What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barry toohey in the telegraph

Alex28

Coach
The signing of Barba and Henry by the Bulldogs goes exactly against what the two guys have said they want out of next year. If they also retain Kimmorley next year both of them are going to play second fiddle again.

What is becoming a real concern is that we aren't able to sign anybody of great potential or is well established even with substantial cash available. Whether it is the perception of the club, the area, the staff, the management - it is something that needs to be fixed by (or at) the AGM otherwise we will have yet another wasted year next year.

Alex28

Coach
They arnt looking like a "fractured" side tonight against the Warriors
Exactly. No one really knows whats going on within the club other than those inside, and what's being reported in the media needs to be taken with a grain of salt...

Apey

Staff member
Probably end up with Finch and Quinn like others have said... some more world-beaters...

Yosh

Coach
Throw 1m a year at Bellamy and I assure everyone in this forum he'll make us a top 4 team for the next decade.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not that Kevin Moore is the kind of established coach that players leap at the chance to play for, but he's got the backing of the successful Bulldogs' machine to help him lure players to the club. There's something prestigious about pulling on the Bulldogs' colors, and I say this as a person with little or no liking of the club.

When we can't even seem to get our beloved local boys to pull on the jersey and wear it with pride and passion, it begs the question - how do we convince players who don't know and/or love Newcastle to want to do it?

When our administrative package isn't at all appealing, we really do need a coach who can pull the players here himself. Smith did that despite his reputation. Stone can't do that, and he definitely can't do it on the back of the team's reputation for its lack of professionalism.

Alex28

Coach
Maybe that is part of it Chris - when the Bulldogs players pull their jersey on the fans get behind all of them. When the Knights players pull their jersey on, the fans get behind the local players first and foremost.

The "local" thing is no longer the strength of the club, it is the anchor holding us back.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't know that it's a case of the locals only getting behind other locals. Once you're a Newcastle player, by and large, you get cheered and treated like royalty all the same.

I think the problem lies with making the room to bring in those outside players who become cult heroes of their own. Nobody's ever really complained that we've signed somebody from out of town - it's the release of somebody from in town to make salary cap room that gets the pitchforks waving.

stuke

Bench
the front office needs to be right before anything else.

why would big name players come to the Knights when you have a 'no-name' coach, always linked to being financially in trouble and a 'jobs for the boys' attitude.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Maybe that is part of it Chris - when the Bulldogs players pull their jersey on the fans get behind all of them. When the Knights players pull their jersey on, the fans get behind the local players first and foremost.

The "local" thing is no longer the strength of the club, it is the anchor holding us back.
Im not sure this is correct mate, historically or currently

Players like Robbie O, Maddog, BK, Parso and Sarge enjoyed the fans support since day one of their arrival here.

I think Miso is right, its when locals get moved on that starts all the bitching and moaning

I don't know that it's a case of the locals only getting behind other locals. Once you're a Newcastle player, by and large, you get cheered and treated like royalty all the same.

I think the problem lies with making the room to bring in those outside players who become cult heroes of their own. Nobody's ever really complained that we've signed somebody from out of town - it's the release of somebody from in town to make salary cap room that gets the pitchforks waving.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Truer words have never been spoken...

While I don't regret letting Smith go, I do wish he'd had the time needed to get his vision across. Sad fact is, whoever we hire to replace Stone (and Christ, I hope we're looking into it if things continue this way) will have to go through it again - complete with whinging players, poorly written Newcastle Herald articles, and angry old ladies.

Latest posts