What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Henry to Canterbury

Wobbygong

First Grade
hendrix is right. Barba will move to fullback when patten moves on to ESL. About Barba and Henry, the same thing was said about Preston Campbell and Thurston when they started in FG. Thurston has turned out to be one of the best number 7 defenders in the game.

Todd Greenberg is way ahead of any other CEO atm

Well he hasn't managed to keep your crappy club competitve thus far in 2010, You just re-signed a dud coach and have a weaker squad than last year, if anything you cheats are going backwards.

mightydragon

Juniors
The Illawarra 'Steelers' Harold Matthews team had a great win yesterday at St Marys, 27-26 in golden point extra time over Souths. They are now in the semis I think against Newcastle. This team has no huge Pacific Islander players, they are the smallest team in the comp, all locals and is brimming with talent. They were down 12-26 with 8 mins to go. This team never gives up because they did something similar the week before against Canterbury. The coach is Adam Sargeant-Wilson. The students at Figtree High speak highly of him as a person.

It's a good effort but let's hope that it isn't undone by them giving Whitehead the SG Ball gig again next year after this years dismal results.

The General

Juniors
I love it when people from the St George side of the merge talk about clubs buying juniors. You club pretty much bought a whole junior base when you sold out and merged with Illawarra.

I reckon Jason Nightingale would be really proud being the only true St George junior in your squad.

j0nesy

Bench
I love it when people from the St George side of the merge talk about clubs buying juniors. You club pretty much bought a whole junior base when you sold out and merged with Illawarra.

I reckon Jason Nightingale would be really proud being the only true St George junior in your squad.

Well it's merged entity now "The General" so we're all one and the same. Much like you guys and Bankstown. The difference is our club looks after the grass roots of rugby league (our regional juniors). Once Cronulla fold then we'll look after their juniors too. I'm sure you guys will poach a few here and there, but we'll get the pick of the litter as we always do.

The General

Juniors
Well it's merged entity now "The General" so we're all one and the same. Much like you guys and Bankstown. The difference is our club looks after the grass roots of rugby league (our regional juniors). Once Cronulla fold then we'll look after their juniors too. I'm sure you guys will poach a few here and there, but we'll get the pick of the litter as we always do.

That's all well and good but to go on about how the Dragons don't buy as many juniors as clubs like Canterbury is a pointless argument considering the massive size of the Illawarra junior base. The Canterbury junior base is closer to the size of the St George junior base and by my count we have 5 local juniors in our top squad compared to the 1 St George junior in yours.

And you say that the Dogs don't look after their grass roots. How then do you explain us being Harold Matts and SG Ball champions last year?

saintzrule

Juniors
Dear Mr General, One good year for your 2 junior teams does not make you a great club, there are more players in your squad that came via STGI than your locals, we are the current CLUB CHAMPIONS, and because we dont rort the cap like the mexicans and your scabby club, we struggle to keep ours , GAZ would have stayed if we paid him what Inglis is getting!I would desist if I were you before you get your pants pulled down:crazy:

Milkman

Juniors
that's all well and good but to go on about how the dragons don't buy as many juniors as clubs like canterbury is a pointless argument considering the massive size of the illawarra junior base. The canterbury junior base is closer to the size of the st george junior base and by my count we have 5 local juniors in our top squad compared to the 1 st george junior in yours.

And you say that the dogs don't look after their grass roots. How then do you explain us being harold matts and sg ball champions last year?

boom

Kiki

First Grade
damnit, i thought we would do anything to keep this kid. what the hell is going on????

drago brelli

Bench
Can't keep them all, mate. We are not the Storm. If you watch the H Matts or the S G Ball, Illawarra have two really promising halves in both comps. The young guy in the H Matts is fantastic. There's a front rower in the mould of Merrin in the same team. But who knows if other clubs haven't already pinpointed them. St. George's S G Ball team from '09 were excellent and some of them are now in the 20s. One of those players is Cameron King. Cronulla had him and let him go. But you can't keep them al.l

Kiki

First Grade
thank god we aren't the Storm!!!!

i guess Uncle Wayne is on top of it huh. i trust him!

drago brelli

Bench
W Bennett is an excellent judge of rugby league talent. Like all clubs the Dragons have some very good operators spotting talent for them. It's then up to Bennett and some other judges to evaluate the talent. It is difficult because someone who is good at 15 may be not so good when they turn 18, for a whole range of reasons.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Wayne is a great judge of character. Besides signing Ashton Sims at the Broncos he has been spot on.

I haven't seen much of this kid so I can't comment.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That's all well and good but to go on about how the Dragons don't buy as many juniors as clubs like Canterbury is a pointless argument considering the massive size of the Illawarra junior base.
And then there's the irony of your favourite player, 'The General'. Luke Patten being an Illawarra junior. lol

I can see you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, but do you know what a joint venture is?

Look at this way...

While Canterbury had to cheat the cap to keep players, St George looked to do it legally by funding junior development in the Illawarra.

FMD, whenever this bulldogs junior issue comes up, it really touches a nerve. Maybe you could do another Oasis deal to keep the ringers within cooee of Campsie.