What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears launch bid to return

skeepe

Immortal
Who said the CC wouldn't support the Bears? The only opinions I've heard are those of the media or people with agendas. We need to stop believing all the rubbish we read about our game in newspapers as most of it is crap.

No you misunderstood me. I said they wouldn't support any team except for the Bears.

That is the problem. They want a rugby league team, but they already had a chance and rejected it. That makes it an area that doesn't deserve a team in my opinion.

girvie

Staff member
The day the Bears debut at Graham Park in an NRL game will be the best day in the code's history since the kickoff between Balmain and Wests at Birchgrove.

BRING BACK THE BEARS!!!!!!

Totally agree!

Fein

First Grade
Why do people think Gosford can sustain a full time NRL team when Wollongong can't.

Given the right conditions, I believe Wollongong could.

The only thing they didn't have before the merger was money and a decent ground.

The ground is there now and so is that Gordon bloke.

Maybe that's why he paid what was owing to The Dragons.

Equally, the Central Coast Bears have the home ground and assumably, Singo's cash.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Given the right conditions, I believe Wollongong could.

The only thing they didn't have before the merger was money and a decent ground.

The ground is there now and so is that Gordon bloke.

Maybe that's why he paid what was owing to The Dragons.

Equally, the Central Coast Bears have the home ground and assumably, Singo's cash.

Maybe the Sharks should move to Wollongong

APRIL BELLE

Juniors

Because they are dying a slow death. If they moved down there they might increase the support base, get bigger crowds.

St George have treated Illawarra as second class citizens.

Illawarra might be better splitting from the Dragons and merging with the Sharks. Illawarra Sharks.

Fein

First Grade
Because they are dying a slow death. If they moved down there they might increase the support base, get bigger crowds.

St George have treated Illawarra as second class citizens.

Illawarra might be better splitting from the Dragons and merging with the Sharks. Illawarra Sharks.

Interesting.

I agree with your comments regarding how Illawarra have been treated so I suppose that's an option.

That would surely be the end of The Dragons though.

EagleDragon

Juniors
hey dont forgot, papua new guinea want a team in the nrl too.
so new team ideas would be:
central coast team (bears)
png team
wellington team
western australia team

^_^

Juniors
:lol::lol:

Funny you should mention that.

Did you know that the Easts team of 1975 hold the record for the most unanswered tries and goals in a top flight Australian Rugby League Grand Final?

BRING BACK THE BEARS.

Too bad theres no official "record" for that you sad f**k. :lol:

^_^

Juniors
HAHAHAHAHA

Fein you f**king moron, just because you cant handle that your wrong, doesnt mean your dad shouldn't have pulled out when f**king his cousin...say hello to your Aunty/Mother/2nd cousin for me. :lol:

The 1975 rooster team must be sooo upset over this technicality :roll:

f**k off you redneck.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Australias top 10 population centres, we need to put teams that have the population and corporate presence to support a $20mill a year sports company.

SydneyNew South Wales4,336,3742MelbourneVictoria3,806,0923BrisbaneQueensland1,857,5944PerthWestern Australia1,554,7695AdelaideSouth Australia1,158,2596Gold Coast-TweedQueensland/New South Wales583,6577NewcastleNew South Wales523,6628Canberra-QueanbeyanAustralian Capital Territory/New South Wales388,072*CanberraAustralian Capital Territory [3]339,5739WollongongNew South Wales280,15910Sunshine CoastQueensland230,429

Loudstrat

Coach
No you misunderstood me. I said they wouldn't support any team except for the Bears.

That is the problem. They want a rugby league team, but they already had a chance and rejected it. That makes it an area that doesn't deserve a team in my opinion.
Perth had the chance and rejected it too. Ditto Adelaide.

The difference ifs that the CC residents are not rampant dimwits, and remember WHO built the ground, and who deserved to be there.

Could not agree more....

Looking at populations and demographics the Illawarra deserve a rugby league team before anywhere else...

Gee, I think Parramatta deserve a Rugby League team too. Canberra, probably also. Newcastle, Brisbane, Penrith and maybe even Manly, deserve teams. Like Wollongong, they already have one you dumb f**k.

Too bad theres no official "record" for that you sad f**k. :lol:
Eastern Suburbs 38 (Brass 2, Mayes 2, McKay, Beetson, Pickett, Schubert tries, Peard 7 goals.) defeated

St George 0

Australias top 10 population centres, we need to put teams that have the population and corporate presence to support a $20mill a year sports company.

SydneyNew South Wales4,336,3742MelbourneVictoria3,806,0923BrisbaneQueensland1,857,5944PerthWestern Australia1,554,7695AdelaideSouth Australia1,158,2596Gold Coast-TweedQueensland/New South Wales583,6577NewcastleNew South Wales523,6628Canberra-QueanbeyanAustralian Capital Territory/New South Wales388,072*CanberraAustralian Capital Territory [3]339,5739WollongongNew South Wales280,15910Sunshine CoastQueensland230,429

Cowds and juniors don't count huh?

Last edited:

girvie

Staff member
Bears deserve revival
Phil Gould | December 7, 2008

The North Sydney Bears want back in. Why not?

In fact, could someone please explain to me why they were allowed to fold in the first place? I'll get over this one day, I suppose. Maybe.

The new world order deemed years ago it was in the best interests of rugby league to get rid of South Sydney, the Gold Coast and the Bears. My God, there was a time they were also happy to see the mighty Manly Sea Eagles wither away without trying to save them.

Look at them all now. Where would our game be without these brands?

I'll throw other sacrifices like Adelaide and Perth into the mix here as well, who, despite their infancy at the time of the game's restructuring after the Super League debacle, were also victims of this most destructive period in our game's history.

I'll come back to the theme of a truly national competition in a moment.

The North Sydney Bears story is indeed a sad one and it has been (conveniently for some) swept into the background over the years; for far too long, in fact.

Despite their relative anonymity these days, a loyal band of North Sydney greats have managed to keep the colours flying in second-tier competitions. So, too, the mighty Newtown Jets, who never ever say die.

Now the Bears see an opportunity to resurrect their club into the big time and the NRL should be doing everything in its power to make this a reality.

For those of you just joining the program, the North Sydney Bears went broke years ago courtesy of an ill-fated campaign to survive at all costs during the Super League war.

At the time, an unsustainable wage structure was hurting all in the game. Clubs were also being threatened with expulsion if they could not satisfy certain criteria which were formulated specifically to reduce the number of teams to a more pay-TV friendly cost structure in the late 1990s.

The Bears bit the bullet and decided to move their operation to the Central Coast. Weather and finance conspired against them and they went broke before they could realise their dream.

They must shake their heads at the thought that within a short period of their painful demise, other clubs were back playing in the NRL with less than secure financial models and at venues well short of the criteria set down in the initial evaluations.

They were then forced into an unhappy marriage with the Manly club, which also had the backside out of its trousers.

The Northern Eagles captured nobody's imagination and bumbled along the inevitable path to failure.

Out of the wreck, a number of passionate and well-heeled football lovers saved the Sea Eagles and were rewarded for their efforts with a stunning premiership victory this year. The Bears, though, dropped out of the NRL and into virtual oblivion.

Since that time, the loss of the Bears has slowly eaten away at the rugby league supporter base in the North Sydney strip like a cancer.

When you talk to junior league administrators, school principals and parents, you get a feel for just how damaging their omission has been for league in the area.

Many junior clubs folded.

Others changed their allegiance to rugby union or football. Schools no longer offer rugby league as a sporting option. It truly is tragic and like a sick grandparent in the back bedroom, no one likes to talk about it.

Maybe this one-time stronghold of rugby league can never be fully revived.

However, there is surely plenty of upside in bringing the Grizzly Bears back to the magnificent venue at Gosford and further developing the game and its supporter base between the crucial areas from Manly to Newcastle.

Why stop there?

Long-term plans should already be in place for another team playing out of a burgeoning area between Newcastle and the Gold Coast. We should also be looking at another club between Brisbane and Townsville, so rugby league ties up the whole eastern seaboard.

From this position of strength, we can make the rest of the country our aim. The likes of Adelaide and Perth can succeed in time off the back of this eastern dominance.

It might take 20 years but what a legacy an aggressive and forward-thinking administration could leave for the future of the game if it just comes out of its cocoon and spreads it wings. Surely we are looking at these options? Expansion is a must.

At least give us the luxury of a dream to say it's possible.

Two teams in Brisbane and another in New Zealand, please. South Pacific Cups and tournaments involving Islander and Indigenous entities are all great development strategies for our game both domestically and internationally.

Even the pride of our game in this neck of the woods, State of Origin football, needs to be modernised. Queensland and NSW need and would welcome other competition.

What a product this could be. You want ways to raise revenue?

When the State of Origin concept was first introduced to our rugby league calendar, the incidence of players from Polynesian and Islander heritage was minimal in our local competitions.

The registration rates in junior football of kids from these backgrounds have now reached staggering proportions and our game needs to capitalise on this potential bonanza for our code.

There is more opportunity in our NRL competition for kids to pursue a rewarding career in professional rugby league than football or rugby could ever hope to offer in this part of the world.

That's not to say rugby and football can't make big inroads if the NRL sits on its hands and does nothing proactive about its future.

It's easy to bemoan the economic climate and call for a tightening of the belts.

However, this pain won't last forever. The NRL should be positioning itself to take full advantage of the next wave of good times by investing research dollars into new locations and competitions.

Let me tell you, years ago the Manly club was no better off than the North Sydney Bears are right now.

It takes money, know-how and passion. But anything is possible.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bears-deserve-revival/2008/12/06/1228257386365.html

^_^

Juniors
Sorry loudstrat but giving me game stats doesnt really constitute a record no need to give Fein a reason to think he is not dilusional for going on about something so damn trivial & meaningless....but then again people will take any chance they get to bag Manly out :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh Phil lets go back to the NSWRL, go semi pro and stop trying to fool ourselves that RL can be national and compete with AFL and soccer and overseas RU clubs!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Those are ABS statistical districts and it counts the CC as part of Sydney. On its own the CC is actually Australia's 9th largest urban centre with 297,956 residents, which puts it between Canberra and Wollongong.