What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ben hornby = useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

moik

Bench
Soward also is pritty poor today he did some good things and then some really dumb things as soon as his contract is up he'll move on and I won't be that disappointed.
We must have watched different games. Soward was great today.

Hopefully one day you'll stop supporting this great club, I won't be disappointed.

And it's 'pretty' with an 'e'

blacklock

Juniors
Watch it again dickhead. He had to backpedal about 10 metres to take the ball.

how far he had to backpedal doesnt negate the position of the ball relative to the dead ball line. there was a player behind him to the right who could have taken it and had better bearings of where the line was.

moik

Bench
how far he had to backpedal doesnt negate the position of the ball relative to the dead ball line. there was a player behind him to the right who could have taken it and had better bearings of where the line was.
So you're blaming Hornby for Latimore not taking the ball on the full? ffs

moik

Bench
I just watched it again.

There is nobody in the game with legs long enough to do what you suggested they do.

ghostface

Juniors
Moik you're spot on. I read that ridiculous post about the super human effort it would have taken for anyone to take that ball dead and just shook my head.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Lockyer had the odd bad game now and then yet the Bronco's or QLD persisted and let him retire on his own terms. Hornby not as good as Lockyer but a man that is a better judge than anyone of you guys in Wayne Bennett thinks Hornby is a great player and asset to the team. One this for sure is he is a great leader and that is what the boys need now.

You can't blame Hornby for yesterday surely. If there is anyone to blame it is Vidot which everyone has pointed out. Hornby can't control that? The coach picking him after costing the dragons tries in previous games is more to blame. His confidence is down and with the plethora of wingers in our books why he has not given them a go is beyond me.

Against Manly which was only a few weeks ago Hornby set up 2 brilliant tries one with a great short ball to Horse and the other with a perfect kick to Nightingale in the corner. Take those out and Saints lose that game as well.Get off his back and watch the Manly game again to see how good he is.

stg666

Juniors
a lot of complaining and no solutions. prices first season as full time coach, nominated by bennett as the man to do the job. now,as soon as things go haywire ,people are calling for his head. ffs, who do u put there in his place. did u expect this season to b all smooth sailing? i am also unimpressed with how we went but......i would never entertain the thought of sacking a bloke who hasnt yet had the chance to prove himself. maybe the people calling for his and hornbys heads can do a better job , or maybe they can tell us who to use instead.

jenninga

First Grade
For what it's worth, the game was won and lost on Jamie's shot for goal from 45 metres out. What we should have done was keep the pressure on and kick for touch. If we don't score a try, kick the field goal then. One point is as good as two. The pressure would have been back on them. We didn't really get close enough after that.

All this is said in hindsight, obviously.

I will be very interested in Price's selections next week against Parra, who will be very hard to beat. Maybe.
Agree ,ok we were tired but pressuring them on their goaline psychologically would have been tough for them. We don't back our selves enough.This decision is the only criticism i will hand out to Hornby ,we should be ashamed on this forum ,the comments about him are disgracefull.He is not the playmaker,Soward is and he is not backing himself enough.I agree Hornby is not the player he used to be but he sure doesn't deserve this treatment.

There are plenty of players still playing 1st grade that "aren't the player they used to be". But is that the criteria for sacking them? If it was, then every player that is not performing to their absolute peak for 10-12 seasons straight should be sacked, because they are not what they used to be either.
It's a team game, and players bring different things to the team at different stages of their careers. At the beginning it's usually raw ability, but towards the end it's about what they can add to the team in terms of leadership and experience. And that's right where Ben is at the moment.

jenninga

First Grade
There are plenty of players still playing 1st grade that "aren't the player they used to be". But is that the criteria for sacking them? If it was, then every player that is not performing to their absolute peak for 10-12 seasons straight should be sacked, because they are not what they used to be either.
It's a team game, and players bring different things to the team at different stages of their careers. At the beginning it's usually raw ability, but towards the end it's about what they can add to the team in terms of leadership and experience. And that's right where Ben is at the moment.
ABSOLUTELY exactly where Benny is and we need his leadership more than ever as it is becoming clear that we going to have a frustrating season.

hardbaby

Coach
Mate the fact that you could even elude to Chase Stanley being a 1st grade center proves your worthiness of an uppercut!

I think I'll save the uppercuts for opposition supporters but I have good memories of Chase as a footballer. He had some defensive issues but most young players do. He was a weapon in attack. He represented New Zealand aged 19 and scored 2 tries (I think) on debut. Injuries have held him back, but I think he would add some fizz to our right side attack.

After a shocking run with injury chase needs to prove himself in nsw cup before bring elevated to fg.

As for hornby. People bashing him should be ashamed. Club legend. Also, its hardly fair to blame him for a lack of foresight in recruitment. It's true he's not what he used to be but is still part of the best halves combo we can put on the paddock with our current roster. At 5-6, no, it's not time to say 'oh well, f**k this season' and just blood youngsters...maybe when any chance of a finals berth is gone

Fire

First Grade
Couldn't be bothered reading through all the posts but going of the title of the thread 'ben hornby = useless', if people think that they have no idea.

He is not in the team at the moment to be a creative half-back. He is in the team because he is the captain and for his leadership. Hornby may not of even played this year if we signed Moltzen. He is trying to help the team out by playing.

The players hurt more after a loss more than anyone on these forums. They will turn it around.

After a shocking run with injury chase needs to prove himself in nsw cup before bring elevated to fg.

As for hornby. People bashing him should be ashamed. Club legend. Also, its hardly fair to blame him for a lack of foresight in recruitment. It's true he's not what he used to be but is still part of the best halves combo we can put on the paddock with our current roster. At 5-6, no, it's not time to say 'oh well, f**k this season' and just blood youngsters...maybe when any chance of a finals berth is gone

TheRev

First Grade
He is not in the team at the moment to be a creative half-back. He is in the team because he is the captain and for his leadership. Hornby may not of even played this year if we signed Moltzen. He is trying to help the team out by playing.

Precisely.. if we had a JT or Cronk floating around, we would use them.. but we dont, and Ben puts 100% effort in every week, runs the show, runs the team, runs at the line and cops whats coming.. he is a completely necessary part of this team right now.

The only way id want him replaced is with the halfback for 2013, and I dont think the Dragons have any idea who that will be yet, Kyle hasnt really shaped up to 1st grade the way we wanted, but I dont think we are doing him any favours either, he should play in the Cutters at 5/8 or Halfback... the fact that he isnt makes me wonder where the Dragons see his future.

Mr Red

First Grade
Precisely.. if we had a JT or Cronk floating around, we would use them.. but we dont, and Ben puts 100% effort in every week, runs the show, runs the team, runs at the line and cops whats coming.. he is a completely necessary part of this team right now.

The only way id want him replaced is with the halfback for 2013, and I dont think the Dragons have any idea who that will be yet, Kyle hasnt really shaped up to 1st grade the way we wanted, but I dont think we are doing him any favours either, he should play in the Cutters at 5/8 or Halfback... the fact that he isnt makes me wonder where the Dragons see his future.

seeing the future = having a strategy.
and i think our strategy only goes as far as the next weekend...
lets place more un-needed pressure on stanley by having him play centre all season and then throw him into a pressure halves position in first grade next season with zero experience and then wonder why he fails..
:(

64 Dragon

Coach

Price obviously thinks Kyle is the best right centre option we have. I feel desperately sorry for the kid. He has talent, no doubt, but put him where he can best exploit that talent in his best position.

Use Green in the centre. That is HIS position!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts