What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle for the Gold Coast- DT article today

Paullyboy

Coach
That's not the point I was trying to make, I think it's good to have a presence on the Gold Coast. My point was that if we are relying on the team to be successful on the field constantly, then they won't survive because the fans will abandon them.

The biggest problem is what was pointed out earlier, the AFL have essentially rigged their competition to ensure the Suns are a super team for the next 10 years. If one team is going well, and the other is not, you can guarantee the crowd will completely abandon one (wouldn't matter what the sport is, it's just the Gold Coast way).

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
That's not the point I was trying to make, I think it's good to have a presence on the Gold Coast. My point was that if we are relying on the team to be successful on the field constantly, then they won't survive because the fans will abandon them.

The biggest problem is what was pointed out earlier, the AFL have essentially rigged their competition to ensure the Suns are a super team for the next 10 years. If one team is going well, and the other is not, you can guarantee the crowd will completely abandon one (wouldn't matter what the sport is, it's just the Gold Coast way).

Let's face it.
Putting the Tits in was a joke. Michael Searle has gone from being a nobody suddenly to the "go to" man to fix rugby league. Joke.

Has anyone seen a full analysis of the Centre of Excellence? Or is it another 30 year potential Cronulla-style development?

Within 2 years of launch. the Tits are forced to go to the NRL for early grant payments. Alarm bells should be going beserk.

And now, people are saying that an extra $1 million a year NRL grant will be their saviour. meanwhile, the NRL comes up with one bullshit excuse after another to keep the CC Bears out of the NRL.

POPEYE

Coach
That's ignorance though. The game has been rigged for them. In 4 years they'll be in the middle of a long premiership window.

From 2013 to 2020, it won't surprise me if the Suns are a top 4 team every single year. Unlike the NRL, the AFL doesn't throw new teams into the deep end of the pool and then walk away to leave them to fend for themselves. They take care of them with a 100 million dollars and enough draft picks to basically guarantee a decade in the top 4 and more than 1 premiership.

The Titans will have nothing like that, they'll have as many years like 2011 as they will years like 2010. And if the people of the Gold Coast are as big bandwagoners as everyone says, it will be a tough decade for the Tits.

All too true unfortunately. The money thrown at Melbourne has paid off ten fold and each new club needs an abnormal degree of assistance. The Titans may have to overcome temptation even if they do have a more pressing reason than Melbourne

Eelectrica

Referee
The problem with the Titans this year is not so much that they're losing, but the way they're losing. If they were at least entertaining and could score a few points I think people would still go. But they can barely evan score a try this year.

It's better to watch a team lose 36-38 than 12-36. Same end result, but different levels of entertainment.

Eelectrica

Referee
Let's face it.
Putting the Tits in was a joke. Michael Searle has gone from being a nobody suddenly to the "go to" man to fix rugby league. Joke.

Has anyone seen a full analysis of the Centre of Excellence? Or is it another 30 year potential Cronulla-style development?

Within 2 years of launch. the Tits are forced to go to the NRL for early grant payments. Alarm bells should be going beserk.

And now, people are saying that an extra $1 million a year NRL grant will be their saviour. meanwhile, the NRL comes up with one bullshit excuse after another to keep the CC Bears out of the NRL.
Wah wah wah.
Titans will survive and are here to stay. One little bump in the road won't spell the end.
Deal with it.

undertaker

Coach
That's ignorance though. The game has been rigged for them. In 4 years they'll be in the middle of a long premiership window.

From 2013 to 2020, it won't surprise me if the Suns are a top 4 team every single year. Unlike the NRL, the AFL doesn't throw new teams into the deep end of the pool and then walk away to leave them to fend for themselves. They take care of them with a 100 million dollars and enough draft picks to basically guarantee a decade in the top 4 and more than 1 premiership.

The Titans will have nothing like that, they'll have as many years like 2011 as they will years like 2010. And if the people of the Gold Coast are as big bandwagoners as everyone says, it will be a tough decade for the Tits.

You are right there, BunniesMan. The pivotal difference between the Titans and the Suns is that the game has been rigged for the Suns. It doesn't matter how crap they go this year, cause in their draft system, they'll get some of the best picks and that eventually, within a short time, will culminate in long-term on-field success. Case in point: less than a decade ago, Geelong and Collingwood were both in the crappers but over time have turned into consistent finalists. Not only to mention that the AFL has already promised to commit $100 million to the Suns. What commitment has been given to the Titans by the NRL?

I do have grave fears for the Titans. From as far back as when I saw their ticket prices in 2008 when they moved to Skilled Park, I knew that this would all turn ugly for them if they had any form slump, given the nature of the demographic of ppl on the Gold Coast (which has already been alluded to earlier, regarding the 'fair-weathered' nature). There's no way that whoever is responsible for the pricing can justify and expect that the stadium is going to get packed out at those prices, except for if the Titans are consistently doing well. Also, I've always had my suspicions about Michael Searle. I know, like Todd Greenberg, he speaks very well in interviews. I don't know why he has such a huge role/influence on the IC. But, nevertheless, when I look at him, there's just something I can't put my finger on.

The gc is an area largely dependent on people using cars. Huge population growth without the needed public transport infrastructure...end of the day it's much easier to drive and park at Carrara compared to robina

beave

Coach
Why is there minimal car parking at Robina?? I haven't had the chance to visit it first hand, all i know is that it's in the middle of nowhere.

Eelectrica

Referee
Why is there minimal car parking at Robina?? I haven't had the chance to visit it first hand, all i know is that it's in the middle of nowhere.

Not really middle of nowhere anymore. The Robina town shopping centre doesn't allow parking for the game.
Personally I don't mind driving to Pacific Fair and jumping on the shuttle bus to ground.

To go the Suns game people still need to use public transport as parking at Carrarra is discouraged.
Difference is Robina has the train station, Carrarra doesn't unless they count Nerang, which is a good 15-20 minute walk away.

meltiger

First Grade
i wonder if the Suns have to pay the levy like Titans and United do?

that's why Palmer keeps crowds low http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-at-skilled-park/story-e6frep5o-1225764125347

Is that a council or state government charge? Do they charge ALL events that require a traffic management plan, or are they just scamming the Robina tenants?

New tv deal can't cone quickly enough. The IC needs to look at this issue all over the country and start subsidizing where needed. Down here it costs nearly 10 bucks more to sit behind the goal line than it does to attend an AFL game. Ridiculous. I think its $2 more than the Rebels too. Utterly ridiculous.

The IC when in place must start to look after these issues.

What's the bet it's cheaper to watch GWS than Parramatta/Tiges/Dogs etc next year too?

mongoose

Coach
I tried posting this on their website in the comments section, but as usual, because I dare poke holes in the arguments raised by a journalist – it doesn’t get printed (despite having no offensive language or derogatory remarks directed at anyone in particular).

The Gold Coast will never be able to support any professional sporting organisation at a consistently strong level because of the population. The people of the Goldy are the definition of fair-weather people (not just fans). A huge percentage of the population moved there literally because of the fairer weather, so you’ve got to realise that the people you are trying to win you over are never going to be there in the good times and the bad – only the good.

If the Titans are successful, they will always have a great level of support and be the #1 team on the Goldy. If they keep playing like they are this year, they won’t be around in 5 years. The same would go for the Suns except the AFL have proven they’ll pay whatever it takes just to have a team hanging around in a city irrespective of what the locals want or think.

This isn't 1988 anymore. The gold coast is basically now part of Brisbane and south brisbane is very well connected to gold coast as far as transport goes. The NRL would be unbeleivably stupid and inept if they let this Gold Coast franchise go under. It just won't happen.

The Titans are experiencing the same as any young team would if they were struggling on the field.

undertaker

Coach
This isn't 1988 anymore. The gold coast is basically now part of Brisbane and south brisbane is very well connected to gold coast as far as transport goes. The NRL would be unbeleivably stupid and inept if they let this Gold Coast franchise go under. It just won't happen.

The Titans are experiencing the same as any young team would if they were struggling on the field.

So, what you wrote basically implies that the NRL won't be so stupid to stuff this up. However, the majority of league supporters have seen otherwise, which is enough to diminish their hope and faith in the NRL. The Gold Coast have had three attempts (Giants, Seagulls and Chargers). Will this be 4th time lucky or unlucky?

Also, what affect will a 2nd Brisbane team have on the Titans?

Stormsally

Juniors
Is that a council or state government charge? Do they charge ALL events that require a traffic management plan, or are they just scamming the Robina tenants?

New tv deal can't cone quickly enough. The IC needs to look at this issue all over the country and start subsidizing where needed. Down here it costs nearly 10 bucks more to sit behind the goal line than it does to attend an AFL game. Ridiculous. I think its $2 more than the Rebels too. Utterly ridiculous.

The IC when in place must start to look after these issues.

What's the bet it's cheaper to watch GWS than Parramatta/Tiges/Dogs etc next year too?

I went to the Test match and Titans v Warriors at Skilled Stadium. I couldn't get over the number of police and security closing roads. We drove and parked - but got there ridiculously early as we like too, and there were roads closed when we were still a few kms away from the stadium. At Aami Park there are two cops on the traffic lights in front of the stadium - and that's it! Sure Qld like to put on extra public transport which I think is great but I think their road closure system is a complete joke and a waste of money that would be part of the surcharge. I have not seen anything like it and I have been to several 'away' grounds holding a lot more people.

Coaster

Bench
Its amazing the rubbish being spoken after a few low crowds, we get 12k we are running dead last, playing like a bunch of cripples and even the staunchest supporter is finding it hard to support the crap dished up at this time, does that mean all the supporters have gone? No it doesnt, it just means like any supporter base that when the team is playing crap, they find it hard to go spend $100 on them.

Manly are in the top 4, and get a crowd of 6K and people want to put a team up the road of them, nobody is questioning the viability of Manly.

We get numbered by a new AFL team who has had in excess of 30mill thrown at them with a new stadium and countless free tickets, and all of a sudden it is a turf war, thats funny, for the last 12 months the AFL have denied any so called turf war, they in fact said they wanted to co-exist, now the war is apparently already won.

How come nobody mentions the fact the Swans have more people at there games then most of the Sydney clubs, yet everyone knows that AFL is a minority sport in Sydney despite that fact. Yet here we have been outdrawn for 1 game and we are already discussing wether the town can support the Titans?

FMD, the sky is falling apparently , Bad season without question, horrible, but that is football, and we are here to stay, so get f*cking used to it

BDGS

Bench
Its amazing the rubbish being spoken after a few low crowds, we get 12k we are running dead last, playing like a bunch of cripples and even the staunchest supporter is finding it hard to support the crap dished up at this time, does that mean all the supporters have gone? No it doesnt, it just means like any supporter base that when the team is playing crap, they find it hard to go spend $100 on them.

But but but but the Titans crowds are inflated. :lol:

Brutus

Referee

Manly are in the top 4, and get a crowd of 6K and people want to put a team up the road of them, nobody is questioning the viability of Manly.

We get numbered by a new AFL team who has had in excess of 30mill thrown at them with a new stadium and countless free tickets, and all of a sudden it is a turf war, thats funny, for the last 12 months the AFL have denied any so called turf war, they in fact said they wanted to co-exist, now the war is apparently already won.

How come nobody mentions the fact the Swans have more people at there games then most of the Sydney clubs, yet everyone knows that AFL is a minority sport in Sydney despite that fact. Yet here we have been outdrawn for 1 game and we are already discussing wether the town can support the Titans?

FMD, the sky is falling apparently , Bad season without question, horrible, but that is football, and we are here to stay, so get f*cking used to it

Good post. There is no way the IC/NRL will let this incarnation of the Gold Coast die. They are here to stay.

NRLMad

Juniors

I agree - the AFL has bought people to watch the games by giving away free tickets. They also subsidise GC games so - end game, they're losing more money. At the the end of the day, the Titans are coming dead last without hope this year. The same goes for the Suns .. they've had the fanfare and glory .. let's see it last :)

beave

Coach
The game needs the GC, but their financial situation is a bit of a worry (getting their grant early over the last 2 years or so). Did they really need that flash ass building (CoE)???? Shouldn't they have looked at getting a proper leagues club up and running and focus on being a profitable club??? I'm just saying this because the cowboys were exactly the same, we took 6 years before we got our own leaugesy going.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Would it be safe to say that the majority of Suns fans are long term AFL fans who have grown up with a culture of attending games and buying memberships etc

How else do you explain crowds of the lions and the swans

Average 30k a game with tv audiences of 90k

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Well said. They are still a young club which has seen their honeymoon period end, while the Suns honeymoon period is at full pace. Use will be fine, the foundations are there and the expected increase in income for the clubs should see the Titans safe.