What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

possm

Coach
I would like to Ben improve his bombs.
So far this season, they are easily picked off by the unopposed backline and just seems like he's giving the opposition an easy last tackle option.

Our wingers should know what he's gong to do and be up in their face / challenging ...................
McGregor should be giving him some direction.

You and just about evey SGI fan knows this, so why hasn't Mary picked up on this idea? I say both our halves need to run and run direct to the line. When they kick bombs they should vary their kicks and have their team mates chasing through to contest the ball or at a minimum put pressure on the opposition and tackle effectively.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Hunt embracing life in the background
Local Sport
r0_0_3823_2549_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FEELING AT HOME: Dragons half Ben Hunt has enjoyed going under the radar in his second season with the club. Picture: Adam McLean
WHEN Ben Hunt shifted to the Dragons on a multi-million dollar five year deal last season he remarked that he felt subject to more scrutiny in Brisbane.

It's probably something the current Brisbane crop can relate to, but the blowtorch currently being applied to the misfiring Broncos looks like a candle compared to what Hunt endured last year.

The size and length of his deal was always going to bring pressure south of the border, but Hunt admits it went well beyond what he anticipated.

It was certainly enough to change his opinion on where the greater scrutiny lay. It's made the build-up to his second season in Wollongong a refreshing change.

The ongoing Jack de Belin saga, speculation over Gareth Widdop's future and the arrival of Corey Norman have all allowed the 29-year-old to avoid the spotlight. It's something he's embraced to start 2019.

"It's something I've noticed the last week or two the pressure's getting cranked up on the Broncos and not down here on me this year," Hunt said.

"I really tried to rip in through the preseason and start the season as best I could. I've just flown under the radar and done my job.

"I'm just feeling more comfortable really. In the first year you're just trying to find your place and get a feel for your teammates and that sort of thing.

"It's my second year and I'm just feeling more comfortable. You know how guys play and what they're like off the field so you just go about your business."

There's also been plenty to like about the combination Hunt is building with former Broncos halves partner Norman, the pair combining to steer the side to two crucial one-point wins in the last fortnight.

"It's two wins we desperately needed really. If we'd lost that on the weekend we'd have been one and three and it's pretty hard to get your season going then," Hunt said.

"We put ourselves in positions to win those games and at the end we were good enough to do it some clutch plays from Normy. I always knew he was a classy player and he just always delivers on the field."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6038539/hunt-embracing-life-in-the-background/?cs=302

Warabrook saint

Juniors
You and just about evey SGI fan knows this, so why hasn't Mary picked up on this idea? I say both our halves need to run and run direct to the line. When they kick bombs they should vary their kicks and have their team mates chasing through to contest the ball or at a minimum put pressure on the opposition and tackle effectively.
When Nene was with us I saw him attack two high kicks, one he scored off the other he didn't. I didn't see him get any high kicks his way anymore.....why didn't mcgregor insist the bombs were put up to his side of the field? Because he hasn't got a clue. Nene could have scored a lot more out on his side of the field if more high kicks were put up his way

possm

Coach
When Nene was with us I saw him attack two high kicks, one he scored off the other he didn't. I didn't see him get any high kicks his way anymore.....why didn't mcgregor insist the bombs were put up to his side of the field? Because he hasn't got a clue. Nene could have scored a lot more out on his side of the field if more high kicks were put up his way

When Widdop was at 6, he had the call when ever he demanded it. However, you are absolutely right, Hunt should be putting up high bombs and Rava should be instructed to contest every one of them with the view to score a try. I'm sure he has it in him, it is just a matter of being given the instruction and practicing hard to carry this out.

FlameThrower

Bench
For me jury still out on Ben Hunt. He needs to show consistency and apart from early last year he is hot and cold. He ended last year in all sorts of dramas and I hope he can settle into his role here.
He must run the ball more often and not go into autopilot mode with 5 th tackle bomb play.

Brutalitops

Juniors
For me jury still out on Ben Hunt. He needs to show consistency and apart from early last year he is hot and cold. He ended last year in all sorts of dramas and I hope he can settle into his role here.
He must run the ball more often and not go into autopilot mode with 5 th tackle bomb play.
His poor form in the back half of last year was exaggerated. The whole team dropped off, especially the forwards. Key moment was Origin, because it tired our NSW players (who Mary would not rest) and Hunt was made a scapegoat again which mentally destroyed him

Remember the lad had to seek therapy. Coupling that with ensuring a miscarriage with his wife, and the fact he could play at all is impressive.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Let's hope that he can consistently repeat today's performance, if so we go a long way this year.

Slackboy72

Coach
I'm liking how
1 - Vaughan and Frizzell have a double act going to get 25-30 metres out of tqckles 3 & 4.
2 - Dufty chiming in to the line is making 20 metres and setting up the next tackle for Hunt and Norman to run at a retreating line.
3 - Norman is giving Lafai room to run at a line without being crowded over the sideline.

Carlton

Juniors
I'm liking how
1 - Vaughan and Frizzell have a double act going to get 25-30 metres out of tqckles 3 & 4.
2 - Dufty chiming in to the line is making 20 metres and setting up the next tackle for Hunt and Norman to run at a retreating line.
3 - Norman is giving Lafai room to run at a line without being crowded over the sideline.

Three things I like that Norman is doing are giving the ball early, sometimes giving the ball to the decoy when they run the block play instead of just going out the back every time, if nothing is on, takes on the line himself and takes the tackle. Norman's pass selection is very good.

possm

Coach
His poor form in the back half of last year was exaggerated. The whole team dropped off, especially the forwards. Key moment was Origin, because it tired our NSW players (who Mary would not rest) and Hunt was made a scapegoat again which mentally destroyed him

Remember the lad had to seek therapy. Coupling that with ensuring a miscarriage with his wife, and the fact he could play at all is impressive.
The forwards have the talent and desire to perform well however, when fatigued that all goes out the window.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I must say Mary's use of the bench seems to be improved .hard to say that. . . ....
I disagree. Mary bringing on Lucky with less then 10 minutes to go in the first half and then replacing him at halftime was very poor use of the bench.

We had the game won a long way out. It was the perfect opportunity to bring on Lomax to play centre with about 20 to go.

We also only had one middle player on the bench yesterday. I would be looking to go in with 3 middle players on the bench.

st.phil

Bench
The little terrier, always goes at the game. The combo is forming really well with Corey and Duff - like how norman straightens the attack and allows Hunt to play a lil free-er - widdop tends to crab and play ad lib, feel we are a bit more structured with this spine.

Lingering issue for this year is what happens when widdop comes back. Mary will play him 100%

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I disagree. Mary bringing on Lucky with less then 10 minutes to go in the first half and then replacing him at halftime was very poor use of the bench.

We had the game won a long way out. It was the perfect opportunity to bring on Lomax to play centre with about 20 to go.

We also only had one middle player on the bench yesterday. I would be looking to go in with 3 middle players on the bench.
Frank I didn't say it was perfect I said its improving .which obviously that's not difficult as it was abysmal previously. ... ..

Brutalitops

Juniors
The forwards have the talent and desire to perform well however, when fatigued that all goes out the window.
Yep I believe JDB, Friz and Vaughan could have done with a bit of a rest. Even if they sat out rotating weeks so that we weren't down 3 first graders at once.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I really have to say bring on 2020 .no widdop, so let's send him and his family to the old dart .give him a release now .I really believe that's the best outcome for Gareth and for THE BIG RED VVV