What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer

Packy

Bench
Why is it that my boss is perfectly happy for me to go on lunch and smack 3 pints yet if I bring a single can back with my burger she gets all pissy?

carcharias

Immortal
Never heard of it. About to go to Dan Murphy's so I'll see if they have it. Hopefully tomorrow I will submit my detailed review & rating.

If you like hoppy IPA beers you'll like this.
It is not for pussy's.

seirra nevada pale ale is another nice one .
Stone and wood pacific ale is a very fruity one.
little creatures at any time of day or night.

I also like montieths pils.

Thomas

First Grade
Hop Hog was recently voted Australia's best beer. It's a hoppy but fruity drop. Great on a hot day. The new Little Creatures IPA is also special. Very similar flavour to Hop Hog.

I have a cube of each at home.

dubo

Juniors
No carbs last night except the beer. I will stick with it for 2 to 3 weeks and see how it goes, so far so good. I was still full from dinner last nights I only ate breakfast for the sake of it.

dubo

Juniors
Never heard of it. About to go to Dan Murphy's so I'll see if they have it. Hopefully tomorrow I will submit my detailed review & rating.

I'm probably a bit late and do yourself a favour and have a go at the 'tap king' bloody awesome. Just as good as beer on tap.

Gave up sugar last year, lost about 2kg, had a grog free month in January, lost 8kg. Put on about 3-4 kg since over winter. I'll probably have a grog free month again next year only this time February, not because its a shorter month, but because there's no cricket or footy.

newman

First Grade
My Mrs is a weight loss guru having studied it academically and worked as an exec in the industry for years.

There are a million methods to move weight and a lot of it comes down to finding what works for you personally; but the foundation always remains the same. Move more, consume less.

And a six pack a day? That is bordering on genuine alcoholism. Why even do it? Your tolerance to that level of booze would be so high that it would have almost zero impact.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I seen Hog Feral, but it was $57 for a case of 16 beers. No thanks lol.

Bought a case of Atomic instead. It was okay, I've had better pale ales though AKA James Squire.

sharknows

Bench
Could try the 2-5 diet. 2 days fasting per week but imo it's not really fasting as a male can have 600 calories on the fast days. I've been doing it about 6 weeks and have lost about 7-8 kg. I do the fast day monday & thursday as that feels the easiest to me....the other days I eat & drink as usual, and I do like a beer or 3!!
Typical fast day for me is
Brekky a couple of poached eggs & a slice of wholemeal toast no butter
Lunch I usually have an asian soup broth with a stick of celery chopped up in it
Dinner a piece of fish under 200gms and a bit of green vegie sinach, broccoli or similar.
If struggling during the day have a black coffee and a dry cracker.

I'm not good on willpower but managing this diet.

dubo

Juniors
My Mrs is a weight loss guru having studied it academically and worked as an exec in the industry for years.

There are a million methods to move weight and a lot of it comes down to finding what works for you personally; but the foundation always remains the same. Move more, consume less.

And a six pack a day? That is bordering on genuine alcoholism. Why even do it? Your tolerance to that level of booze would be so high that it would have almost zero impact.

Having cut the carbs out of my evening meal only two days ago I already feel less bloated and my stomach feels flatter. Yeah I have a high tolerance and I have a plan, maybe only have a beer friday, Saturday and Sunday like I used to.

beave

Coach
If you are going to eat bread, eat wholemeal. White is incredibly shit for you, you may as well eat the bag it comes in as it would have more nutritional value. If you want potato, eat sweet potato. Stay away from rice, pasta. You will find you will feel full after eating carbs but will crash an hour or so after, hence why people who have a massive lunch which generally includes carbs (counter meal with chips, burgers, sandwiches) want to go sleep because their body has just copped a massive amount of sugar/carbs and crash.You will also find you are hungry again after 2 hours or so because your body breaks it down quicker, fats and proteins take a long time to digest/breakdown and leave you fuller for longer from an appetite point of view.

I was a massive carb eater, hence why i hit the 100kgs mark. Im about 190cms, i was by no means hugely fat or obese but i felt like utter shit all the time and needed to make a change. I was eating a big bag of pretzels every 2 days, 4-8 slices of bread a day, pasta, rice, potato with dinner, plus shitloads of coke and snack foods. Doing the dukan diet really opened by eyes, once I hit the 77-78kgs mark I backed off the training due to being away a lot from work and slowly introduced carbs back into my diet. I have put about 8kgs back on but i know i can lose it easily if needed. People who hadn't seen me for 3 months nearly fell over after seeing me, 22kgs is a lot in 3 months but its easy if you want to do it and can keep to a set regime. Go to a nutritional shop and get protein shakes if you find you need convenient snacks at work as cans of tuna and cottage cheese get pretty boring after a while. A side effect of having no carbs is bad breath and a copper/metal taste in your mouth. On day 3 of no carbs you will find you will experience this and at first it's very weird but you will get used to it.

Also drink plenty if water to flush your system and help you shit. Protein is hard for the body to breakdown and needs water to aid it. Also for breakfast, put a tablespoon of oat bran in natural low fat yoghurt to help as well.

Last edited:

dubo

Juniors
So I have finally finished the kegs off. Now the rationing begins. 5 stubbies in the fridge tonight, then 4 next week and so on.

Snoochies

First Grade
I'm doing the Cyclic Keto Diet at the moment andhave dropped 4kg in 3 weeks without any cardio.

Basic concept is from Sunday to Friday, no carbs. It's a high fat diet (bacon, cheese, cream, etc) and you still eat the right amount of protein according to your Lean Body Mass. The aim is to deplete your muscles of glycogen and when your body can't get enought sugars to fuel the body, it switches over to using fat for fuel and creates ketones. You can get tester strips to see if you are in ketosis so in effect, it's testable to see ifyou are burning fat.

Your workouts tend to struggle as you are depleted of the sugars needed to get through a workout so that's why there is a weekend carbup, generally Friday afternoon to midnight Saturday night. I have been having maccas, beer, bundy, lasagne and anything and everything I wanted in this window. Generally by Tuesday night I have hit ketosis again and have a good 3 days of fat burning ahead.

Something to think about but yeah, 6 beers a night will never help.

carcharias

Immortal
So I have finally finished the kegs off. Now the rationing begins. 5 stubbies in the fridge tonight, then 4 next week and so on.

have your seen the Jamie Oliver carb free rice?
It is great.

It is cauliflower.
cut it up into to smaller florets, wash it and dry it. ( paper towel give it a shake etc )
You stick it in a blender and give it a quick whiz. Until it looks like rice.
Then put in a big bowl cover with cling wrap and microwave for 6 mins.

Great with a curry.
I have done it many times.
My missus is into that cross fit stuff and is on every carb/food free diet thing going.
This is about the only thing I have liked about these diets.

carcharias

Immortal
also 6 beers is fairly extreme...and I drink a shit load.
I make all my own beer and have it on tap at home so it is very tempting.

I try to go Sun, mon, tues, and thurs without a beer.
Thurs I might sneak one or two while cooking on the BBQ.