What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banned Carney considering NFL

The Colonel

Immortal
<H1>Carney given bar job by 'boofheads'
BY KYLE MACKEY-LAWS

4/03/2009 1:00:00 AM
Meet the Barron Valley Hotel's newest employee Todd Carney.
The sacked Canberra Raiders halfback yesterday signed with the Atherton Roosters in the Cairns District Rugby League. He will also work at the hotel in the town of 7000 people.
Roosters president Mick Nasser, whose family has owned the hotel for 79 years, said Carney would have the chance to earn up to $1000 a week at the hotel.
He said Carney would be used largely to move stock in the hotel's kitchen and bottle shop.
Carney will live at the hotel, and Nasser said he ''won't have to put his hand in his pocket''.
''He'll be looked after, he's coming to a good family, and this hotel is a very friendly place. He will love it up here, it's God's country here in Atherton.''
Raiders chairman John McIntyre has concerns about Carney who was sacked after a number of alcohol-fuelled incidents working in a hotel.
''I can't believe it there must be some boofheads up there,'' McIntyre said.
''I don't believe that's the environment Todd should be in.
''It's another question of his management and whether they are making the best decision in the interest of Todd's future life.''
But Nasser defended Carney's new job.
''He'll be working in the hotel in hospitality and accommodation it will mainly be accommodation and in the bottle shop and I think the whole thing will be good for him,'' Nasser said. Carney last year admitted, ''I'm no alcoholic, but I do have a problem with alcohol and when I get drunk.''
</H1>

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...rney-given-bar-job-by-boofheads/1449449.aspx#

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...arney-given-bar-job-by-boofheads/1449449.aspx

The Colonel

Immortal
<H2>Carney rules the roost
Emma Greenwood
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
© The Cairns Post

THE Atherton Roosters are c**k-a-hoop after pulling off a massive coup in signing former NRL bad boy Todd Carney to a Cairns District Rugby League contract.
Carney arrived in the Far North on Monday and signed his Roosters contract at the Barron Valley Hotel yesterday morning after he and manager David Riolo met club officials at Atherton on Monday night.
The contract was registered with the CDRL yesterday with Carney now waiting for a clearance from the Canberra Raiders, the club that sacked him last August after a string of
alcohol-related incidents.
Raiders boss John McIntyre told The Cairns Post last month there was no way he would allow the former star halfback to play anywhere except Goulburn, Carney’s home town and Canberra’s feeder competition.
But Riolo said the Raiders had no grounds not to grant a clearance given they sacked Carney last year and he was no longer on their books.
While clearances go through individual clubs, Riolo has consulted NRL chief executive David Gallop about the move.
"I spoke to David Gallop today and he said as far as he was concerned there was no issue with Todd playing in Atherton," Riolo said last night.
"Todd just wants to get on with his life.
"He’s applied to be registered and is going through the registration
process.
"Hopefully, there’s no issues but if there are, we’ll deal with that at the time."
CDRL secretary Pat Bailey said timing of the clearance would depend on how quickly Canberra acted on the request.
While the electronic request was lodged yesterday, the star halfback did not jump the queue.
"He will be treated the same as any other player that requires a clearance," Bailey said.
Atherton president Mick Nasser congratulated Carney on looking to bush footy to restart his career.
"For a player of his standard to step back to the grassroots, I take my hat off to him and his management for supporting him," Nasser said.
"The boost for us is unbelievable.
"It’s going to be great for rugby league all over North Queensland and especially the Cairns District Rugby League." Carney is likely to take on a coaching role at the club, linking with former Raiders teammate Josh Blatch on the Roosters coaching staff.
And Nasser said he had been impressed at Carney’s willingness to become involved at all levels of the club.
"The first thing he said was: "I want to get involved with (coaching) your juniors’," Nasser said.
"He has a job to go to and all he wants to do is play footy and get on with it.
"I think the clearance should just be a formality. Everyone is pretty excited about it up here of course."
</H2>http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/03/04/31581_local-sport-news.html

LESStar58

Referee
Banned Carney considering NFL

Adrian Proszenko | February 22, 2009

TODD CARNEY has met NFL scouts to discuss an offer to trial in the US during his NRL ban.
The NFL scouts of Australian-based NFL OzPunt are taking a delegation of eight locals, headed by former Sydney Swan Nick Davis, to the US in March for a month of trials in front of gridiron coaches. Carney met OzPunt representative Paul Shepherd in Goulburn on Thursday about the possibility of joining them.
The former Canberra five-eighth is deregistered from the NRL for 2009 and, with no other football options available to him, agreed to discuss the opportunity.
"We just had a chat about what it's all about," Carney told The Sun-Herald.
"I haven't got anything on at the moment so I thought I'd check it out."
The 22-year-old is in rugby league purgatory after visa problems prevented him from joining the English Super League, while the NRL won't register him this season following his termination from the Raiders after his involvement in several off-field incidents.
While Carney's main goal is to reignite his rugby league career, his manager David Riolo conceded the NFL offer could provide an outlet for a client with dwindling options in 2009.
"If [OzPunt] came back and said they want to take him to the States to trial with some NFL teams in March and April - and Todd's not playing rugby league or union or anything else - we'd go and have a look," Riolo said.
"But in qualifying that, it's not his deadset goal to play in the NFL. If something happened down the track, it would be a bonus while he's not playing rugby league.
"But rugby league is still his first love and he wants to get back into the NRL."
OzPunt officials believe Carney could make it as a kicker in American football, but the young playmaker will only get an invitation if he convinces them he's serious about a code switch.
"We believe there is an opportunity for Todd in the States," Shepherd said.
"We're more than happy to talk further if know he's committed to playing in the NFL.
"We don't want to be seen as a stop-gap option for anyone; we're only interested in people committed to the opportunity we can offer them."
It's understood that seven NRL clubs have expressed an interest in recruiting Carney from 2010. However, it appears he'll have to sit out the 2009 NRL season.
Penrith coach Matthew Elliott, who coached Carney when at the Raiders, said the youngster had already paid a sufficient price for his indiscretions.
"For Todd, it's hard to disassociate myself because I have a personal attachment to the kid," Elliott said. "I think he should be allowed to play NRL and the club to have first choice of his services is Canberra.
"I'm not for a minute saying he should be allowed to play for the same level of income he was receiving. Not only has he paid the price for his actions - he's not in jail, he's not in court for anything - he will continue to pay that price for a long time.
"He will go from being 'The disgraced Todd Carney' to 'The once-troubled Todd Carney'; he's got years before he's described in a positive manner.
"We're denying a kid an opportunity to earn income in an area in which he's best at. He's played his part in that, no doubt … but I think the punishment has outweighed the crime."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/banned-carney-considering-nfl/2009/02/21/1234633129939.html

carney_narrowweb__300x386,0.jpg

LOL

Where the hell would he play? A punter maybe?

FFS, Todd; do your penance and come back next year!

Latest posts