What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

no name

Coach
If the refs are fair dinkum though, they’ll also start penalising for “hands on the ball” immediately after they call held. I’m basically fine with the stripping rule, but they can’t allow these deliberate tackles to also slow down the play the ball
This is an issue I see with it.

When a player attempts a one on one rake, they are a given way too much time on the ground with their hands all over the ball, slowing down the ruck.

Usually, when a tackle is made with players not attempting to rake it, any time hands get placed on the ball it’s a penalty.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think I pretty clearly stated the person to cheap shot is Hodgson. The person doing it would be the ball carrier.

Ball carriers deploy dirty tactics all the time in tackles. You can’t penalise a ball carrier for grabbing a defender’s arm or standing on a defender’s hand/ankle as they get up to play the ball. Blokes have been doing that for 100 years

Lmao well I hope the roosters players try and pinch him in the tackle making the ball less securely held

Just lol at you thinking a hooker is going to be bothered by rough stuff in the ruck

Danish

Referee
Lmao well I hope the roosters players try and pinch him in the tackle making the ball less securely held

Just lol at you thinking a hooker is going to be bothered by rough stuff in the ruck

To be honest I just find it cute how excited all you Raiders fans are getting

t-ba

Post Whore
I feel as though players should not be given so much time once held is called after attempting a strip, but that's about the only change I'd make. Turn it into an even higher risk higher reward situation.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
164747.jpg

Danish

Referee
C'mon now... you just suggested ball carriers pinch Hodgson as retribution! Who are you? my 3 year old daughter?

It’s a pretty standard tactic deployed by props and other forwards, brought in by the storm obviously.

Ol’ canny Smith loves to knead people’s calves and biceps in tackles

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I feel as though players should not be given so much time once held is called after attempting a strip, but that's about the only change I'd make. Turn it into an even higher risk higher reward situation.
Dunamis Lui got penalised for stripping the ball when the held call was pretty much simultaneous. I don't think they're being given any time to strip after the held call.

t-ba

Post Whore
Dunamis Lui got penalised for stripping the ball when the held call was pretty much simultaneous. I don't think they're being given any time to strip after the held call.

More to do with tacklers being given more time after call is held when they attempt a strip. It really slows down the play the ball.

Tiger5150

Bench

Hodgsons second strip against the Tigers was a joke and should have been a penalty to Tigers ( I totally understand this is a "my team" whinge). The Tigers player was already on the ground, lying on the ground, Hodgson dives on him whilst he is on the ground. The moment a player is laid a hand on him while he is on the ground he is held. Hodgson goes the wrestle. Referee ACTUALLY calls HELD! Hodgson strips the ball, then Ref calls play on.