What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears launch bid to return

t-ba

Post Whore
A financial crisis may be the best thing for the Bears bid imo.

The NRL might start looking closer to home for options. And Frankly, the Bears are almost as irresistable an option financially as the Titans are. The Club would have a catchment of 800,000 people. The Lower North Shore, along with the prestige suburbs of the Eastern Subrubs, is the wealthies concentration of people anywhere in Australia. The Central Coast is an impressive junior nursery and it was only a decade ago the Upper North Shore was developing into a good footballer production line. There's no reason why this wouldn't be a success. And if puts pressure on other Sydney clubs, so what? If anything, that indicates the Bears should have been in alot longer ago.

Loudstrat

Coach

The NRL might start looking closer to home for options. And Frankly, the Bears are almost as irresistable an option financially as the Titans are. The Club would have a catchment of 800,000 people. The Lower North Shore, along with the prestige suburbs of the Eastern Subrubs, is the wealthies concentration of people anywhere in Australia. The Central Coast is an impressive junior nursery and it was only a decade ago the Upper North Shore was developing into a good footballer production line. There's no reason why this wouldn't be a success. And if puts pressure on other Sydney clubs, so what? If anything, that indicates the Bears should have been in alot longer ago.

Here's a far better contribution.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Yep bring back the Bears playing out of North Sydney and At the same time bring back the Newtown Jets Then bring in the Central Coast Batlers along with the Coffs Harbour Clowns

This is a comment from a bloke whose club didn't have the balls to stand alone and put up a fight - like Souths did. Nice work, idiot.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

Trouble is - this made sense 10 years ago. The Bears have political barriers within News/NRL and the f**kwits who manage the other clubs currently going backwards. The best result is for these cowards to come out into the open and express their issues with a CC Bears. That way, you can ID them, deal with them and go forward.

KempoKnight

Juniors
All NSW clubs?
Then dismantle the stadium and hand it back to the Baars. I never heard one whinge from you lot when Norths built it.

Im not saying that the bears dont deserve it, hell Im all for them coming back into the comp but they need to be recognised as a Central Coast team and not just the reformation of a former club. If they are 100% seriouse about coming back they need to get out and about and show the coast that they do want to be here which I am yet to see unfortunetly.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Im not saying that the bears dont deserve it, hell Im all for them coming back into the comp but they need to be recognised as a Central Coast team and not just the reformation of a former club. If they are 100% seriouse about coming back they need to get out and about and show the coast that they do want to be here which I am yet to see unfortunetly.

They certainly did do this back in 98 and 99 when the move was originally happening. The people of the CC were definitly backing the Bears. I remember being in the CC area at the time and there was Red and black and Bears mechandise throughout the major shopping centres, even the odd display out on the streets too.... which was all deflated when the Northern Eagles farce happened. I'm 100% positive they'd (the CC locals) get behind the Bears again.

For the people of the CC, ending up with the Northern Eagles and losing out on the Bears opportunity was like being promised a nice shiny Ferrari but when presented to you and the wrapping comes off its really a Hyundai Excel (no disrespect to excel drivers on here:p)

Not to mention getting the Bears and Manly to merge is like merging israel and any arabic country or merging FC Barcelona and Real Madrid in the spanish soccer league.... whoever thought that idea up was a deadset moron.

I have a feeling alot of league fans are too young, have forgotten, or truely don't know the inner crucial details about what happened to the Bears tragedy/rip off.

Last edited:

KempoKnight

Juniors
They certainly did do this back in 98 and 99 when the move was originally happening. The people of the CC were definitly backing the Bears. I remember being in the CC area at the time and there was Red and black and Bears mechandise throughout the major shopping centres, even the odd display out on the streets too.... which was all deflated when the Northern Eagles farce happened. I'm 100% positive they'd (the CC locals) get behind the Bears again.

For the people of the CC, ending up with the Northern Eagles and losing out on the Bears opportunity was like being promised a nice shiny Ferrari but when presented to you and the wrapping comes off its really a Hyundai Excel (no disrespect to excel drivers on here:p)

Not to mention getting the Bears and Manly to merge is like merging israel and any arabic country or merging FC Barcelona and Real Madrid in the spanish soccer league.... whoever thought that idea up was a deadset moron.

I have a feeling alot of league fans are too young, have forgotten, or truely don't know the inner crucial details about what happened to the Bears tragedy/rip off.

Yes they did it in 98/99 but I'm talking about now, I haven't seen them promote the bears on the coast which is the only problem I have with it.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes they did it in 98/99 but I'm talking about now, I haven't seen them promote the bears on the coast which is the only problem I have with it.

Numbnuts, next time you drive through Gosford, have a look at the big stadium on Brisbane Water, and ask youself "Gee, who built and paid for that?"

As far as I can tell, Cronulla is the only other club to build a stadium. Norths built it as a gift to the Central Coast, with the full support of council, local Leagues and the community to play there when it is finished.

LESStar58

Referee
Given the right conditions, I believe Wollongong could.

The only thing they didn't have before the merger was money and a decent ground.

The ground is there now and so is that Gordon bloke.

Maybe that's why he paid what was owing to The Dragons.

Equally, the Central Coast Bears have the home ground and assumably, Singo's cash.

Singo's cash is getting thrown at the Mariners I believe.

Also, will there be enough corporate support for a team in Gosford. It's only a small market. Not that I don't want the Bears back... just trying to weigh up the pros and cons.

KempoKnight

Juniors
Numbnuts, next time you drive through Gosford, have a look at the big stadium on Brisbane Water, and ask youself "Gee, who built and paid for that?"

As far as I can tell, Cronulla is the only other club to build a stadium. Norths built it as a gift to the Central Coast, with the full support of council, local Leagues and the community to play there when it is finished.

Do you even read what I right or are you to busy trying to act like a keyboard hero? I live in Gosford, I know who built the stadium I'm just saying all Id like to see is the Bears being promoted well so they get the coast behind them. Do you need me to dumb it down more for you or are we good?

Loudstrat

Coach
I'm still struggling to understand how you don't know that the Bears want to play out of Gosford?

Maybe the fact that they have appointed a CC junior from a prominent CC League family as coach-in-waiting? How about the fact that a Bears legend is co-ordinating not only the public image of the campaign, but the real efforts behind the scenes? Do these things not tell you something?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Read what he's saying Misty - he wants to see the idea of the Bears being the CC's NRL team again get promoted. Much like the Dolphins-cum-Titans were partied around on the GC back in the day, much like the Bears themselves were paraded around the CC back in 98/99. If someone can assume the start-up costs the rest will work itself out - we all know that and he's not against the club.

It's got to be done right - we can't let the NRL screw this region out of an NRL team again.

Knightmare

Coach
The vibe I am getting is a positive one so far concerning the NRL. Hopefully it comes to fruition and common sense sees them taking the field along with the W.A Reds in 2011.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No, we are the one's talking about it and hoping. It's obvious we need it to ensure we get more money.

Unfortunately Gallop isn't talking about it, he has no plans, he is keeping us at bay. Refer to the AFL how to plan for expansion or even how the old ARL did it before 1995.

KempoKnight

Juniors
Read what he's saying Misty - he wants to see the idea of the Bears being the CC's NRL team again get promoted. Much like the Dolphins-cum-Titans were partied around on the GC back in the day, much like the Bears themselves were paraded around the CC back in 98/99. If someone can assume the start-up costs the rest will work itself out - we all know that and he's not against the club.

It's got to be done right - we can't let the NRL screw this region out of an NRL team again.

Someone finally understands!

T to the T

Juniors
With the new TV deal not kicking in till 2013 are we likely to see any expansion before then?

It's like the 'chicken and egg', if we do expand before we will have a bigger TV deal but what money to we have at the moment to expand with... If we don't expand before, we will be given another sh!te TV deal with claims that we aren't national enough to deserve one so back to square one with lack of money.

Loudstrat

Coach

And as I am pointing out, it IS getting promoted. I can't see what else they can do at this stage, especially seeing that they are promoting it the right way - by getting the NRL interested, and talking it up and laying out real plans for the club which gets the fans interested.

In oppositoin - are there any plans for a non-Bears consortium to make Gosford home for a new NRL team?

caylo

Bench
Why do people think Gosford can sustain a full time NRL team when Wollongong can't.

Central Coast residence love their football, and generally hate Knewcastle. The only team they have the option to support at the moment is the Knights. I think a CC team may actually effect the Knights support group, but as a whole would bring more support to League.