What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt -what are you?

Old Timer

Coach
Nice OT, put shit on Hunt with a little McFookknuckle on top.
Hunt’s a great player, glad to have him in the RedV.
According to you he’s missed the bus. How wrong you are.
Wake up to yourself I didn’t put shit on Hunt.
I never said he wasn’t a good player I simply pointed out the f**king obvious.
He has had many opportunities to close out games where he has failed to do so
Not all halves are the clutch player for teams in critical moments so Hunt doesn’t necessarily have to fill that role nor does the coach have to try and make him fill the role thus the statement referring to our illustrious coach and also the statement re Hunt missing the bus for that attribute.
Widdop up until this season had been unable to do it either however with Hunt in the team Widdop has been far better at critical moments so just maybe in 2019 Widdop may be able to add that string to his bow.
Hunt at 28 has never kicked a field goal so why try and invent that part of his game when it is not natural to him?

Brutalitops

Juniors
Had no idea about this, but I just read about how Ben Hunt's and his wife suffered a miscarriage around May this year, right around his Origin selection. They then spent the rest of the year both anxious and trying for a child, all the while dealing with the miscarriage, all on top of the media and fan vitriol

Really puts some things in perspective. Form should not matter at all to Hunt in that situation, yet he clearly dealt with some bullshit while clearly affected

The good news is they are now expecting again so very happy for the couple

ALSGI

Bench
In respect of all the comments re Hunt learning, growing, down on confidence etc etc the simple fact is that he is not a clutch player.
He has more failures at critical moments than he has success so if you want him to succeed as a player overall then don’t go to him when the game us on the line unless you want him to take the line on as the only option.
He is 28 and if he can’t do it now then the bus has already well and truly left and he isn’t on it.
Over to Mc Fookknuckle to devise a game plan that doesn’t put Hunt under the pump.
Lol, not putting shit on him, just pointing out the obvious. You point out one aspect of his game and say he’s missed the bus.

ALSGI

Bench
Wake up to yourself I didn’t put shit on Hunt.
I never said he wasn’t a good player I simply pointed out the f**king obvious.
He has had many opportunities to close out games where he has failed to do so
Not all halves are the clutch player for teams in critical moments so Hunt doesn’t necessarily have to fill that role nor does the coach have to try and make him fill the role thus the statement referring to our illustrious coach and also the statement re Hunt missing the bus for that attribute.
Widdop up until this season had been unable to do it either however with Hunt in the team Widdop has been far better at critical moments so just maybe in 2019 Widdop may be able to add that string to his bow.
Hunt at 28 has never kicked a field goal so why try and invent that part of his game when it is not natural to him?
Glad you woke up and almost had something positive to say this time around. Your constant negativity astounds me.

Old Timer

Coach
Glad you woke up and almost had something positive to say this time around. Your constant negativity astounds me.
You’re inability to comprehend the most obvious of things never ceases to amaze me.
The context of the post was about clutch moments in games so a very specific area which Hunt does poorly in as in fact do many other quality players
So in that aspect / area of expertise Hunt is not on the bus as he does not have that skill set
The coach should use all his strengths and not place him in or expect him to succeed in situations where he fails
If you can’t see that and think Hunt is the go to man then good luck to you.

Drag Queen

Bench
Had no idea about this, but I just read about how Ben Hunt's and his wife suffered a miscarriage around May this year, right around his Origin selection. They then spent the rest of the year both anxious and trying for a child, all the while dealing with the miscarriage, all on top of the media and fan vitriol

Really puts some things in perspective. Form should not matter at all to Hunt in that situation, yet he clearly dealt with some bullshit while clearly affected

Certainly puts things into perspective. I hope the pregnancy goes to plan. Cheers Xx

getsmarty

Immortal

Well Said..people , especially our own supporters should be getting behind Ben Hunt and doing what supporters do..which is Support him.

He has been unfairly criticized by the media and fans of other clubs. Best wishes to Ben and his wife on their news and hoping everything works out well for them from here onward.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Well Said..people , especially our own supporters should be getting behind Ben Hunt and doing what supporters do..which is Support him.

He has been unfairly criticized by the media and fans of other clubs. Best wishes to Ben and his wife on their news and hoping everything works out well for them from here onward.
Totally agree and as supporters of this great Club we all need to support Ben as our Halfback and a very important member of the team. We are lucky to have him and he's copped far too much unnecessary ridicule from the media and armchair experts.

possm

Coach

Look, I'm sure all SGI fans would like to see Hunt play to his best ability. I'd say that would like to see all of our players play to their best ability. There will be elements that will contribute positively or negatively towards a players ability to perform at their best.

At SGI we have lots of reasons why players perform poorly. in addition there will be many personal reasons as well. For me it all comes down to the coaching staff and their ability to identify problems whether they be skill shortages, personal problems, inability to perform tasks set under a game plan etc.

When it comes to Hunt, I'm not just singling out our coaching staff as Bennett faced similar problems getting him to consistently perform at his best. Of course we see players in our squad who's performance has improved and others who's performance has declined or remained the same. For me the most concerning thing is that the entire squad seems to believe that no matter how they perform, they will not be held accountable. This along with game plans, professional development and selection in the 17 no matter what form a player is in, really sets SGI apart from the top four clubs in the competition.

JDHD

Juniors
I have not been one to bag Hunt but I just watched the replay of last nights test. 1 minute to go, aussies down by 2 points, DCE goes to dummy half on the last and it goes out to Ben Hunt.
Ben Hunt roofs it down the fullbacks throat. Not a bomb where there are chasers but a field possession kick way down field.
Understatement to follow in capitals.
BEN HUNT ISN'T FANTASTIC UNDER PRESSURE.

He was hung out to dry. The backs weren’t in formation to chase, the dominant halfback was at dummy half, the forwards had hands on hips. There was literally no play he could have made that would have gone well for them.

Same with DCE. Sure, he threw a speculator that hit the ground but god damn where was literally anyone to receive the ball. Where was Hunt? Where was Jurbo? Where was Latrell? Tedesco? This Kangaroos team is poorly coached and are used to having Smith/Cronk/Thurston/Slater save them.

possm

Coach
That's the odd thing.

We have been screaming out for a number seven for so many years, we have one know.

Fire up, get behind our man and he will deliver.

Hunt performs well behind a dominant forward pack. The Kangaroo pack played poorly and needs a restructure. Our halves had little room to move all agame and DCE did not create the holes for our backrow and centres to probe.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of comments here:

1. Test match: when Keary went down Hunt was thrown in at 6 which is not his position. Throughout the game he played 6 and occasionally went to hooker. Maguire was used at hooker when Cook went off. DCE was poor imo, and ball hogged when Hunt was on. This is where we lost that game.

2. If the miscarriage is correct then ALL of us should feel a deep depth of sympathy for him and his wife. However, given this circumstance where was the duty of care, firstly by our club and secondly from the QRL? Surely someone from both should have considered time out for Hunt to deal with it. Obviously no-one did and we saw the result of that.

This event would have mentally effected the most stern minded individual, Hunt is not that and more on the feeble side in any case.

Hopefully, and again if, the new pregnancy will result in a healthy baby and naybe then we will see the best of Benny.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I look at some highlights of Ben's first year and their are much more highlights than lowlights. The guy is a gun and will only get better. The fact that he and his wife had some misfortune now makes sense why his mind may have been wandering during some games. But hey. AGAIN, it is the coach who should manage this and this shows poor form in Mary. Rather than give the guy some time away from footy he made him play on.

I really hope Mary has learnt that your best team on paper should take into account injury and mental state of the person. You are better off putting on a player in a position that is 100% fit than one that may be below his best.

Absolutely true but all the carry on may well have been avoided by the couple if they had shared that unfortunate and tragic chapter in their lives with the media.
Would certainly have put the brakes on the criticism and brought perspective to his on field form..
At the same time, I understand that it probably was a very private matter and not one that they would want to have broadcast.
Nevertheless, people in the limelight often have to handle these things differently from most.
Best wishes to both for a safe and happy addition to the Family.

possm

Coach
Absolutely true but all the carry on may well have been avoided by the couple if they had shared that unfortunate and tragic chapter in their lives with the media.
Would certainly have put the brakes on the criticism and brought perspective to his on field form..
At the same time, I understand that it probably was a very private matter and not one that they would want to have broadcast.
Nevertheless, people in the limelight often have to handle these things differently from most.
Best wishes to both for a safe and happy addition to the Family.

In my opinion Hunt should have made himself unavailable and privately given his reasons to the Australian coach. Mal could have discretely let the Qld selectors know.

getsmarty

Immortal
Tragic admission shows reality of NRL star’s heartbreaking year
AS the footy world was crashing down on his head this season, Ben Hunt was dealing with much more severe pain behind the scenes.

SOMEWHERE in between all the talk of football tragedies like losing games and injuries, Kangaroos star Ben Hunt silently suffered the kind of raw, real heartbreak that only happens away from the football field.

Hunt’s wife Bridget revealed recently the couple suffered a miscarriage earlier this year around the Dragons’ season-opening win over the Broncos on March 8.

In a year where Hunt’s form and reported $1.2 million per-season contract made him one of the most criticised players in the game, his young family’s heartbreaking revelation adds another tragic element to his season from hell.

Hunt revealed last month he had been receiving advice from a psychologist to confront anxiety and isolation issues.

He was — unfairly — the face of Queensland’s State of Origin series defeat.

It was all crashing down on him.

6c0e553c50ea444f87f6dab88501dc75

Ben Hunt, son Brady and partner Bridget.Source:News Corp Australia

When NSW clenched the series in Game 2, Hunt was ruthlessly criticised and attacked on social media for his mistake in kicking the ball dead when Queensland attacked late in the game — and for his mistake in giving away a penalty try for a professional foul on Boyd Cordner.

Former Queensland teammate Johnathan Thurston called it “dumb football”. Former Broncos teammate Justin Hodges was one of many calling for Hunt to be dropped after Game 2. Fox League NRL 360 host Paul Kent labelled him the “Mitchell Pearce” of Queensland.

He was eventually dropped to the bench for Game 3.

The social media response was much more vicious.

Bridget’s announcement recently that she suffered a miscarriage at 12 weeks seems to make all that football talk of form, points and representative jerseys immaterial.

Suddenly, the Dragons halfback’s form fluctuations are understandable. Vindicated. Unquestionable.

Bravery only tells part of the story of Hunt’s commitment to play through his personal tragedy and help steer the Dragons to the second week of the playoffs, while earning Queensland and Australian representative honours.

7479d5007810b51af46889b0bf4aa333

Ben Hunt after the Maroons’ State of Origin Game 2 loss.Source:Getty Images

Bridget’s post on Instagram shows Hunt had more important things than shields and Maroon dynasties on his mind going into this year’s State of Origin period.

“2018 has been filled with a multitude of challenges for our family,” Bridget posted.

“In feb we were excited to be announcing that our family was growing by 2 feet, however unfortunately miscarried at 12 weeks.

“Its always hard in those situations to think, what could I have done differently? What did I do wrong, what it was that I did to impact the result? Sometimes, things are just meant to be — and it was hard to focus on the positives when you are experiencing emotions of grief, sadness, loneliness and so many questions that no one had the answers too.”

The post also shows the difficulties the couple faced during the NRL season when they were having problems conceiving.

After the Dragons’ form dipped after the State of Origin period and the early season leaders dropped to seventh on the ladder, Bridget hit out at her husband’s critics in an emotional social media post where she fired back at the “despicable bullying” he was receiving.

“Words have meaning! You may not think they affect the person, but they have meaning!” she posted on Instagram.

“It’s funny, that Ben is apparently being blamed for the Dragons’ performances of late, but it’s funny, last time I checked it’s his first year at the Dragons, and this has happened three years in a row. And it’s funny that there’s 17 people in a whole side, yet it’s all his fault!

“Players make errors when they are loosing [sic], and players make errors when they are winning too! Rugby league should not be condoning this culture!”

6ec8b98bb744fe8ac33b0ba1fc481fb8

Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ season-ending loss to the Rabbitohs.Source:AAP

Her recent Instagram post was much more heartwarming.

The young couple first received word in September that they are expecting their second child — and son Brady, 2, will soon have a sibling to play with.

The first stages of Bridget’s pregnancy played out in the middle of the Dragons’ finals series where Hunt starred in their upset win over the Broncos before their defeat at the hands of South Sydney the following week.

“We then began trying but month after month, being disappointed over and over I began to question my integrity as a nutritionist altogether,” Bridget posted.

“This is my job to help people through such struggles, yet here I was living it myself. all of this amongst football challenges and personal attacks being launched at Ben weekly, our backs have been against the wall and needed some separation from negativity and from the people who write hurtful things that have no consequences because the person isn’t in front of you.

“To say it’s been challenging would be saying the least, but resilience and character are built under pressure... and positive things always come with patience.”

Bridget says they are due on April 13 next year. That’s really all that matters.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/t...r/news-story/9fdbd8859a6f646df0e831e00b2a62ba