What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle for the Gold Coast- DT article today

Knightmare

Coach
At least the Titans are doing something about it with members BBQ they've done for the last couple of games and I'd guess will continue to do throughout the season.

Doesn't help the average punter though who doesn't have access to that though.

What the caterers don't understand is that they're digging their own grave. Price things reasonably and people will come back. Rip people off and they'll think twice.

From my experience, Penrith is the best place to go for a game. Beer inside the ground is at pub prices (and full-strength too!) and there are PLENTY of takeaway food outlets within a kilometre of the stadium where you can get your fill before/ after the match. If I lived in the area I would become a Panthers member just for the decent night out- a reasonable priced eat, several beers, then onto Panthers after the match for even more beers!

Knightmare

Coach
I understand Beave, i feel the same hatred towards them.

$26.40 for 4 small cups of mid strength beer and the besterds charged me another .60 cents for a tray. I nearly punched him in the face.

By law they are required to give you free water, due to the licensing act, nope they charge $4.80

I hardly (if ever) get food or drink at the game. The one thing I hate about Skilled is there are no pubs nearby. If you're going to Suncorp, any sensible person will go to one of the establishments on Caxton St before the game and get their neck-full rather than take out a loan for some watered down piss at Suncorp.

undertaker

Coach
I would like to see the Cowboys up here start encouraging tailgating like they do in the states................... will never happen because we live in a nana state but even if they set up a massive big spit roast in a cordoned off area in the carpark with booze and so forth, I reckon it would go down a treat.

We used to have awesome entertainment up here during games, they had a band the 'mad dogs' up in the northern stand that used to play when we scored, great half time entertainment and security that actually did their job. None of this exists now, and I think this has had an effect on our crowds. The night out isn't really a night out anymore, you get harrassed on the way in by security checking that you aren't bringing in a big mac or any other commercial food so you aren't ripping off their precious Spotless catering.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have always wondered why at some sporting events that they prohibit you from bringing certain food ('commercial food') and drinks into the ground.

undertaker

Coach
nice post.

I feel sorry for you guys this year, you could rival us last year as one of the most pathetic teams to be seen from this state. God knows what has happened to Scott Prince. I can't say I feel all that sorry for him after he bailed on us all those years ago, but the fans down there deserve better than the shit being dished up by the 2011 Titans. I guess the 2 little brother teams in QLD will always be up against it compared to the leg ups the Broncs get...... I must say I am jealous as f**k of your stadium though but I have seen some early plans for a proposal up here for our CBD and a cough stadium proposal cough............. let's just say you might not be the only one with the kick ass Ikea Flat pack home ground :cool:

I don't feel sorry for him at all. He's always struck me as someone who's been a bit of a recalcitrant/smartarse, especially when I've seen him on the Footy Show. I'm sure his wife was mightily impressed with his behaviour on the Footy Show two years ago when it was filmed on the Gold Coast and Rachel Finch was special guest on the panel that night.

undertaker

Coach
The same catering company now does AAMI park in Victoria, Suncorp (although they do not have full access i believe) and Dairy Farmers.

What are others experiences with them, at other stadiums?

I don't know about the SFS, but I was there a few weeks ago for the Roosters/Knights game. I didn't buy any food or drinks for reasons already mentioned. Infact, I haven't bought food or drinks at sports events for years. Although I don't drink, I did look at the prices for beer and have to say that if I was a drinker, $6.80/beer is hell expensive. When I saw ppl before half-time with trays of 6 beers, I was thinking that that's a lot of money right there. Also, $8 for a mini-sized pizza (by Dominos) is a complete utter rip-off as well, especially when I can buy a large size (i.e. 2-3x a mini-size) pizza from Eagle Boys down the road for $7.95 (and for $5.95 on Tuesdays), and they taste better.

Knightmare

Coach
I don't feel sorry for him at all. He's always struck me as someone who's been a bit of a recalcitrant/smartarse, especially when I've seen him on the Footy Show. I'm sure his wife was mightily impressed with his behaviour on the Footy Show two years ago when it was filmed on the Gold Coast and Rachel Finch was special guest on the panel that night.

:lol: He couldn't control himself, could he?

AuDragon

Juniors
Let's not forget the tits are clear favourites for the spoon this year, and still attracting 12K with their prices is a very good achievement.
People are obviously a bit down here atm, but make no mistake, GC is RL heart land and will remain so!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I must say I am jealous as f**k of your stadium though but I have seen some early plans for a proposal up here for our CBD and a cough stadium proposal cough............. let's just say you might not be the only one with the kick ass Ikea Flat pack home ground :cool:

Really? Got any links I can check out beave or is it just rumours atm?

Would be great if true.

Teddyboy

First Grade
it happened up here as well. I think I have written about this before in here.

Cowboys leagues had the catering contract for the whole of DFS. The ran a couple of stalls but tendered out a good 60-70% of the stalls to rotary.lions club and all the local teams. These clubs really relied on the revenue raised and whilst it wasn't gourmet food it was quite decent enough. Parents and volunteers ran the stalls and did a rotating roster so they weren't missing all the games during the year.

Then the contract was up and it came down to Cowboys Leagues and Spotless.................. guess who Stadiums QLD picked???? Prices went up, food quality went down. I used to buy a bit of food at each game but since spotless have taken over, I go to the Brothers Leagues club next door and get a feed there before a game. I would rather my money going to them and not the rip off merchants next door. Stadiums QLD are un-f**king-touchable, no one can go near them or tell them what to do, they are now a rogue entity absolutely f**king over all the tenants in their stadiums. You read their mandate and it's a joke that they don't actually do what they say they are meant to do. My tax dollars go into these joints then they rip off the clubs who use the joints, that's not supposed to be how it works. Earn enough in revenue for the upkeep of the stadium and pay for the fulltime staff not as a ca$h cow.

Sorry but i get a bit fired up over these merkins.

Stadiums QLD sound like the big Pub corps who are killing the local public houses in England.

meltiger

First Grade
How else do you explain crowds of the lions and the swans

Average 30k a game with tv audiences of 90k

Travelling fans.

Went away two weeks ago with a couple of Richmond mates who are also Storm fans, Gabba on Saturday night/Leichhardt on Sunday.

Saturday night, 21k turned up to the Gabba. At least 8,000, at least were supporting Richmond. That means 13 or so max turned up to watch the Lions.

That's comparable to what the Storm attract.

bobmar28

Bench
Stadium Queensland are the problem, its a joke of a set up, the catering company is just eye gouging everyone. I wrote a piece on this for the F7's a few weeks back, I also run a podcast for the Legion, and we interviewed parents that could not bring there children to the games, because of the outrageous prices of food and drinks, its truly mind boggling, how they can get away with it.

We bring our own food, why don't they? Imo it's ticket prices that is the problem.

BDGS

Bench
Let's not forget the tits are clear favourites for the spoon this year, and still attracting 12K with their prices is a very good achievement.
People are obviously a bit down here atm, but make no mistake, GC is RL heart land and will remain so!

indeed it is, every man and his dog can see that.

Brutus

Referee
Travelling fans.

Went away two weeks ago with a couple of Richmond mates who are also Storm fans, Gabba on Saturday night/Leichhardt on Sunday.

Saturday night, 21k turned up to the Gabba. At least 8,000, at least were supporting Richmond. That means 13 or so max turned up to watch the Lions.

That's comparable to what the Storm attract.

Good point.

The only reason the Swans get a decent crowd against Collingwood is because of the Collingwood fans.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
8000 is a big number, are there seriously 16, 737's choc a bock full of AFL supporters leave Melbourne every sat for SEQ.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Was impressed with the catering at NIB last Friday. Probably not enough stalls when its a sell out but on our side they had a curry van, jacket potatoes, pizza, chicken treat and a fish and chip van. Beer was usual over priced half strength crap. I don't drink at games, a couple before usually sustains me through the game!

meltiger

First Grade
8000 is a big number, are there seriously 16, 737's choc a bock full of AFL supporters leave Melbourne every sat for SEQ.

Almost entirely one side of the stadium was Richmond people. Happened two years in a row now.

Trust me, the away support, at least when Richmond play there, is distinct compared to the away fans at AAMI Park. Apart from the Warriors, Canterbury had a fantastic turn up given it was MNF, outside of that, the away support has been tiny at most games. Admittedly, I didn't go to the Parra game as I was away.

Maybe not travelling fans, ex pats maybe? There are apparently f**kloads of Victorians up there remember ;) But most certainly, the support for the Lions was similar to what the Storm get. It may not be exactly 8 lol, we thought it was easily a 60-40 split though. You don't get people walking around the stadium stating and I quote "No, it's horrible, there are too many f**king Richmond fans here"

The support for the Lions two weeks ago was woeful. As simple as that.

Which is a good thing remember :)

Last edited:

Latest posts