What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
BentSpoke-Red-Nut-can-180309-073650.png

Get into it

Bazal

Post Whore
Currently sitting at Bentspoke having a a Larkens Brown or three.

Great beer. Like Guinness and a Cadbury Creme Egg had a beer baby

Bazal

Post Whore
Random thought for the arvo, before my thoughts become a lot more basic later on

I often wonder if being a wine guy (as opposed to a wino :p ) alters the way I perceive beer at all...even gives me a better palate? Maybe not better, that's not the right word. Maybe more sensitive or more refined.

Spending a few hours helping a mate who runs a boutique liquor shop in a big BYO restaurant setting do some notes and food pairings and shit and there's a huge difference in most of them that I wouldn't expect. EG Hawke's Lager, because it's the biggest conflict.

His note (bearing in mind this is just us writing down random shit to collate properly later): "
"Pale gold/straw. Foamy head, gone in no time, no real aroma. Cardboard flavour, corny, no hops evident, thin and watery. Bog average "

My note: "Stuff all head after a few seconds, nice colour. Nose is sweet tropical fruit, maybe savin hops? Nice subtle flavour, gooseberry, tamarillo(?), a little sweet, not exciting, refreshing, solid session. Overcarbonated."

Now maybe a lager isn't the best beer to demonstrate the point because beer snobs seem to have hatred of anything paler than a pale ale, but it's not just this one where we differ massively. Or is that just more common when it comes to beer than wine?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Random thought for the arvo, before my thoughts become a lot more basic later on

I often wonder if being a wine guy (as opposed to a wino :p ) alters the way I perceive beer at all...even gives me a better palate? Maybe not better, that's not the right word. Maybe more sensitive or more refined.

Spending a few hours helping a mate who runs a boutique liquor shop in a big BYO restaurant setting do some notes and food pairings and shit and there's a huge difference in most of them that I wouldn't expect. EG Hawke's Lager, because it's the biggest conflict.

His note (bearing in mind this is just us writing down random shit to collate properly later): "
"Pale gold/straw. Foamy head, gone in no time, no real aroma. Cardboard flavour, corny, no hops evident, thin and watery. Bog average "

My note: "Stuff all head after a few seconds, nice colour. Nose is sweet tropical fruit, maybe savin hops? Nice subtle flavour, gooseberry, tamarillo(?), a little sweet, not exciting, refreshing, solid session. Overcarbonated."

Now maybe a lager isn't the best beer to demonstrate the point because beer snobs seem to have hatred of anything paler than a pale ale, but it's not just this one where we differ massively. Or is that just more common when it comes to beer than wine?

No doubt wine has a more developed vocabulary for the sale and description of its products, as well as a huge headstart in terms of marketing and prestige, but God damm I wish I had video of the baltimore restaurant critics visit to a brewpub/restaurant.

They were trying out the bar menu and the tender with over 20 years experience there offered suggestions for pairing only to bluntly be informed that beer was a complete waste of time. Bartender offered to get the owner and brewer to discuss.

Cue 45 minutes of the surprising misconceptions the critic had somehow been able to acquire being absolutely torn into a thousand pieces politely.

Not you, but many wine lovers are far to hasty to dismiss beer based on very outdated misconceptions.
Especially when barrel aged beers are brought into the equation.

Bazal

Post Whore
No doubt wine has a more developed vocabulary for the sale and description of its products, as well as a huge headstart in terms of marketing and prestige, but God damm I wish I had video of the baltimore restaurant critics visit to a brewpub/restaurant.

They were trying out the bar menu and the tender with over 20 years experience there offered suggestions for pairing only to bluntly be informed that beer was a complete waste of time. Bartender offered to get the owner and brewer to discuss.

Cue 45 minutes of the surprising misconceptions the critic had somehow been able to acquire being absolutely torn into a thousand pieces politely.

Not you, but many wine lovers are far to hasty to dismiss beer based on very outdated misconceptions.
Especially when barrel aged beers are brought into the equation.

Yeah I guess that was part of the question. Is there so little overlap in people who are reasonably serious about both that the skills for tasting and appraising beer and wine differ so much?

This guy isn't much of a wine drinker but he's a serious beer enthusiast, I reckon you have to be passionate to the point of being a bit nuts to open a boutique liquor store, and I presume his palate is pretty good at the very least. I was surprised when our ideas about some of the beers differed so hugely.

I hated dealing with proper wine snobs as a PPM. I would much rather deal with someone who knows absolutely nothing than 99% of wine snobs, because apart from a relatively rare few they know almost nothing but they read a few books and think they know everything. Especially the boomers, who also presume they know more than you just because they're older

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Cracked open a bottle of Murray's 10th anniversary ale last night. Aged in lark whiskey barrels.

It was the only bottle I had. Sad to see it go, lovely malty brown ale, well balanced whiskey character.

Last edited:

Latest posts