What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

LineBall

Juniors
This is only year one. Keep the rule and teams/players/coaches will start manipulating it further.

More wrestling, more limb manipulation, more BS in the ruck.

Actually the opposite is happening. Players have to let go so the defender can complete the strip.

T-Boon

Coach
If the ball runner is charging into a tackle knowing it will be a two or three man tackle his main priority should be to maintain possession of the ball. Anything outside of that should come with a degree of risk.

If you're skillful enough and the reward for offloading the ball outweighs the risk in going for the offload then offloads will remain a vital part of the game.

Yes players should be coached to avoid running at certain players.

Danish

Referee
Honestly coaches should just start training their players to start cheap shotting Hodgson when he attempts it.

Deploy the standard Cam Smith or Gallen tactics - pinching skin, kneading muscles, stomping on hands/ankles in the tackle, etc. make him earn those strips.

If the refs are fair dinkum though, they’ll also start penalising for “hands on the ball” immediately after they call held. I’m basically fine with the stripping rule, but they can’t allow these deliberate tackles to also slow down the play the ball

Surely

Post Whore
Joke , some games it's just about every tackle they are having a go at stripping

Two guys tackle one wraps up the ball two drop off and the other tries reefing it free.

Don't know what game you call that but it's not rugby league.

nick87

Coach
Honestly coaches should just start training their players to start cheap shotting Hodgson when he attempts it.

Deploy the standard Cam Smith or Gallen tactics - pinching skin, kneading muscles, stomping on hands/ankles in the tackle, etc. make him earn those strips.

But who are they going to cheap shot? Guys who arent the ball carrier coming into the ruck to come at a defender?
Sounds great to me, we'll take those mandatory penalties all day!

Pete Cash

Post Whore

If the refs are fair dinkum though, they’ll also start penalising for “hands on the ball” immediately after they call held. I’m basically fine with the stripping rule, but they can’t allow these deliberate tackles to also slow down the play the ball

lmao dry your eyes Danish

LineBall

Juniors
Joke , some games it's just about every tackle they are having a go at stripping

Two guys tackle one wraps up the ball two drop off and the other tries reefing it free.

Don't know what game you call that but it's not rugby league.
And how many were successful? By the way some of you are bitching about it you would think a strip occurs every set.

nick87

Coach
The Raiders lead the league in this stat and do so by a GIANT margin. They average less than 1 per game.
Dont get it twisted guys, this is a huge play and a potential momemtum swing, but there has been 76 strips this season going into this week's footy, across 144 games. So there this happens once every 2 games.

TheDMC

Bench
Actually the opposite is happening. Players have to let go so the defender can complete the strip.

Yep, after 5 seconds of wrestling them until one dude is ready to start the strip, which can go on for another 5+ seconds

Danish

Referee
But who are they going to cheap shot? Guys who arent the ball carrier coming into the ruck to come at a defender?
Sounds great to me, we'll take those mandatory penalties all day!

I think I pretty clearly stated the person to cheap shot is Hodgson. The person doing it would be the ball carrier.

Ball carriers deploy dirty tactics all the time in tackles. You can’t penalise a ball carrier for grabbing a defender’s arm or standing on a defender’s hand/ankle as they get up to play the ball. Blokes have been doing that for 100 years

Surely

Post Whore
And how many were successful? By the way some of you are bitching about it you would think a strip occurs every set.

Not every tackle used to be a wrestle when the wrestle first started either.

It’s going to become more and prevalent, two in the Souths sharks game last, your once every two games is going to change fairly quickly.

carcharias

Immortal

So
Be like Jared Warea Hargreaves?

LineBall

Juniors
Not every tackle used to be a wrestle when the wrestle first started either.

It’s going to become more and prevalent, two in the Souths sharks game last, your once every two games is going to change fairly quickly.

I hope it does happen more often. It adds more variety and excitement to the game.