1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Ben Hunt

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Saints Forever, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

If he can resolve the Boyd fiasco, hold onto his forwards and get a half decent 7, I actually think he will make it next year.
    There is just something about him that appeals to my footy logic (talking myself up here) and I actually like the best of what they did last year and think he can resolve the worst of what they did.
    His biggest issues will be the old players interfering and the Bennett hangover albeit Bennett's best at the Bronco's was a long time ago.

hazzbeen and BBTB like this.
  2. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

Seibold is a myth.

3. SnowDragon

SnowDragon Juniors

Mary isn’t :joy:

hazzbeen likes this.
  4. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

You were a better judge than me I said 6th at best for us down to 12th but Mary never ceases to amaze

TruSaint likes this.
  5. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

2 comps at the helm 2 semis not bad for a myth.

hazzbeen likes this.
  6. lynx000

lynx000 Juniors

Hard to disagree with any of that. We wait to see what happens in 2020. Some of his selection decisions were baffling in the least, if not downright insanity. What caused that is the question.

TruSaint likes this.
  7. lynx000

lynx000 Juniors

Ahhh that was Uncle Wayne's idea after he had to bring Darius home and that meant fullback was not open for Milford.

PS I was not having a shot at your club, more at McGregor. Hunt was damaged goods and at least around some of the fan base we had realised that he was not a game managing half back, but more a running 5/8th or perhaps a hooker. Whilst he had Widdop with him it might have worked having him as the half. With Norman, not so sure.

Mjab, TruSaint and BLM01 like this.
  8. lynx000

lynx000 Juniors

Again, good points which I largely agree with. He talks a good game, hopefully the team starts to show that next year, but I am starting to have some doubts.

TruSaint likes this.
  9. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Time for Hunt to reclaim halfback jersey: Joey

George Vlotis
    1 hour ago

Eighth Immortal Andrew Johns believes it's time for Ben Hunt to reclaim the No.7 jersey and move back into his natural halfback role for St George Illawarra.

Hunt was given the punt from the Dragons' starting roster after a string of consecutive losses earlier this season.

Coming off the bench, the former Maroons star impressed in the hooker's role and has since found himself starting in the No.9 jersey, pushing skipper Cam McInnes into lock.

With the ship now steadied, Johns claimed it was time for coach Paul McGregor to revert Hunt to his natural position and unleash his skill-set to exploit the new faster ruck.

[​IMG] :copyright: Getty Ben Hunt
    "I just think he's a more creative player, at clubland he's an out and out halfback." He told Wide World of Sports' Immortal Behaviour.

"We know he's been struggling the last couple of years, but the way the ruck is now with the quicker ruck, he's a running halfback, you know when he gets those sausage dog legs going, he's incredibly hard to tackle.

"I just think the way the game is going now, it really suits the way he plays. They've adjusted the way they're playing so it would suit him. I think at club level he's an out and out half-back, at rep level he's a dummy half."

The move would allow McInnes to revert back to his favoured hooker's role, despite an impressive stint at lock.

[​IMG] :copyright: Provided by Wide World of Sports Dragons star Ben Hunt speaks on his position shift.
    Johns had nothing but praise for the Dragons skipper who has been more than willing to handle any situation thrown at him.

"If you had 13 Cameron McInnes' in your side every week, you'd never get beat," Johns said.

"That's the sort of player he is. And the best thing, he doesn't jump up and down and say, 'I don't want to play lock, get my manager I wanna get out'. He takes his medicine, there's a lesson there."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/mor...t-to-reclaim-halfback-jersey-joey/ar-BB16zs5g

TruSaint and blacksafake like this.
  10. Spazer

Spazer Juniors

I disagree, I think Clunes flat passing game is better suited for the games current meta. Clune's direction and passing (and Dufty's) is one reason why Lomax and Aitken are running better lines. If anything Hunt should be wearing no. 6 imo

blacksafake and getsmarty like this.
  11. redv13

redv13 Juniors

I think Clune is doing a good job in the 7. I’d be dropping Norman way before Clune

Old Timer, hewi, Coreyzz and 5 others like this.
  12. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

7 - Clune 6 - Hunt... allow Clune to direct the team and allow Hunt to play his natural running game...it really is that simple....

13. possm

possm Coach

I'd say that Hunt has had his time at 7 and now needs to do extremely well at 9 or find himself at another Club. With Green leaving the Warriors at season's end, I would not be surprised to see them make a play for Norman or Hunt.

14. redv13

redv13 Juniors

Norman would be a perfect fit for the Warriors.
    We can have LAM back and an outside back. Perfect swap

15. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Hunt has never been used correctly by mcGregor...he is a running half...play him along with Clune organizing...Norman will be hard to offload...

16. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

Can't compare the two , Mary has had 7 years and counting ..... Give Siebold 7 years then compare ....

BLM01 and getsmarty like this.
  17. SaintPeter

SaintPeter Juniors

Ben Hunt is a classic example of McNoideas coaching credentials, or lack thereof.
    This one issue (among many!!) of, giving up on BH as a half, and moving him to hooker
    should be enough for any reasonable board/ management representative to seriously wonder if they have a fair dinkum coach or an imposter, AND do something about it.
    We all know Ben Hunt has ability and talent, but the coach at SGI has no idea how to use it, grow it, develop it, improve it, foster it, etc.
    Sad indictment on the club in general.

18. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

It really is that simple.
    They tried it for one game only, however the game plan was for Hunt to organise & Clune to make up the numbers.
    Why Norman is the one irreplaceable is strange.

19. redVinme

redVinme Juniors

Bring back Patty Herbert

20. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

Unless im missing something Clune appears to be exclusively playing on the left and pretty much playing a 5/8 role despite his number. I would like to him move fully into a halfback role now that he has his confidence up. In saying that Norman played his best game for us on the weekend and the combinations are growing so with only 10 rounds left we may as well keep it as is. If we can get over this bogey game and then smash the Sharks which we bloody well better do as visitors at Kogarah I honestly believe we can scrape into the 8.

Inisai Toga, Kylez3 and Dragon David like this.