What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of Brisbane - Won

Digga Hole

Juniors
Brycey said:
Government has taken a firm stand against not footing the bill for the stadium, Ron Clarke will try all he can to pay for the stadium, though it would be political suicide if he did. I thought AFL had a list of wealthy backers to pay for it.

If not then good luck. Even for AFL, its such a bad stadium to go to and the public transport there is sh*thouse.

Wealthy private backers won't help, unless they don't want any return.

Melbourne clubs struggle to turn a profit at TD. It was built with private money and the rates they charge to make a return (they are not making a fortune) makes it near impossible for teams to profit there (break even point is 25,000+ for some teams). This is with TD having 4-5 AFL teams (45 games per year), Melbourne Victory, Concerts, International League, Union, Soccer, one-off Storm games, off season cricket Internationals and every other event that comes with being the number two stadium in a city of 4 million (hell RMIT graduation ceremonies are held there).

There is no way private investors can make money with one AFL team playing 8 home games (3 big ones promised to the Gabba) plus the events left over for the fourth stadium in the State. This can only be done with "free" Government money, and that isn't looking likely.

butchmcdick said:
I have never been to an AFL forum but do you think that they give this much of a sh*t about the NRL in victoria or WA taking over their market ?

No for Victoria.

As for WA, I don't think the AFL would like to see an NRL team in WA.

butchmcdick said:
Do they seem bothered about NRL at all ?

Yes.

I'll repeat that.

Yes.

There are just as many posts involving talking about the NRL at bigfooty as there are posts here talking about the AFL.

butchmcdick said:
I can't see them being too worried about the NRL stealing tassie seeing as their is no local league there. Is there a local league in SA ?

They don't even care about Tassie.

butchmcdick said:
You say the AFL constantly critisises league, where does that happen. It seems to me dally that you are the one who is obsessed by the evil AFL.

You don't go to AFL forums, you don't see AFL scribes who've bagged Rugby League yet you're an expert?

Paul Sheehan did it just the other day.

butchmcdick said:
Also have you thought that maybye we are all a bit past this you are either an AFL or league supporter stuff. It is possible to follow teams in more than one code.

How many people here do you know that follow the NRL and AFL?

It's the same percentage the other way at bigfooty.

AFL is a threat to the NRL. The NRL is a threat to the AFL too, whether you like it or not. The figures Dally is pointing to prove that AFL is not expanding in Sydney and Brisbane, it's in fact contracting, viewer-wise.

I don't know about you, and I don't speak for everyone but that is good news.

butchmcdick said:
The only way your claims about who is the national sport based on tv figures would be for the two sports to go head to head nationally every week. That is not happening so until it does your argument is flawed and only based on figures for sydney and brisbane.

You don't understand his point and it's not based on a total lack of knowledge on the subject.

Unlike your post...

juneauquan

Juniors
butchmcdick said:
I have never been to an AFL forum but do you think that they give this much of a sh*t about the NRL in victoria or WA taking over their market ?

I can't see them being too worried about the NRL stealing tassie seeing as their is no local league there. Is there a local league in SA ?

You say the AFL constantly critisises league, where does that happen. It seems to me dally that you are the one who is obsessed by the evil AFL.

Also have you thought that maybye we are all a bit past this you are either an AFL or league supporter stuff. It is possible to follow teams in more than one code.

The only way your claims about who is the national sport based on tv figures would be for the two sports to go head to head nationally every week. That is not happening so until it does your argument is flawed and only based on figures for sydney and brisbane.

I lived in Melbourne for 8 months and the absolute Bullsh*t (both diatribe and ignorance) I had to hear and read about Rugby League from the media and the public was mind-boggling. I have never been in a city, and I have lived throughout the world, where a sport is trodden on so much by such a ignorant people.

And just before I left I figured out why Melbourne has such a 'hatred' of Rugby League. Melbourne is OBSESSED with Sydney. Obsessed to the point where Melbournians hate Sydney, and everything to do with Sydney, with a passion. I met people who have never been to Sydney but hate Sydney. And guess what, Rugby League and Sydney go hand in hand, so a natural progression is to hate Rugby League.

Melbournians tend to be highly ignorant. I met a guy who didn't even know Rugby League existed until he was 12. I met other people who had never heard of the Bledisloe Cup or knew of the Melbourne Storm. I invited many of these people to a televised State of Origin game and when shown their very first rugby league game, many of these ignorant Melbournians found a new sport to enjoy. Yes, these people who had never heard of or seen a game of rugby league because of the blatant discrimination against the game, enjoyed the sport.

There is hope!

butchmcdick said:

yep, their fans and administrators are all looking at RL intently.

RL announces its centenary celebrations this year, after a few months AFL come out with a mickey mouse 150 celebration of a game of rugby union.

RL puts a club on the gold coast in a new $300 million ground, AFL then wants the same.

im buzzing that RL has blitzed AFL the way it has, and very p**sed off we dont get the money we deserve as a sport.

with all the money AFL has, they should be dominating RL, not being beaten in national ratings lots of the time. once we as a sport get a TV deal the game deserves, AFL will be dust

and the 2 sports do go head to head nationally every week. Foxsports shows both at the same time and in the same markets. RL is the easy winner every week.

as a person that loves to see RL doing well, why wouldnt we celebrate when we so easily defeat a sport which desperately wants to take our market share.

if AFL did take over in our areas, would they celebrate that, of course they would.

if AFL fans get upset that their sport cant compete with RL when it is so desperately trying to, get stuffed.

your sport chose to go head to head, your sport talks about more expansion in queensland.

when the BS talk was over and the fact were in, AFL got its ar&e handed to it on a silver platter. time to stop talking about being any more of a national sport than the NRL. until your sport can show decent viewing figures in nsw and queensland, your expansion push has essentially failed.

AFL fans attitude to the sports poor ratings is just like their attitude to when articles showed them their sport originated from england, just like RL.

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
No for Victoria.

There are just as many posts involving talking about the NRL at bigfooty as there are posts here talking about the AFL.

Could you please show me all these bigfooty sites talking about NRL because i haven't been able to find to many

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Bring back balmain said:
It wasn't AFL"s (the greatest game ever) biggest game of the season you idiot

So what kind of current AFL fixture in Brisbane would be bigger than the Lions vs Collingwood?

Brisbane vs another AFL side? Nope, Collingwood have the biggest support, and thousands of them flew in for the match.

AFL SOO? Nope, don't have it.

AFL International? Nope, don't have it.

AFL, any other game that is not the AFL premiership? Nope, that is all there is.

So that is the biggest game that Brisbane could play in outside a finals match.

They where trounced in terms of the crowd, and they where decimated in terms of the viewership.

Face it, after all of these years of pouring in millions, the AFL is still a minor game compared to League in QLD. Lets not even talk about Sydney, it is even worse, considering that South Melbourne have made the finals so regularly.

Ziggy the God said:
So what kind of current AFL fixture in Brisbane would be bigger than the Lions vs Collingwood?

Brisbane vs another AFL side? Nope, Collingwood have the biggest support, and thousands of them flew in for the match.

AFL SOO? Nope, don't have it.

AFL International? Nope, don't have it.
:lol: :lol:

lets not mention state of origin in a thread talking about AFL ratings. AwFuL fans get really upset when you include origin into the picture.

Origin in brisbane sold out in 90 mins in queensland this year, if AFL had a second queensland side and gave them $100 million to buy fans it wouldnt matter because RL will always be king in queensland, especially because of origin.

can someone that posts on there please bring up some of the points on here.

i can imagine that would send the poor dears into a frenzy reminding them how bad their TV ratings are for a majority of this country

juneauquan

Juniors
ParraEelsNRL said:
Could you please show me all these bigfooty sites talking about NRL because i haven't been able to find to many

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3226949

I doubt we will ever see 'Bring back Balmain' ever again since he has proven himself to be the typical AFL ignoramous.

22 pages on the AFL forum in discussion about the 'Battle of the Codes'. Yeah, they don't talk about NRL in their forums. (Note for Bring Back Balmain: That was sarcasm)

22 pages on a battle they lost.

weve only got 11 pages and we won the damn thing!

just thiking of all those AwFuL fans frothing at the mouth at how pitiful their push into nsw and queensland is has really made my day

They weren't the forums i was looking for find a forum where they say that they are bothered or scared by the NRL where as here you have heaps saying how threatened you are by AFL.

Billythekid

First Grade
Bring back balmain said:
It wasn't AFL"s (the greatest game ever) biggest game of the season you idiot

AFL fans coming to NRL forum or vica versa just to bag the opposite code is pathetic and i feel bad for any people that do this. Do they really have nothing better to do, get a hobby FFS.

Not that I'm implying this about anyone in particular ;-)

Bring back balmain said:
They weren't the forums i was looking for find a forum where they say that they are bothered or scared by the NRL where as here you have heaps saying how threatened you are by AFL.

dont they speak english in AFL land?

what language was that?

Bring back balmain said:
Just find a forum where u see AFL fans being threatened by NRL taking over

whose threatened?

this whole thread has just been one big laugh at a sport whose has been shown up as being full of s**t.

over at bigpoofy they have spent 22 pages talking about, so clearly they are concerned.

110,000 people watching out of a total of 11 million.

:lol:

if you are going to come onto a RL site as an AFL fan, please make a better defence of your AwFuL sport. and posting intelligibly in english is a requirement as well.