What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Scott/Matt Prior - try/no try

Prior try, Scott no-try?

• Total voters

Slackboy72

Coach
Timmah,
Can you show me where in the rules it states that you can't pass off the ground?

I found this note in the 2004 version of the international rules:
A player in possession brought to his knees or
brought to the ground on his back may still pass the ball – provided
he has not made it evident that he has succumbed to the tackle

Maybe your copy of the rules is more up to date?

Please enlighten us all.

Jason Maher

Immortal
First off, Rabs was full of shit. Placing a hand on a player on the ground to effect a tackle only applies if the player with the ball was on the ground without anyone touching him (e.g. diving on the ball, tripping over, or after being ankle-tapped). If a player is brought to the ground in a tackle then he can offload the ball so long as the ball or the arm carrying the ball hasn't touched the ground and the tackle isn't completed in the opinion of the referee (i.e. the ref hasn't called held). Scott's arm never touched the ground, so that bit doesn't count. It's simply a matter of whether or not he was held, and in that case it's down to the discretion of the referees. Obviously both the on-field refs and the video ref did not think he was held. I think he probably was, but if the ref doesn't call held, he's not held. It's that simple.

If anything, I thought Prior should have been done for a strip... :p

RufusRex

Post Whore
a few things ...

1. It looks totally different at full speed than it does in slow motion ... At full speed it is touch and go and that being the case benefit of the doubt.
2. In slow motion it looks worse. Even worse is Andrew Johns watching the slow motion replay then commenting that the delay between momentum stopping and the ball being "passed" was over a second. Hey dipshit .. it was slow motion ... that makes things seem longer than they actually were FMD
3. Would have accepted a no try or a try decision .. one of those close ones ...

4. Idris was offside ;-)

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
if the ref doesn't call held, he's not held. It's that simple.
Rubbish. The refs do not call held every tackle.

If it wasn't the last tackle he wouldn't have tried to pass because he was held. It was an afterthought. A split second afterthough, granted, but an afterthought none-the-less.

Tweed Titan

Bench
I dislike the Dogs but no way this was a try. It isn't even 50/50. Good to see 26 unashamedly biased Dragons fans voting on this poll.

If that try was given against my team I'd have thrown all my toys out of the cot big time.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Timmah,
Can you show me where in the rules it states that you can't pass off the ground?

I found this note in the 2004 version of the international rules:

Maybe your copy of the rules is more up to date?

Please enlighten us all.

Those rules are clearly under the assumption the player isn't being touched/held by the defending team whilst on the ground.

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
Try. The referee had not called held, the tackle had not been complete.

Let me pose this scenario - would the Bulldogs have been penalised if they had continued with the tackle and taken Scott to the ground?

The poll results reflect a common trend -

If you're a St George fan, it was a try

If you're a Bulldogs fan or neutral, it was no try.

Parochial league fans...

Vic Mackey

Referee
Try. The referee had not called held, the tackle had not been complete.

Let me pose this scenario - would the Bulldogs have been penalised if they had continued with the tackle and taken Scott to the ground?

Ahh How much further on the ground did you want him??

RufusRex

Post Whore
if scott were over the line would it have been a try if he had put the ball on the ground instead of handing it off to prior?

answer is yes .. he would have been afforded time to get the ball on the ground ... It is the same application of the rule - whether it be putting the ball down or promoting it to another player to score.

Jason Maher

Immortal
The poll results reflect a common trend -

If you're a St George fan, it was a try

If you're a Bulldogs fan or neutral, it was no try.

Parochial league fans...

Have you ever seen one of these polls that don't split in such a fashion, no matter which team benefitted from the decision?

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
if scott were over the line would it have been a try if he had put the ball on the ground instead of handing it off to prior?

answer is yes .. he would have been afforded time to get the ball on the ground ... It is the same application of the rule - whether it be putting the ball down or promoting it to another player to score.

Ahh no. Over the line is completely different.

Over the line a player is never on the ground and you just have to touch him to constitute a tackle.

Over the line a tackle is not complete if the arm carrying the ball hits the ground - it's a bloody try when that happens or the player is given the chance to put the ball down if it is not yet down.

Over the line the defence can strip the ball.

The fact that you are over the line changes the intepretation of what constitutes a tackle completely.

j0nesy

Bench
The ref does not have to call held for a tackle to be complete!! That is ONE of the ways to complete a tackle and is normally only used when players are still standing.

Let's go with your agument that the player was on the ground and the tackle was complete. Then would the Bulldogs have been penalised if they went on with the tackle?

Latest posts