What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Old Timer

Coach
Unless im missing something Clune appears to be exclusively playing on the left and pretty much playing a 5/8 role despite his number. I would like to him move fully into a halfback role now that he has his confidence up. In saying that Norman played his best game for us on the weekend and the combinations are growing so with only 10 rounds left we may as well keep it as is. If we can get over this bogey game and then smash the Sharks which we bloody well better do as visitors at Kogarah I honestly believe we can scrape into the 8.
If that's Normans best game for us then drop him as his best wasn't necessarily that good.
He is a good time Charlie and best suited to the dressing shed of another club.
We need to clarify who we might keep that hasn't had a fair go.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If that's Normans best game for us then drop him as his best wasn't necessarily that good.
I’m certainly not a Norman lover and would not resign him but the team looks well balanced atm and I’m happy to see this spine continue to build for the remainder of the season. If we lose a couple and end up out of contention I’d drop him straight away to get ready for 2021 but while we are still in the “Hunt” I think building on these combos is our best option.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Unless im missing something Clune appears to be exclusively playing on the left and pretty much playing a 5/8 role despite his number. I would like to him move fully into a halfback role now that he has his confidence up. In saying that Norman played his best game for us on the weekend and the combinations are growing so with only 10 rounds left we may as well keep it as is. If we can get over this bogey game and then smash the Sharks which we bloody well better do as visitors at Kogarah I honestly believe we can scrape into the 8.
Correct me if I'm wrong but do we have traditional number 6 and 7 anymore. Seems they say halves where one is a game manager (Norman) and a Running Half (Clune). Being an old halfback once upon a time I'd be lost no inside centres no outside centres the fullback playing in the backline doing my job and a forward who wants to be a halfback lol.

hazzbeen

Bench
The way Field is playing , if he was given a go here we would not have needed to sign this bloke on the money he is on ....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Correct me if I'm wrong but do we have traditional number 6 and 7 anymore. Seems they say halves where one is a game manager (Norman) and a Running Half (Clune). Being an old halfback once upon a time I'd be lost no inside centres no outside centres the fullback playing in the backline doing my job and a forward who wants to be a halfback lol.
Different teams use them differently some just have 7 playing right and 6 left and some use 7 as the chief playmaker and 6 as a running half like inside centre in Rugby. But definitely Norman is playing the traditional 7 role as far as I can see. He’s at very least standing in that position. I have noticed Clune starting to take control a bit more though so hopefully that continues.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Different teams use them differently some just have 7 playing right and 6 left and some use 7 as the chief playmaker and 6 as a running half like inside centre in Rugby. But definitely Norman is playing the traditional 7 role as far as I can see. He’s at very least standing in that position. I have noticed Clune starting to take control a bit more though so hopefully that continues.
Norman doesn't do much a little run here and there a kick or two but did back up inside after a smart Cluney Kick.

blacksafake

First Grade
Haven’t times changed. I was a 5/8 & from the scrum I’d pass to the inside centre.
Now the “hooker” picks up from the back of the scrum & passes to a winger or forward.:thinking:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Norman doesn't do much a little run here and there a kick or two but did back up inside after a smart Cluney Kick.
Yeah he doesn’t seem to but it’s hard to see what he’s doing in the backfield. He could be doing a fair bit of organising who knows really. Hard to change a winning team though. At least he ran the ball last week.

possm

Coach
I really like Hunt at 9 and McInnes at 13. Both players are contributing more in defence and attack.

George Sancti

Juniors
I really like Hunt at 9 and McInnes at 13. Both players are contributing more in defence and attack.

It was a good move to play Hunt at hooker and McInnes at lock. My only concern was that they may get targeted by the bigger opposition forwards. However, whoever was controlling the interchange on Sunday did a good job by giving McInnes a thirteen minute spell.

Reactions: jak

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It was a good move to play Hunt at hooker and McInnes at lock. My only concern was that they may get targeted by the bigger opposition forwards. However, whoever was controlling the interchange on Sunday did a good job by giving McInnes a thirteen minute spell.
You’re welcome

getsmarty

Immortal
Cameron McInnes explains how Ben Hunt switch has unlocked Dragons' offensive game
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2FfcR87aTg_sT4iTNss20zpWSTxM8%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2019%2F05%2F17%2F16%2F24%2Fchris-de-silva-sports-journalist-wide-world-of-sports.jpg
By Chris De Silva
17 hours ago
St George Illawarra Dragons captain Cameron McInnes has offered an insight into how the positional change to shift Ben Hunt to hooker has unlocked the side after a slow start to the year.

After being benched earlier in the season due to inconsistent performances in the halfback role, Hunt has thrived in the No.9 jersey, with McInnes, the team's usual hooker being moved into the lock position.

St George Illawarra has sprung to life after a 0-4 start to the season, with the latest outing seeing the Dragons record an impressive 34-4 win over Manly.

Speaking to Nine's 100% Footy, McInnes explained how having a more offensive-minded No.9 like Hunt has allowed the Dragons to take advantage of rule changes which have seen the game speed up this season.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F80072b1d-a81e-4fce-a6e5-4fefe0fbeef5

Ben Hunt celebrates a try with Dragons teammate Josh Kerr in the thumping win against Manly (Getty)
"Any movement around the ruck and leg-speed and things like that are pretty important," he said.

"Being able to have a ball-player, and I'm trying to add that to my game, we haven't had that in the middle so it helps as well.

"With my game, we were probably seeing more of a defensive player (at No.9), so getting Hunty in there, he's a bit more creative and I can still do my work.

"Being a hooker, I can see what Hunty is seeing (and) when he wants to take off, I'll be there with him."

Cameron McInnes thinks the move to shift Hunt into his old position has helped his team begin firing (Getty)

McInnes admitted that Hunt was enjoying his football more in the No.9 jersey, explaining how getting away from the pressure that comes in the halves has been key.

"He is more relaxed and enjoying it a lot more, I don't know if that coincides with the way that we're all playing with him as well," he said.

"I've not played there myself, but in the halves there is a lot of pressure on them and as a team we weren't playing well around him or Corey (Norman) or (Adam Clune).

"He's a Queensland hooker, so he is a natural hooker and he's very good at it.

"He's enjoying it and for me, that's the most important thing, he's enjoying his footy and playing well."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/camero...-dragons/b6876a3b-467f-4549-ac09-06e52c11c61a

Wolfgang ofihd

Juniors
In terms of rotation with hunt and mciness playing in the middle. Mciness was subbed around the 67th min when we were leading 18-4. It's likely just to save him some mins during our big lead and most weeks he'll play the 80 alongside hunt.

Opposition coaches will target both hunt and mciness to tire them out and lessen their attacking output. Imo more likely we see hunt have a spell on the bench during games rather than mciness

blacksafake

First Grade
Hunts ripper of a kick early in the tackle count was a boss move. A real turning point. Backed up beautifully by Lomax and Friz on the kick chase.
I don’t mind kicking early in the tackle count just as long as the kick chase is good. What pi55es me off when you do that is when the effin ref finds an early penalty after you’ve held them down there.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I don’t mind kicking early in the tackle count just as long as the kick chase is good. What pi55es me off when you do that is when the effin ref finds an early penalty after you’ve held them down there.
That was happening with frustrating regularity last night. Can’t stand Perenara as a ref, I’m sure I’m just a one eyed Dragon but you’d swear he had it in for us.

Dragon David

First Grade
That was happening with frustrating regularity last night. Can’t stand Perenara as a ref, I’m sure I’m just a one eyed Dragon but you’d swear he had it in for us.
Perenara appears to show a dislike for the Dragons when he referees us in games. Maybe it's because we pissed him off from the club during his playing days.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
The one that killed me was last week Chechin. I like Matt as a ref but when he referee something to the bunker I am
Not sure but my ears heard him tell the bunker to look again for whatever it was

Latest posts