What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banned Carney considering NFL

Brimmer

Juniors
What an A grade clown...

My suggestion to him is to take up darts... if you're good, there's money to be made...and drinking beer is almost a pre-requisite.

ozjet1

sure about that? i read he was 6'0 which is still small for a QB?

5'10"-180lbs, or 178cm-82kg in our language. was a midget for a QB. to be a decent QB, a guy needs to be at least 6'2" nowadays....cant be too much shorter as they need to be able to see over their offensive lines, and they regularly get pummelled by 6'5"-260lb defensive ends. drew brees is only 6'0".... generally big boys tho.....Peyton Manning is 6'5"-230lbs, Tom Brady is 6'4"-225lbs, Brett Favre is 6'2"-222lbs, Ben Roethlisberger is 6'5"-241lbs.

ozjet1

I daresay race is irrelevent to what you're talking about.
What you're listing is the attributes of smaller athletes.

What most of the African American players do have in bucketloads is fast twitch fibres that are superior to your white guy.
They have ridiculous explosive power.

And yeah I had Sproles in mind too,which is why I laughed at people saying Carney is too short to play RB.
But yeah he hasn't got nearly enough agility.

i reckon the flexibility that im referring to is as much of an asset to them as their speed. but generally, they can put on the breaks too....watching them get their hips as low as they do, turning and weaving, then flicking the switch from a standing start is quite a sight.....athleticism at its finest.

cant think of many white boys who are currently playing the HB role at any club.........Justin Fargas is mixed race, and Jacob Hester went through college as a HB, but is used mostly as a FB with the Chargers. Nick Goings from Carolina is the last white fella i can think of who got regular snaps as a HB, and that was a few seasons ago.

its quite interesting how most positions are dominated by race in american football. Kicker, Punter, QB, and many on the offensive lines are predominantly white. RB, WR, and defenses are predominantly black. there's probably an even spread at TE and FB.

Chachi

Bench
NFL = Not F**king Likely

I guess if that doesn't work he could try out for Manchester United. I think they kick a bit in that game too.

Back in the real world, I wonder if David Riolo will still get 5% of his trolly boy wage?

monaroCountry

Juniors
He can't defend for sh*t so he couldn't play on D.

Compared to NFL players he would be the best defender. Those NFL players cant tackle if their life depended on it, arms and legs going everywhere it seems.

Have a look at this video, all NFL regulars flew threw the air trying to make a spectacular hit, ending up with their faces in the turf. Sav Rocca who is an old AFL player stopped the carrier dead in his track. A rugby league player like Todd would have hammered that guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYyOvoolACo

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Compared to NFL players he would be the best defender. Those NFL players cant tackle if their life depended on it, arms and legs going everywhere it seems.

Have a look at this video, all NFL regulars flew threw the air trying to make a spectacular hit, ending up with their faces in the turf. Sav Rocca who is an old AFL player stopped the carrier dead in his track. A rugby league player like Todd would have hammered that guy.

lol good one mate, Sav Rocca slaming Roscoe Parish, Roscoe is only about 5'9:lol: he gets smashed every week like that :lol:

Shorty

Staff member
its quite interesting how most positions are dominated by race in american football. Kicker, Punter, QB, and many on the offensive lines are predominantly white. RB, WR, and defenses are predominantly black. there's probably an even spread at TE and FB.
Yes it is.
It's ironic that there are racists and rednecks that peddle the whole 'superior race' crap cause really,at least from an athleticism point of view it's severely inaccurate.

bluesbreaker

Bench

:lol: I take it you don't watch too much NFL. let's see Carney tackle like Julius Peppers or Warren Sapp

Raider_69

Post Whore
i've seen carney tackle willie mason, one on one, at full pace. All carney has to do is force the player down by contact. Im certain he could do that on just about any player in the nfl. His technique would take their legs out more times then not.

I don't think defense would be a big issue. But this is all pointless since 1. he wont go 2. If he did it would be as a punter 3. He cant stay off the cans long enough to make a good fist of it. And 4. His boot just isn't big enough to be successful. Its long or high. Not both in the same kick, which is what he'd need to be successful

Shorty

Staff member
^I think in general NRL players would struggle with NFL defence.
The tackle is far more impact orientated.
In NRL tacking is used for dominance,in NFL it's to get someone to the ground as quick as possible.

Sleep

Juniors
Warren Sapp is retired and Julius Peppers is a defensive end. He wouldn't be tackling them. Nor would he be playing a defensive position.

Carney could be a punter that's it. He isn't nearly agile or quick enough for RB and he's too small for anywhere else on the field. A QB is a tough position to play, he doesn't have nearly enough time to learn.

Mason was never going to make it over there. That was the biggest media beat up ever.

kbw

Bench
Lets use extreme examples of players that were small. Why not for something differernt look at the normal standard runing back.
I will say it again Carney is too small, not necessarily to do with height. He is snot a big enough build nor strong enough. He would get smashed and I am convinced he would not even make 90% of college teams.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ron, Flutie was around the 5-9 or 5-10 mark. Which by modern standards is small for a qb. But there is always exceptions to the rule.

True, but Carney aint an exception. Never played the game in his life.
This is all pie in the sky stuff....just like when they talked about Glichrist playing MLB...Mason playing NFL....and a Union vs League game scheduled for 2009/10 (good one Paul Kent)
Its allllllllllllllllllllllllll BS.

Shorty

Staff member
Lets use extreme examples of players that were small.
Extreme?
Um the top 5 RB in NFL would feature at least two players not only under 6'0
" but well under.

He is not too small for RB.
You need to watch some Darren Sproles clips or something.