What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Of the 16 current NRL halbacks Ben Hunt would rank about 9th after Thurston Johnson Cronk Reynolds Pearce Cherry-Evans Hodgkinson and Brooks. Putting a value on the 9th best halfback in the game is a tricky task. Suspect the broncos would value him at about $500000 Would think that a $200000 premium on that would be adequate

If the Broncos want Hunt they will easily retain him via third party payments

Would not rank Pearce, Hodgkinson or Brooks in front of Hunti

Cannot see us signing him however would be happy to let Widdop and Duges go to facilitate the deal

Widdop played well in a well coached team

Duges is likely to end up a centre seeking the coin of a ball playing fullback

Prefer to see Nona/Mann and Field audition for the number 6 jersey this season should a miracle occur and we sign Hunt

If Uncle Wayne doesn't want Hunt, we should not attempt to sign him

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Of the 16 current NRL halbacks Ben Hunt would rank about 9th after Thurston Johnson Cronk Reynolds Pearce Cherry-Evans Hodgkinson and Brooks. Putting a value on the 9th best halfback in the game is a tricky task. Suspect the broncos would value him at about $500000 Would think that a $200000 premium on that would be adequate

There is no way in the world Hodkinson, Brooks, Reynolds, Pearce or even Cherry-Evans are ahead of Ben Hunt. The others are some of the best halves we've ever seen in the history of the game. In fact Hunt is next in line for the Queensland number 7 jersey after Cronk retires.

When the cap goes up over the next few years player contracts are going to sky-rocket, especially in the halves. We NEED an established halfback and Hunt is the best player out there within reach for us. He will compliment Jai Field's natural game perfectly.
The club cannot afford to miss out on an established half, they need to act now and push hard.

GC Dragon

Juniors
There is no way in the world Hodkinson, Brooks, Reynolds, Pearce or even Cherry-Evans are ahead of Ben Hunt. The others are some of the best halves we've ever seen in the history of the game. In fact Hunt is next in line for the Queensland number 7 jersey after Cronk retires.

When the cap goes up over the next few years player contracts are going to sky-rocket, especially in the halves. We NEED an established halfback and Hunt is the best player out there within reach for us. He will compliment Jai Field's natural game perfectly.
The club cannot afford to miss out on an established half, they need to act now and push hard.
100% agree with every word you said . Most agree the 2 things we need most is a genuine first grade number 7 and a quality coach ...Well here is a chance to fix one of those problems .

JDHD

Juniors
Ben Hunt was one of the top five players in the game between 2014 and 2015. He played with demons last year behind a badly beaten forward pack. A change of scenery would probably do him some good.

Plus, we're in a position where we have to pay overs to entice quality players. This is more symptomatic of our on-field performances and lack of success with marquee signings than actual market value.

Mr Red

First Grade
maybe not worth a million but second tier? really?

Well he's not top tier... So must be second.
Elite are guys like Thurston or Cronk.
I would class someone like Adam Reynolds or Cherry Evans as top tier.... and Hunt falls short of them IMO

ALSGI

Bench
I say yes keep him interested but let's see what happens first half of the year, we may well be in for a surprise with developments. Mary's forced to try others with Benji gone and Hutch down. Hopefully any number of solutions could work (as long as it's not McCrone) and the money could be best spent on retention of others.

Dragsters

First Grade
Hunt is better than Reynolds.

I rate Reynolds as one of the best halfbacks primarily due to his astute kicking game.

However I do agree that Hunt is better with ball in hand and creatively in general than Reynolds.

In addition, he is a much bigger fish than luke keary imo and deserves a significantly larger offer than he.

Last edited:

redwhitedragon

Juniors
I heard that Hunt and Kevin Walters are very close as well. It may be a case that if we can attract Hunt maybe it may be enticing for Walters to come or vice versa. That would be great I reckon.

giboz71

First Grade
Well he's not top tier... So must be second.
Elite are guys like Thurston or Cronk.
I would class someone like Adam Reynolds or Cherry Evans as top tier.... and Hunt falls short of them IMO

Thurston and Cronk are in a class of their own.

Agree Hunt is a notch below but he's played 3 test matches so he's definitely not second tier. He offers more than Reynolds IMO.

And when you consider that guys like Brooks, Moses and Taylor are likely going to command that sort of cash, I think Hunt has more runs on the board than any of those guys and he's still only 26.

Million bucks is probably excessive, but that's what it will take to lure anyone decent.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hunt is an NRL standard half, nothing more, nothing less. To offer $1m is just "manager" talk to boost up his $$$ as he's probably being courted by not just us (if that's even true) but the Bronco's and the Eels. My guess is the Eels offer is a little below what was being asked and of course use the desperate Dragons as a negotiation tool.

mickeylane

Bench
The Way Im reading it as follows:

We keep Widdop at $550,000 a season we cant afford to pay another halfback $750,000 so lets get rid of Widdop, bring in Field at No.6 on say $250,000 and pay the $1M that we need to bring in a top shelf no. 7....in my view based on this deal the club is better off...both financially and performance wise...

Field is a gun and Ben Hunt is a potent no. 7 that will excel under the pressure IMO

Reactions: Qdf

monsterkev

Juniors
On the sporting news website it all but said widdop will not be there after next year and that is basically what saints are relying on to afford hunt

Lethal25

Juniors
On the sporting news website it all but said widdop will not be there after next year and that is basically what saints are relying on to afford hunt
Widdop is off contract so ball is not in his court, I won't be upset to see him move on. He's average at organising, running and passing. I don't imagine too many defensive lines quaking in their boots when he has ball in hand