What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer

dubo

Juniors
I'm doing the Cyclic Keto Diet at the moment andhave dropped 4kg in 3 weeks without any cardio.

Basic concept is from Sunday to Friday, no carbs. It's a high fat diet (bacon, cheese, cream, etc) and you still eat the right amount of protein according to your Lean Body Mass. The aim is to deplete your muscles of glycogen and when your body can't get enought sugars to fuel the body, it switches over to using fat for fuel and creates ketones. You can get tester strips to see if you are in ketosis so in effect, it's testable to see ifyou are burning fat.

Your workouts tend to struggle as you are depleted of the sugars needed to get through a workout so that's why there is a weekend carbup, generally Friday afternoon to midnight Saturday night. I have been having maccas, beer, bundy, lasagne and anything and everything I wanted in this window. Generally by Tuesday night I have hit ketosis again and have a good 3 days of fat burning ahead.

Something to think about but yeah, 6 beers a night will never help.

Sounds a little difficult, might look at it further down the track. I'm going to start having no beer days and stick to weekends only.

dubo

Juniors
Males tend to store fat around the gut, chicks around the ass.

If you want to drop weight fast, you gotta drop carbs/sugar out of your diet. Bread,rice,potato, sugar are no no's. Beer is made from sugar, grains and water. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out mate.

OK it's been a week since I cut out carbs for dinner. No bull shit I have dropped to 100 kgs flat, that's 3 kilos in one week :shock:. Still eat carbs at breakfast and occasionally something at lunch.

Cliffhanger

Coach
f**k this low carb shit, the the kilos would be mostly water weight. You want to get rid of your grains though.

Meat, seafood, fruit, nuts and veggies (not potatoes), this is what your eating should comprise of.

Cletus

First Grade
I've completely given up on dieting. If I do really low carb/kilojoules I end up in a feast and famine cycle that makes me feel terrible and I end up gorging way too much. Now I'm trying to eat a fairly normal amount of kilojoules and just doing exercise to get a deficit. I feel a whole lot better and I don't really care how long it takes to lose weight.
The other thing with a low carb/high protein diet for me is that I like climbing and without glycogen you produce 50% more lactic acid so it really makes you struggle climbing.

dubo

Juniors
f**k this low carb shit, the the kilos would be mostly water weight. You want to get rid of your grains though.

Meat, seafood, fruit, nuts and veggies (not potatoes), this is what your eating should comprise of.

Not sure Cliffhanger, I'm having the same amount of fluid as I was a week ago, are saying that the carbs I previously had may have been retaining fluid and now they are cut out in the evening the fluid is gone? The only vegies I have are
-brochi
-squash
-zucchini
-spinnach
-eggplant
-mushrooms
-salads with avo and cheese

Moussaka is on the menu tonight, with no potato of course

dubo

Juniors
I've completely given up on dieting. If I do really low carb/kilojoules I end up in a feast and famine cycle that makes me feel terrible and I end up gorging way too much. Now I'm trying to eat a fairly normal amount of kilojoules and just doing exercise to get a deficit. I feel a whole lot better and I don't really care how long it takes to lose weight.
The other thing with a low carb/high protein diet for me is that I like climbing and without glycogen you produce 50% more lactic acid so it really makes you struggle climbing.

I must admit I do feel substantially more energetic without the carbs at dinner.

Cletus

First Grade
If it works for you do it Dubo, it just doesn't work for me. I had a six pack last night which was awesome.

legend

Coach
I dropped over 40kg's from 137 to 94 over a prolonged period of time but the last ten kg's I did in six months. Went from a size 40-42 in jeans to a 34" waist. I feel like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia!

IBS can work wonders for your weight but not the most pleasant way to lose it!

Joker's Wild

Coach
I dropped over 40kg's from 137 to 94 over a prolonged period of time but the last ten kg's I did in six months. Went from a size 40-42 in jeans to a 34" waist. I feel like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia!

IBS can work wonders for your weight but not the most pleasant way to lose it!

Ew.gif

I used to smash a carton a week no worries. Got off the piss six months ago, started eating healthy and running 2.5km every day and dropped from 96kg to 75kg in about 4-5 months. I frontload my carbs to earlier in the day and taper off, and I don't eat anything processed.

I have only just started up on the drink again and I leave the drinking to Fridays and Saturdays, and I don't drink at home anymore, as that was the only place I ever drank large amounts.

Snoochies

First Grade
I am loving this Cyclic Keto Diet. I have finally adapted, for a few weeks I was getting bad headaches when I was converting from glucose to fats as an energy source but this week I converted no troubles and feel fantstic!

Still dropping the kilos and eating more calories now than when I was trying to lose weight on a normal healthy eating plan, but the bonus is I get to eat the fun stuff too.

Weekend carbup started friday afternoon, pizza, some fruit, spaghetti bolognese, breaky on Saturday was bacon and egg mcmuffin, hash brown and large cappucini, protein shake, works burger and chips for lunch, something else for a snack, pasta for dinner and some bundy. Sunday I normally jump back on the diet but went out and had a big surf and turf and a couple of beers and then got back into the diet.

Monday night and Tuesday nights I did my workouts and they were decent and hit keto by wednesday morning and again using fat as fuel.

Look it up yourself. Me and a mate from work are doing it.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=36497

A typical daily diet would consist of:

Breakfast: Bacon and egg quiche cooke in 1 cup of cream. coffee with almond milk
Snack: 50g salami, 3 X 20g cheese.
Lunch: Salad (lettuce, tomatoes, half avocado, 100g cheese, 1 tin tuna in oil)
Snack: 1/2 cup almonds, protein shake
Dinner: Steak/Chicken/Sausages/Fish with veggies or salad
Bedtime snack: Protein shake after a workout.

I'll slip in extra salami or cheese during the day if I get peckish.

Last edited:
I might be imagining this, but I'm sure I read somewhere that there are major benefits for epileptics when they're on a keto diet.

Snoochies

First Grade
Yep you are correct, it reduces seizures and in some cases I think even eliminates them.

dubo

Juniors
For those still interested in my beer and fitness efforts or lack of. Still running 5ks three times a week and also some gym work when not running. The beer is still going strong but have set a date in January when I return from the Aust Tennis open and will only drink on weekends. Since posting this thread I have gone from about 43 minutes down to 30 minutes for the run. 25 is now my next goal.