What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Ryan

Quigs

Immortal
Hey back on topic nearly (sorry to interrupt youse with the very interesting local juniors thang)... but hey I just looked at the ladder and we are not last anymore.

Beau's pharkked up already.

We're on the road again... climbing our Everest

Card Shark

Immortal
The CSDJRL lost 500 kids from last year. 500. As a coach Ive got parents approaching me left right and centre wanting to pull their kids out of the sport as they have genuine (and justified) fears for their safety. That alone should tell you that something is majorly messed up.

Wow that's a massive decline.

Newman, is that due to the McKinnon thing &/or other reasons, such as the size of the opponents?

carcharias

Immortal
We had a bunch of our best players bail on us to play for another mob.
Years later I found out they were getting paid..we were only 17 ish at the time.
A year later they came back to us.
One went in to play for the drags - tigers and storm.

Surely

Post Whore
We had a bunch of our best players bail on us to play for another mob.
Years later I found out they were getting paid..we were only 17 ish at the time.
A year later they came back to us.
One went in to play for the drags - tigers and storm.

happened when i was a kid playing AFL and that was a looooonnngggg time ago

Newms,

Certain clubs on the Gold Coast were renowned for stacking a team in each age group and would poach players from other clubs. Free rego, all their footy gear and the chance to play rep footy were the 'incentives'. This club also had it's share of ex-first graders as coaches , members etc.

To try and stop this practice, a transfer rule was put in place whereby no more than 3 players could transfer from one club to another unless of course they moved address and were now in that club's area. I think it was less if they were current rep players.

We had a club that had a few rep players but were mostly there because of mummy or daddy and would get beaten by other teams so during one pre-season, they ran dead for the first 3 rounds and were subsequently put into 2nd division. Needless to say they beat everyone and won the comp.

Another problem that can be fixed with weights, is the influx of Polynesian kids. Most are born weighing 80kgs and are 170cm - and that's in under 12s.

Good luck all of you blokes dealing with juniors. Glad to be out of it. Too many egos and far too many parents replaying their careers through their sons.

The temptation to belt a father or two was almost over whelming, all consuming. These same turds never put their hand up to assist in any way. Wouldn't sell a raffle ticket, run water or support other boys - just yell for their kid. I suppose this is the way all over now with the money for NRL careers the way it is. The sad part is that for the vast majority of these boys, they will never be that elite and will walk away.

Maccas4177

Juniors
I happened to catch a glimpse of St Pats 15A's v Cronulla C'bah yesterday at Sutherland while I was waiting for my soccer game to start. St Pats were winning heavily. Cronulla couldn't even get off their own line. There were quite a few 'large' kids playing for St Pats and it looked like a massacre. What made it worse was the continual screaming from some stupid b1tch on the side line for some kid to rip another kids head off!!

Card Shark

Immortal
He's obviously still hampered by his neck, physically & mentally.

Cut him a bit of slack.

Scary I'd imagine in light of the recent McKinnon saga.

shaggs

Coach
He sucked for the first 40. Dogged it.

Second 40 he looked like he was looking for work with the ball and that improved his defence.

Pig Champion

Juniors
Yes. Lost 50-6 to Yarra today. I wasn't there mercifully. They won the comp undefeated and untouched 3 years running and went out and recruited a bunch of monsters from out of the area to get even stronger! They then instruct their goal kicker to miss conversions so the "slaughter rule" isn't invoked.
Grubs of the highest order. It's empire builders like this who are directly responsible for junior league being in a mess numbers wise and if you can pass me their coaches number I'll say that to him directly.

Fortunately my two oldest play in age groups that are fairly even.