What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett deal all but done

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23602469-5012657,00.html

TRENT Barrett's father says Wigan will not prevent the former Test pivot from returning to Australia, paving the way for Barrett to reunite with St George Illawarra.
Bruce Barrett spoke to his son on Friday and believes Wigan will take a sympathetic view to Trent's homesickness issues.
"He thinks Wigan will give him a release, I don't think they will stand in his way,'' Barrett snr said.
"I'm pretty sure they will let him go. As a parent, I'm over the moon he's coming home.
"Wigan could not have looked after him better. He's not unhappy with the football over there, but Kylie (Barrett's wife) is homesick. They have two young kids and another one on the way _ that's brought everything forward.''
Bruce Barrett confirmed his son wanted out of Wigan and is prepared to accept a pay cut to play under Wayne Bennett at the Dragons.
Barrett will meet with Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan on Tuesday (AEST) to discuss the reasons for leaving.
With his Wigan deal worth $600,000 a season, he will sacrifice between $200,000 and $300,000 annually should he return to the NRL.
Barrett, who turns 31 in November, refused to guarantee he would be at Wigan next season when contacted by The Sunday Telegraph.
"I can't say too much but I'll be meeting with Ian (Lenagan) on Monday. There's a few things I need to discuss with him,'' Barrett said.
Asked if he was keen to play under Bennett at the Dragons in 2009, Barrett said: ``I don't want to comment on the Dragons at the moment.

"With my contract, I've got the rest of this year and next year at Wigan. I've played under Wayne when he was coaching Australia and the Dragons would be pleased to have him, but I don't want to say much more than that.

"I've had a really good time over here and Wigan are a fantastic club, I'm really enjoying the football. I'm coming back from injury on Sunday and then I'll talk to Ian. I'll know more this week.''

The Sharks and Bulldogs are understood to be keen on luring the former Dragons skipper, but Bruce Barrett predicted his son would head to his old club.
He revealed money was not an issue, with Trent keen to put family contentment ahead of financial reward.
"I think he will play for the Dragons, yeah,'' Bruce said.
"The salary cap is biting here so I don't know how things would work financially. Trent is quite prepared to come home and play for less money. He just wants to come home. I'm told Melbourne are keen but there's no way he'll go there. He said he wants to come back to Wollongong.
"He doesn't know what's going on at this stage. He's told me he loves the football there but his wife is having a baby and she misses home.
"Apparently it's rained for the past eight weeks over there and they're missing the Australian way of life.''

grandorient

Bench
Wow, what a decision to have to make.
Dropping from $600,000 to 3 or 4 back home, thats a pile of money. If I was Trent I think I would send Kylie back home for a good holiday, join her when he can and play out the contract with Wigan. How long is the season over there, similar to ours I suspect. Six months more and he would be home.

To be perfectly honest, I have never been a great fan of Trents, good footballer, but not one of the greats. Certainly not up to the standard say of a Freddie Fittler.

I dunno about this, a lot of money to outlay to get hime back, is Trent worth $400k?

GrandOrient

_Johnsy

Referee
If he wants to come back and wear the big red V again, and take a reported 50% pay cut as well. What is the club waiting for?
user1919_1157417092.jpg

Welcome home baz. I will applaud you as well.

_Johnsy

Referee
it was in reference to the times anyone was injured and expected back in two weeks, when it was always a 6-8 week injury.

AdamStoy

Juniors
If he comes back i swear to god i'm going to Loose It!!!!! hehehe come back Trent!!!!! We miss you!!

Edit: How would Barrett returning this year effect the Wendell Sailor deal???

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Barrett is cap exempt for first year as he is coming from Super League. A nice loop hole that I'm surprised isn't exploited more.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Well the good thing for us if we get him over is that the first season back from the English Super League is SALARY CAP EXEMPT.

So we can load all of Baz's contract at the front end.

Say we offer him $1.2 million over 3 years, we could potentially pay $850,000 in Year 1, and $175,000 in Years 2 and 3.

Perhaps there are rules against it?

If so, we can offer Barrett $400,000 over 3 years, and Southern Cross Constructions might be tempted to build him a new house in the Gong, free of charge

drake

First Grade
We could top load him, I'm not sure of the legalities of it.
Also match payments would be a good plan.
We'd only pay him one week a month.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Happy Days. If Baz comes back I will be over the moon. Geez I miss this bloke.

All you Barrett haters will see a champion play under a champion Coach. He will improve the attack 100%. You guys will see his rep form continue at club level as he will have a great coach in charge of him at club level and not only Rep level.

If we don't win the comp next year or get close I will be suprised as these 2 new signings (Baz and BEnny) are the best signing the club has done in 10+ years..............

Syren

Juniors
Careful with the "front loader"... Say 800k in year 1 and 150k in year 2, he could potentially play great when money is being paid in the first year but does little in the second. We always have to be wary of those things and not pay over the top.

grandorient

Bench
To Ronnie Dobbs and Loyal Dragon,

Where is it said that Barrett will be salary cap exempt for the first year, can't find that anywhere.

Regards
GrandOrient

Latest posts