What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett OUT, Johns IN

Frailty

First Grade
I would rather gamble with Kimmorely than Johns who has played 8 games in the past two years. And not to mention in those games he has not played well.

And TinghaInMotion... with a name like that I would have thought you would have shut your mouth with your obvious lack choice in good players. Keep your mouth quiet when those three halfback have been the form halfbacks over this year... (Well, except Gower, but at least he HAS played this year).

Broncodroid

Juniors
You gotta' love being a NSW player, um, remind me, who was the deemed backup halfback to Brett Kimmorley in the 30 man squad prior to Game 1 of the series? Craig Gower is the answer. Again, why bother with this trivial BS each year!

Well, this is the halfback rankings as of right now in NSW according to selectors:

1 - Trent Barrett
2 - Andrew Johns
3 - ????? ?????

Again, Brett Kimmorley should of never have been dropped yet now, the best halfback in the comp for the opening half of the season cannot get a call up when the guy who replaced him is injured? Red line through the name or not, where is this NSW loyalty Ricky was crapping on about pre-series and during the first week of Origin?

Now to Andrew Johns.

The former world's best footballer WILL lift for this encounter, NSW are hoping they make it a trifecta in all-time greats coming back to lift a side (Langer, Fittler and now Johns) to victory.

As a QLD fan, am I worried? No.

Will Johns win this thing on his own? No.

Though he will be a steady influence steering the ship for NSW and will ultimately run out of petrol in the first half. Count on it. Don't expect Johns miracles, don't expect a Man Of the Match performance...Johns's presence and leadership is what he is there for. Alot of the playmaking will fall to Anasta, heaven help NSW.

Johns was nothing special in his first comeback game against Brisbane and he was unable to make any real penetration. His kicking game more often than not found Hunt and if he is down vs Slater, NSW will have a huge headache all night.

The panic button has been pushed....

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock.................

Misanthrope

Staff member
The ignorance of some fans astounds me. Just because a side is down the ladder doesn't mean that some of its players aren't playing well.

Kid

Juniors
Broncodroid said:
You gotta' love being a NSW player, um, remind me, who was the deemed backup halfback to Brett Kimmorley in the 30 man squad prior to Game 1 of the series? Craig Gower is the answer. Again, why bother with this trivial BS each year!

Well, this is the halfback rankings as of right now in NSW according to selectors:

1 - Trent Barrett
2 - Andrew Johns
3 - ????? ?????

Again, Brett Kimmorley should of never have been dropped yet now, the best halfback in the comp for the opening half of the season cannot get a call up when the guy who replaced him is injured? Red line through the name or not, where is this NSW loyalty Ricky was crapping on about pre-series and during the first week of Origin?

Now to Andrew Johns.

The former world's best footballer WILL lift for this encounter, NSW are hoping they make it a trifecta in all-time greats coming back to lift a side (Langer, Fittler and now Johns) to victory.

As a QLD fan, am I worried? No.

Will Johns win this thing on his own? No.

Though he will be a steady influence steering the ship for NSW and will ultimately run out of petrol in the first half. Count on it. Don't expect Johns miracles, don't expect a Man Of the Match performance...Johns's presence and leadership is what he is there for. Alot of the playmaking will fall to Anasta, heaven help NSW.

Johns was nothing special in his first comeback game against Brisbane and he was unable to make any real penetration. His kicking game more often than not found Hunt and if he is down vs Slater, NSW will have a huge headache all night.

The panic button has been pushed....

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock.................
So your not a Johns fan?

Broncodroid

Juniors
kid...

Actually, I am a Andrew Johns fan though I am not dwelling on past performances and go around rating him off that. I will do that when the man retires not now where is not in the top 3-4 halfbacks in the NRL at the moment.

chriswalkerbush said:
The ignorance of some fans astounds me. Just because a side is down the ladder doesn't mean that some of its players aren't playing well.

Your right.

Some of the games worst ever sides had players giving 100% each and every week though the same cannot be said for his team mates.

Johns is giving 100% but his not playing well...hard pill to swallow, though it's a fact. He played ok vs NZ before once again getting injured and he was ok vs Brisbane in his return game.

IMO, Johns will struggle in Origin 2 more with the speed of the game than anything. There will be glimpses of Johns magic, though I think the panic button has been pushed.

Time will tell...this could be a defining moment for Andrew Johns or a disaster if he struggles and is dropped for game 3...

morri (cWo)

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:

Aren't playing well?

Try not playing at all.

lazza

Juniors
Johns looked tired at the end of the brisbane match only cos they were losing.

NSW by 20+ with johns...

kimmorley should have been dropped.. his kicking game was poor, passing poor which led to mistakes and lots of tackles and no pressure on qld.

thats why the halfback is so important.. if they do their job right, everyone else plays easier.

wittyfan

Referee
NSW by 20+? Why be so conservative? I expect a 40 point win to NSW with Joey back. In fact, the 56 points scored in 2000 will be eclipsed.

Queensland will simply be overwhelmed by Johns currently being in the zenith of his powers.

Broncodroid

Juniors
If the forwards do their job in laying the platform for the halfback, his job is easier and 9 times out of 10 a great half will win you the game. NSW's forwards let Kimmorley down, simple as that. He paid the price and has been made the "scapegoat".

Johns looked tired at the end of the brisbane match only cos they were losing.

Johns looked tired as he was just that....

He can do all the fitness in the world whilst injured though nothing beats match fitness. This will ring true on Wednesday night IMO...Origin is three times as fast as a normal NRL match.

Johns, like Lockyer, will see a whole lot of forwards running at him.

lazza

Juniors
I disagree bout the fwds, he missed a lot of kicks.. a lot of kimmorley's kicks went dead or straight to the fullback and even basic drop outs sh*thouse and went 30m at best.. u cant blame the fwds for that..

the last grubber he made against qld when we were up 20-19, if he hada kept that in goal, we had a much better chance (i'd say a 70-80% increase) of winning the game.. yet those things arnt criticised.

true qld will run at johns, but he wont miss tackles like kimmorley does.. he had 9 missed tackles... cant blame fwds for that.

he also gave away 2 penalties, 1 for something basic and not going back the 10 off a qld 20m tap... cant blame the fwds for that

lazza

Juniors
and they might even start him on the bench so he misses the first 15-20mins..so he's fresher at the end.

Broncodroid

Juniors
No, Johns will not miss many tackles, he is the greatest defending halfback I have seen and could easily defend in the forwards as he has done before.

As for the above comment, I was thinking that.

Ricky Stuart may throw Craig Wing in at halfback in the early exchanges in which Andrew Johns misses the brunt of the 'tough stuff' coming to steer them around. I would be none surprised if Ricky goes that way...he is one who loves to chop and change his Sydney side before kick off.

tye

Juniors
Kimmorly has been the better 1/2 back for the last 3 years and SHOULD be there on form.......

lazza

Juniors
Broncodroid As for the above comment said:
Ricky Stuart may throw Craig Wing in at halfback in the early exchanges in which Andrew Johns misses the brunt of the 'tough stuff' coming to steer them around.[/b] .

Great minds think alike :D

Frailty

First Grade
lazza you will actually find the forwards have a big impact on halfback's kicking game. If they dont go forward. Defensive line is set before ball it played and are able to rush up.

Secondly, Kimmorley did 15 kicks to barrett's 2. Why did Barrett go M.I.A.

I can accept kimmorley being dropped. He didnt play well, and should have been in SOO2, but i can see why he was dropped. But why replace him firstly with a 5/8th and than a player who has played 8 games in 2 years, not to mention those games havent been impressive at club level.

TinghaInMotion

Juniors
Frailty said:
And TinghaInMotion... with a name like that I would have thought you would have shut your mouth with your obvious lack choice in good players. Keep your mouth quiet when those three halfback have been the form halfbacks over this year... (Well, except Gower, but at least he HAS played this year).

Listen chump, I will say what i like. Those three half backs are very good NRL standard players but they just cannot cut it at the top level.

Joey will not have to carry the team on his back like he did with the Knights. There will be good players around him to take the pressure off him and he can pick and choose when he wants to get involved. Just like Alfie did when he came back a few years ago.

It's too bad Baz won't be there to help him out. That would have been a great combo.

Joey, Fittler, Langer, Lockyer etc are some of the greats of the game. The likes of Gower, Kimmorley and Orford are very good First Grade players. That is the difference.

lazza

Juniors
Frailty said:
lazza you will actually find the forwards have a big impact on halfback's kicking game. If they dont go forward. Defensive line is set before ball it played and are able to rush up.

Secondly, Kimmorley did 15 kicks to barrett's 2. Why did Barrett go M.I.A.

I can accept kimmorley being dropped. He didnt play well, and should have been in SOO2, but i can see why he was dropped. But why replace him firstly with a 5/8th and than a player who has played 8 games in 2 years, not to mention those games havent been impressive at club level.

I dunno why barret didnt kick.. im not the coach.. perhaps it was assigned to kimmorley? perhaps its cos he's a ball hog? i dunno

i can accept the defence rushing at him, but why didnt he stand deeper? why were his drop outs so sh*t? no defence running at him.

but i can see your point with johns.. if they hada picked orford, i wouldnt really have had a problem with it., since i think he deserves a shot.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:

3/17 Or 17% of your team. And you are trying to tell me that Johns and Buderus are in form and fit? You have to be kidding. I will except Simpson, but not the other 2.

Have a read of the Broncodroid account for Joey in his signature....

There have been plenty of players miss selection for being in a badly performed side. And not even in important positions like halfback and hooker.

It's a bloody disgrace that Gower, Orford... Hell even Kimmorley can't make the side over Johns who has played less footy in 2 years then they have fingers. I bet any of them would only need one finger to show the selectors what they think of their selections.... Even if NSW win, god help them for game 3.