What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle for the Gold Coast- DT article today

Coaster

Bench
The game needs the GC, but their financial situation is a bit of a worry (getting their grant early over the last 2 years or so). Did they really need that flash ass building (CoE)???? Shouldn't they have looked at getting a proper leagues club up and running and focus on being a profitable club??? I'm just saying this because the cowboys were exactly the same, we took 6 years before we got our own leaugesy going.

It is like what comes first the chicken or the egg IMO. We could have spent a bucket load on a leagues club, and tried to compete with the thousands of clubs RSLs, Nightclubs and Pubs on the GC, and it could have sent us broke before we started. Searle decided that the best course would be to get the operations of the team going first, he builds a world class center that is rivaled by none in this country, uses that to enlist top players to the club while we are developing our junior base.

Lets not forget how long it takes to build a junior system, Most schools here on the coast were already associated to a Sydney club. Coombabah with Parra, Keebra with Wests, ect, and a whole bunch with the Broncos, talent picking from the GC since 88. The Broncos with all the wealth at there disposal didnt exactly fill there team with local juniors when they started, they pulled nearly a whole SOO team in, and then over the years filled the gaps with there younger players.

They have there system fined tuned now, we dont just yet, but we are working on it, and for every old player we have, i remind you of the Srama, the Rankin, Bodene, Gorden, Mead, James, Ridge, Tonga, ect.

In 8 years we will have the northern side of Skilled developed into a carpark, and drop off area, with a walkway crossing, the eastern side will be built out with shops and cafes, the southern area, a tavern and get together.

These things take time, unlike the AFL we do not get any assistance from money brokers. Leagues club is not high on the priority stakes, for some reason, but will be looked at in time. Our finances are no worse then any other teams (not counting share market teams). We are bringing all the ticketing in house from next year, we are improving the catering at the stadium, by members BBq's and a new members eating area TBC. There is a new members bar with better priced drinks and give aways at the stadium. There improving the quality of members merchandise next year. We are trying hard to eliminate the un-needed blocked off roads around the stadium (as mentioned above).

In fact apart from the disgraceful team performances this year, which is severely hampering crowds, we are going well.

Take that as you may

BDGS

Bench
The Titans are still averaging an healthy crowd compared to other NRL clubs with 16,154.

While its not the best, its far from the worst. I would expect the Titans to get a crowd like this during down periods of form and get an crowd average pushing into the top 4 clubs when things are going well. Could even push top 2 if things get going really well.

BDGS

Bench
It is like what comes first the chicken or the egg IMO. We could have spent a bucket load on a leagues club, and tried to compete with the thousands of clubs RSLs, Nightclubs and Pubs on the GC, and it could have sent us broke before we started. Searle decided that the best course would be to get the operations of the team going first, he builds a world class center that is rivaled by none in this country, uses that to enlist top players to the club while we are developing our junior base.

Could the GC Titans maybe attract one of those existing RSL's, Nightclubs and Pubs in becoming a large sponsor and in turn attacking like a leagues club?

Similar to the Storm/Crown arrangement?

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Lets not forget how long it takes to build a junior system, Most schools here on the coast were already associated to a Sydney club. Coombabah with Parra, Keebra with Wests, ect, and a whole bunch with the Broncos, talent picking from the GC since 88. The Broncos with all the wealth at there disposal didnt exactly fill there team with local juniors when they started, they pulled nearly a whole SOO team in, and then over the years filled the gaps with there younger players.

They have there system fined tuned now, we dont just yet, but we are working on it, and for every old player we have, i remind you of the Srama, the Rankin, Bodene, Gorden, Mead, James, Ridge, Tonga, ect.

In 8 years we will have the northern side of Skilled developed into a carpark, and drop off area, with a walkway crossing, the eastern side will be built out with shops and cafes, the southern area, a tavern and get together.

These things take time, unlike the AFL we do not get any assistance from money brokers. Leagues club is not high on the priority stakes, for some reason, but will be looked at in time. Our finances are no worse then any other teams (not counting share market teams). We are bringing all the ticketing in house from next year, we are improving the catering at the stadium, by members BBq's and a new members eating area TBC. There is a new members bar with better priced drinks and give aways at the stadium. There improving the quality of members merchandise next year. We are trying hard to eliminate the un-needed blocked off roads around the stadium (as mentioned above).

In fact apart from the disgraceful team performances this year, which is severely hampering crowds, we are going well.

Take that as you may

Can you explain the ticketing situation now and how it will be different next year?

Coaster

Bench
Can you explain the ticketing situation now and how it will be different next year?

Currently all ticketing is going through Ticketec, there is a fee associated with using them, and also limits our ability to
1. provide discounted limited seating
2. correctly seat away and fan sections
3. provide members with there seats of choice

We are bringing it all in house as of next year, and should have allot more control over it

beave

Coach
Could the GC Titans maybe attract one of those existing RSL's, Nightclubs and Pubs in becoming a large sponsor and in turn attacking like a leagues club?

I think they had something to do with that Titanium bar or something, I am sure Coaster can calrify.

some11

Referee

Will be great to see.

We are bringing all the ticketing in house from next year, we are improving the catering at the stadium, by members BBq's and a new members eating area TBC. There is a new members bar with better priced drinks and give aways at the stadium. There improving the quality of members merchandise next year. We are trying hard to eliminate the un-needed blocked off roads around the stadium (as mentioned above).

Are Stadiums Queensland to blame for outrageous food prices and such?

Coaster

Bench

I dont know about that at all im afraid, im sure the powers that be have this in mind, Jupiter's has sponsored a lot of our functions ect

beave

Coach

Take that as you may

nice post.

I feel sorry for you guys this year, you could rival us last year as one of the most pathetic teams to be seen from this state. God knows what has happened to Scott Prince. I can't say I feel all that sorry for him after he bailed on us all those years ago, but the fans down there deserve better than the shit being dished up by the 2011 Titans. I guess the 2 little brother teams in QLD will always be up against it compared to the leg ups the Broncs get...... I must say I am jealous as f**k of your stadium though but I have seen some early plans for a proposal up here for our CBD and a cough stadium proposal cough............. let's just say you might not be the only one with the kick ass Ikea Flat pack home ground :cool:

Coaster

Bench
Are Stadiums Queensland to blame for outrageous food prices and such?

Stadium Queensland are the problem, its a joke of a set up, the catering company is just eye gouging everyone. I wrote a piece on this for the F7's a few weeks back, I also run a podcast for the Legion, and we interviewed parents that could not bring there children to the games, because of the outrageous prices of food and drinks, its truly mind boggling, how they can get away with it.

Eelectrica

Referee
Stadium Queensland are the problem, its a joke of a set up, the catering company is just eye gouging everyone. I wrote a piece on this for the F7's a few weeks back, I also run a podcast for the Legion, and we interviewed parents that could not bring there children to the games, because of the outrageous prices of food and drinks, its truly mind boggling, how they can get away with it.

At least the Titans are doing something about it with members BBQ they've done for the last couple of games and I'd guess will continue to do throughout the season.

Doesn't help the average punter though who doesn't have access to that though.

What the caterers don't understand is that they're digging their own grave. Price things reasonably and people will come back. Rip people off and they'll think twice.

Coaster

Bench
At least the Titans are doing something about it with members BBQ they've done for the last couple of games and I'd guess will continue to do throughout the season.

Doesn't help the average punter though who doesn't have access to that though.

What the caterers don't understand is that they're digging their own grave. Price things reasonably and people will come back. Rip people off and they'll think twice.

The same catering company now does AAMI park in Victoria, Suncorp (although they do not have full access i believe) and Dairy Farmers.

What are others experiences with them, at other stadiums?

Perth Red

Post Whore
When I went to Perpigan to see the Catalans Dragons play they had a huge BBQ/Spit Roast set up in the field next to the ground for fans. Was dead cheap, fans got together before kick off, had cheap decent beer and a cheap feed. Probably the best game catering I've had!

beave

Coach
it happened up here as well. I think I have written about this before in here.

Cowboys leagues had the catering contract for the whole of DFS. The ran a couple of stalls but tendered out a good 60-70% of the stalls to rotary.lions club and all the local teams. These clubs really relied on the revenue raised and whilst it wasn't gourmet food it was quite decent enough. Parents and volunteers ran the stalls and did a rotating roster so they weren't missing all the games during the year.

Then the contract was up and it came down to Cowboys Leagues and Spotless.................. guess who Stadiums QLD picked???? Prices went up, food quality went down. I used to buy a bit of food at each game but since spotless have taken over, I go to the Brothers Leagues club next door and get a feed there before a game. I would rather my money going to them and not the rip off merchants next door. Stadiums QLD are un-f**king-touchable, no one can go near them or tell them what to do, they are now a rogue entity absolutely f**king over all the tenants in their stadiums. You read their mandate and it's a joke that they don't actually do what they say they are meant to do. My tax dollars go into these joints then they rip off the clubs who use the joints, that's not supposed to be how it works. Earn enough in revenue for the upkeep of the stadium and pay for the fulltime staff not as a ca$h cow.

Sorry but i get a bit fired up over these merkins.

Green Machine

First Grade
There is no difference with ANZ Stadium. There food and beverage prices are astronomical. Roy Masters warned a few months ago that News Ltd were going to promote the Suns after signing a new deal with Foxtel. That crap that Phil Rothfield wrote was also in Monday’s Courier Mail with 2 papers of other rubbish. The Titians aren’t favourites of News Ltd. I’d take much notice about it. The Titians cost the NRL nothing to run. The Suns will cost the AFL a bomb. I hope they bleed to death,

Coaster

Bench
I understand Beave, i feel the same hatred towards them.

$26.40 for 4 small cups of mid strength beer and the besterds charged me another .60 cents for a tray. I nearly punched him in the face.

By law they are required to give you free water, due to the licensing act, nope they charge $4.80

beave

Coach
I would like to see the Cowboys up here start encouraging tailgating like they do in the states................... will never happen because we live in a nana state but even if they set up a massive big spit roast in a cordoned off area in the carpark with booze and so forth, I reckon it would go down a treat.

We used to have awesome entertainment up here during games, they had a band the 'mad dogs' up in the northern stand that used to play when we scored, great half time entertainment and security that actually did their job. None of this exists now, and I think this has had an effect on our crowds. The night out isn't really a night out anymore, you get harrassed on the way in by security checking that you aren't bringing in a big mac or any other commercial food so you aren't ripping off their precious Spotless catering.

Coaster

Bench
The members BBQ up here has been a great initiative, and i am proud to have played a small part in making it a reality. We sent out email to members regarding this and got nearly 600 responses in the first 24 hours.

Last week was also a great turnout, the food is fantastic quality, and for $5 you get a hamburger and a can of drink.

Not to mention the chance to sit with Foundation members ect and have a chat about the team (not such a nice thing to do atm) before the game.

We are running it for the remainder of the season, and i think the powers like the progress of it. Its had a really positive response by everyone that has used it.

Knightmare

Coach
Would it be safe to say that the majority of Suns fans are long term AFL fans who have grown up with a culture of attending games and buying memberships etc

How else do you explain crowds of the lions and the swans

Average 30k a game with tv audiences of 90k

I have a mate who supports Collingwood and (obviously) is a member, but also bought Suns membership.