What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Life's Good

Coach
I’m liking the balance between him and Norman.

He’s been given the keys now Widdop”s gone and Norman just pipes in when required (like when we need a FG).

I’m guessing we’ll see the best of Hunt this year now.

Couldn't agree more. They're definitely giving each other the room to do their own thing on either side of the field. Our attack yesterday looked a lot less cluttered. They'll have their bad days but the good ones will definitely outnumber them.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Couldn't agree more. They're definitely giving each other the room to do their own thing on either side of the field. Our attack yesterday looked a lot less cluttered. They'll have their bad days but the good ones will definitely outnumber them.
I wonder if the negatives for hunt and Norman will rear their ugly head again next game we lose

Life's Good

Coach
I wonder if the negatives for hunt and Norman will rear their ugly head again next game we lose

Not from me. Hunt, I've always backed. I will admit that I was starting to feel uneasy about Norman but that could have been all manner of things(combinations, unsettled spine with Widdop, new surroundings). I'm not feeling that now.

giboz71

First Grade
Not from me. Hunt, I've always backed. I will admit that I was starting to feel uneasy about Norman but that could have been all manner of things(combinations, unsettled spine with Widdop, new surroundings). I'm not feeling that now.

100%

I mentioned elsewhere what great fundamentals Norman has, Passing, kicking and decision making. Like you, I was undecided about Norman, but that was mainly due to his off field image. He's proven to be a very smart player and cool under pressure.

As for Hunt, I knew he would come good. Other than Cronk, what half in the comp offers more? DCE maybe but no one else.

Taylor, Cleary, Brooks, Moses?? I'll take Hunt every day of the week.

Life's Good

Coach
100%

I mentioned elsewhere what great fundamentals Norman has, Passing, kicking and decision making. Like you, I was undecided about Norman, but that was mainly due to his off field image. He's proven to be a very smart player and cool under pressure.

As for Hunt, I knew he would come good. Other than Cronk, what half in the comp offers more? DCE maybe but no one else.

Hunts a champion and he has delivered far more than Milford has at Brisbane. Defensively Hunt has been good. That steal on Martin was cheeky AF but shows how much of a competitor he is.

Hunt & Norman are still developing as a combination so the upside is very positive.

GC Dragon

Juniors
100%

The key for me was Hunt playing direct and digging into the line instead of running sideways . It created so much more room for our outside backs . Norman did most of the talking and directing yesterday which really suits Hunt .
Widdop is more of a individual player and says very little on the field . I watched Norman and Hunt play 20's together at the Bronco's . Hunt was brilliant and won the 20's player of the year . All he did was run the ball , play direct and he killed it . Norman was very much the controlling half who took control of the game and it worked a treat for both of them . Lets hope that they can do the same for us in the next 3 years .
Keep playing direct and running the ball Benny ...Normy will take care of the rest .

True_Believer

Juniors
The key for me was Hunt playing direct and digging into the line instead of running sideways . It created so much more room for our outside backs . Norman did most of the talking and directing yesterday which really suits Hunt .
Widdop is more of a individual player and says very little on the field . I watched Norman and Hunt play 20's together at the Bronco's . Hunt was brilliant and won the 20's player of the year . All he did was run the ball , play direct and he killed it . Norman was very much the controlling half who took control of the game and it worked a treat for both of them . Lets hope that they can do the same for us in the next 3 years .
Keep playing direct and running the ball Benny ...Normy will take care of the rest .

I think you nailed it. Gaz has always been an off the cuff running 5/8. Hunt was bought (and told) to make the team his and control the team. This hasn't eventuated which has pretty much resulted in the team lacking direction at times and Hunt crumbling under the pressure.

With the introduction of Norman, that's freed up Hunt to play his game which works well.

I think we would have seen similar results if Norman had partnered Gaz in the halves. This is where we've failed for years - we've had one of the best 5/8s in the game without the right partner. Now we've got a combination (if they can both keep their heads in the game) that can take us forward.

Crush

Coach
Ive got a theory that Ben Hunt plays every second game well.
vs Broncos AMAZING
vs Knights RUBBISH
vs Dogs AMAZING
vs Manly ???

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Ive got a theory that Ben Hunt plays every second game well.
vs Broncos AMAZING
vs Knights RUBBISH
vs Dogs AMAZING
vs Manly ???

Not sure if it's every second game- that could be a little generous. But your point is right- he seems to have a need to make some kind of point to prove against the team in question before he''ll play well. Bennett dropped him when playing for the Broncs so that obviously would stick in his craw.
Maybe against the Bulldogs, he took the 38-0 drubbing last year as a personal insult.

This is where a good coach makes a difference and can find that motivating point- unfortunately, I doubt if Mary is smart enough to find that motivating point for Hunt- unless of course Hunt wants to play Origin- but if that's the case, why does he only fire intermittently?

Glenn012

Juniors
Norman seems to have time. Widdop always seemed rushed at 5/8. He was probably suited to be a fullback in the early part of his career. In the same mold as Coote at the Cowboys when they won the premiership but like Coote, not a good enough running game at the backend of his career. He was f**king terrible at fullback for us the first 3 games.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt impresses Maroons coach Kevin Walters in Origin audition against Daly Cherry-Evans
NRL Premiership
  • April 20, 2019 9:21pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
4a9d81a4d1fec62935dc16dd86c784b2

Ben Hunt impressed Maroons coach Kevin Walters with his kicking game against Daly Cherry-Evans' Sea Eagles.Source: FOX SPORTS
Queensland coach Kevin Walters singled Ben Hunt out for some high praise in his clash with Origin rival Daly Cherry-Evans.

Hunt had his best game of the season against the Bulldogs last week and impressed Walters with his kicking game against Manly.

“He’s been really impressive, especially with his kicking game,” Walters said at halftime.

“His short and long kicking games are obviously a great skill of his, but in recent times we have seen some wayward kicks.

“That is normal for a lot of halves, but I feel like this season he has his kicking game on song.

“He has been really good tonight and the kick selection is important, but what is more important is the result of the kick.

“He has been really good in punching those corners and when they get up close to the Manly line he looks very dangerous, so he has been really impressive.”

Fox League expert Michael Ennis backed up Walters’ sentiments in commentary.

“The thing at times with Ben Hunt’s game is he can be a little erratic, but they have clearly come up with a plan with Paul McGregor to target the left side of Manly,” Ennis said.

“They have seen some deficiencies and have kicked in behind a number of times, so it is clever play from Ben Hunt.

“His kicking game has been very good for the Dragons.”

Hunt and Cherry-Evans traded try assists in the first half in an intriguing battle, before the Manly captain broke the game open with a try in the second half to give his side the lead.

But Hunt had the last laugh setting up the match winning try for Mikaele Ravalawa in the 79th minute.

The Manly halfback is being touted as a possible Queensland captain, but Hunt has made his intentions clear that he wants to try and regain the Maroons No.7 jersey he lost after Game II last year.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/73c2dbb333ef83dfc4a0796dffb1c7d2

getsmarty

Immortal
State of Origin 2019: Hunt bracing for Blues onslaught as selection at hooker looms
Dragons Den
r0_0_5040_3547_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN THE CROSSHAIRS: Ben Hunt can expect plenty of attention from the Blues big men if selected at hooker for Queensland. Picture: NRL Photos

BEN Hunt is no stranger to unwanted attention, and Dragons teammate Paul Vaughan says he can expect plenty if he's selected in the No. 9 for Queensland on Sunday.

Vaughan is a virtual certainty to be selected for NSW while Hunt is in the same boat, though which number he wears on his back remains a mystery.

Most are tipping him to play dummy-half for the Maroons with Andrew McCullough and Jake Friend out injured and Cameron Smith keeping his feet firmly planted in retirement.

It will certainly see him tested out in the middle by the Blues big men and Vaughan said he'll be at the front of the queue.

"I'm going straight at him," Vaughan said.

"He just jumps up like a lizard. His technique in defence is questionable so if he's [number] nine and I'm 10, I'll send a little bit of traffic his way.

Hunt doesn't mind offering a few sledges of his own, sending some barbs back Vaughan's way.

"I'd love for him to run at me," Hunt said.

"The big slop in the middle, slow play-the-balls, it'll really get our sets going if he's the one bringing the ball back."

It's all tongue-in-cheek but there's certainly an element of truth to the threats. You can bet Hunt will certainly be a prime target of the NSW forwards if he does turn out for the Maroons at hooker.

It's something Hunt himself is well aware of but he's confident he can go the 80 minutes in the middle if called upon by Kevin Walters.

"You expect that when you play number nine, the big boys are going to try and find you out. I'm used to that," he said.

"In the past I don't think I'd have been able to do it but when I played all that nine at the Broncos [in 2016] - I think it was eight or 10 games - I worked my way into finding ways to stay in the game and being able to defend in the middle for 80 minutes.

"I'm pretty confident now that I can do that. I'm fit and feeling good at the moment and I feel like I can do the job. I don't even know if I'm going to be picked at nine yet so we'll see."

The 29-year-old said he's had semi-regular conversations with Walters, but said his primary focus has been on the Dragons, who are staring down the barrel of five straight losses against Cronulla on Sunday.

"We've had a few [conversations] throughout the season," he said.

"He called me a couple of weeks ago and we just had a chat about the season and the footy I've been playing, not really about Origin or anything like that.

"It was more about things he thinks I can do better and things I need to work on. I've had thoughts about [Origin] but mostly I've been focused on the Dragons.

"It's obviously been a bit tough for us of late and I've just been working really hard to get us back in the winning game again."

Read more: Dragons move past de Belin drama as McGregor wields the axe

Hunt's been forced to work overtime at different stages this season, with Gareth Widdop and Corey Norman both missing with serious injuries.

It's seen him wear the brunt of criticism for the Dragons recent run. It's something he's no stranger to, but he remains his own harshest critic.

"They are definitely big losses and the last couple of weeks there has been a little bit more pressure on myself and I don't think I've played as good as I needed to play," he said.

"Especially against the Knights, I was pretty disappointed with that first half. We got behind by a few points and I feel like I was trying to do too much and look for the wrong play rather than keeping it simple in my head and sticking to our game plan.

"That's something as halfback you've got to do. Where our team's at now I need to put my hand up and be better in those situations.

"I'm the main voice telling us where to get to on the field and what we need to be doing. I need to be better at that than I've been the last couple of weeks."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...slaught-as-selection-at-hooker-looms/?cs=3713

denis preston

First Grade
All good fun between Vaughan & Hunt but what struck me most about this article is that Walters is giving hunt advice. "It was more about things he thinks I can do better and things I need to work on"

Jesus , you would think that we have a coaching staff to perform this function ???I'd say if Hunt is accepting this advice ( and admitting it to the media ! ) than the answer is no !

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt thrives with defensive mindset
Author
Tony Webeck NRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Sun 9 Jun 2019, 08:38 AM

A singular defensive mindset not only drove Ben Hunt to play an active role in Queensland’s second-half comeback on Wednesday night but secured him the Maroons’ No.9 for the foreseeable future.

Hunt made his intentions clear with two strong defensive efforts in the opening set of the game and carried that focus through the entire 80 minutes, shooting out of the line to put shots on Blues debutant Payne Haas and climbing from the Suncorp Stadium turf following a desperate tackle on Angus Crichton in the dying seconds of the game.

All told the Dragons half made a game-high 53 tackles in Queensland’s 18-14 Game One triumph and now looks set to be become the long-term successor to legendary Maroons hooker Cameron Smith.

"I love playing in this team. Whether it's nine, seven, 14 or anywhere else I just want to be here,” Hunt told NRL.com.

"I just hope that every time I get an opportunity I can put my hand up and show the selectors that I deserve to be here. If No.9 is the spot they want me to play then I'll play it.”

When 19-year-old Haas made his Origin entry 22 minutes into the contest the sight of Hunt making a beeline for the Brisbane behemoth was the ultimate mismatch.

Conceding 15 centimetres and 31 kilograms, there was method to Hunt’s madness as he used his defensive intent to spark his own attacking performance that included a crucial 40/20 kick midway through the first half.

Match Highlights: Maroons v Blues

"I just didn't want to let him wind up too much,” Hunt said of his Haas approach. “The quicker I can get up on him the less pace he's got coming at me.

“That's how I try to approach the big boys. If I can get up before they start running too fast then I've got a better chance.

“My whole career I've felt like if I've started defending well in the game then I tend to play well in the game. That was my main focus going into it.

"I just felt like I was in the game a bit more [in the second half]. To be honest, the first half I just felt like I was tackling the whole time so I was a bit wrecked.

“I seemed to get into my groove a bit in the second half and find a bit of rhythm.”

Encouraged by coach Kevin Walters to run more in the second term, Hunt ultimately accrued 78 run metres and provided a spark from dummy-half that the likes of Cameron Munster, Daly Cherry-Evans and Kalyn Ponga then played off.

"Just run the ball Ben, that's what you're there for,” Walters said of his half-time instructions.

DCE warns partnership with Munster will only get better

"He got through the 80 minutes magnificently and everyone knows the belief that I have in Ben Hunt.

"I love him as a football player. He's tough, rugged, skilful and I thought he showed his real class in that second half.

"A couple of defensive plays that he pulled off and he got more active in the game.”

Greeted by eldest son Brady at full-time, Hunt also had two-month old baby Bowie in the stands for the first time, making his third win in his fifth Origin appearance the sweetest one thus far.

hunt-b-190605-_-jo1691.jpg

Maroons hooker Ben Hunt. :copyright:NRL Photos
"It's the best feeling in the world, to see their face after the game,” Hunt said of having his two boys and wife Bridget in the stands and in the sheds after the game.

“He's starting to understand now what it is and starts cheering, it just makes it all a little bit more enjoyable.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/09/hunt-thrives-with-defensive-mindset/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: Origin stars back on deck for Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_0_4156_3399_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor will have his full complement of Origin stars at his disposal for Monday's clash with the Bulldogs, with Ben Hunt, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell all set to back up.

The Monday fixture gave the trio a five-day recovery period, though Jai Field will be retained on the bench as cover for Hunt who punched out 80 minutes at hooker in Queensland's Origin I victory.

Sitting 13th on the ladder on the back of five straight losses amid a wider injury toll, McGregor could ill-afford to be without the trio but said the longer turnaround made the call on their availability an easier one.

"They're in really good spirits, all healthy and they'll all play," McGregor said.

"We're fortunate to have a five-day turn post-Origin, we gave them three days off so the first time they've been here is [Sunday] morning.

"This is the longest turn we've got for all the Origins. We'll be missing them for one of the games and we don't get this big a break between games for the remainder of the series.

"This is the perfect situation, if the players pull through OK, for them to play. You go in with a plan and that plan is to play the guys for the minutes we think they can get through, but we'll see the scenario in the game."

Hunt provided an emphatic answer to questions about whether he could play 80 minutes in the middle of the park for the Maroons, going the distance and playing a key role in the 18-14 win.

McGregor expects the performance to reboot his confidence after wearing a heap of flak in the Dragons five-game losing stretch.

"When you get the result [Queensland] got, and Ben being a big part of that in an unfamiliar position has to give him a lot of confidence," McGregor said.

"I thought Benny for the first 15-20 minutes he was really gassing but he pushed through that period and as the game went on he just got stronger and stronger.

"He really went to the game in the second half and was one of the better performed players on the field at nine.

"He was a bit sore two days post-game but today [Sunday] he's feeling really good. We'll carry Jai Field on the bench if Benny starts to fatigue due to the change in position but I can't see that being a problem to be honest."

A confidence boost is much needed in clubland, with the Dragons slumping to 13th on the ladder on the back their fifth consecutive loss to Cronulla a fortnight ago.

They remain just one win outside the eight but a loss to last-placed Canterbury on Monday would make a climb back into finals contention a steep climb.

McGregor said his side is not immune to the pressure but said ladder-gazing won't help them turn their campaign around with still half a season remaining.

"Every team will have it's challenges and be under pressure at different stages and certainly right now, when you lose consecutive games on the bounce, you feel that," he said.

"It's a challenge, we need to stand tall and deliver a result. We've got to remain focused on the process and work really hard towards winning games of footy.

"We've come up with some key areas we need to improve on but it's not panic stations, it's more about making sure we do everything we can to get the result we need."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6207205/origin-stars-back-on-deck-for-dragons/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Hunt thrives with defensive mindset
Author
Tony Webeck NRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Sun 9 Jun 2019, 08:38 AM

A singular defensive mindset not only drove Ben Hunt to play an active role in Queensland’s second-half comeback on Wednesday night but secured him the Maroons’ No.9 for the foreseeable future.

Hunt made his intentions clear with two strong defensive efforts in the opening set of the game and carried that focus through the entire 80 minutes, shooting out of the line to put shots on Blues debutant Payne Haas and climbing from the Suncorp Stadium turf following a desperate tackle on Angus Crichton in the dying seconds of the game.

All told the Dragons half made a game-high 53 tackles in Queensland’s 18-14 Game One triumph and now looks set to be become the long-term successor to legendary Maroons hooker Cameron Smith.

"I love playing in this team. Whether it's nine, seven, 14 or anywhere else I just want to be here,” Hunt told NRL.com.

"I just hope that every time I get an opportunity I can put my hand up and show the selectors that I deserve to be here. If No.9 is the spot they want me to play then I'll play it.”

When 19-year-old Haas made his Origin entry 22 minutes into the contest the sight of Hunt making a beeline for the Brisbane behemoth was the ultimate mismatch.

Conceding 15 centimetres and 31 kilograms, there was method to Hunt’s madness as he used his defensive intent to spark his own attacking performance that included a crucial 40/20 kick midway through the first half.

Match Highlights: Maroons v Blues

"I just didn't want to let him wind up too much,” Hunt said of his Haas approach. “The quicker I can get up on him the less pace he's got coming at me.

“That's how I try to approach the big boys. If I can get up before they start running too fast then I've got a better chance.

“My whole career I've felt like if I've started defending well in the game then I tend to play well in the game. That was my main focus going into it.

"I just felt like I was in the game a bit more [in the second half]. To be honest, the first half I just felt like I was tackling the whole time so I was a bit wrecked.

“I seemed to get into my groove a bit in the second half and find a bit of rhythm.”

Encouraged by coach Kevin Walters to run more in the second term, Hunt ultimately accrued 78 run metres and provided a spark from dummy-half that the likes of Cameron Munster, Daly Cherry-Evans and Kalyn Ponga then played off.

"Just run the ball Ben, that's what you're there for,” Walters said of his half-time instructions.

DCE warns partnership with Munster will only get better

"He got through the 80 minutes magnificently and everyone knows the belief that I have in Ben Hunt.

"I love him as a football player. He's tough, rugged, skilful and I thought he showed his real class in that second half.

"A couple of defensive plays that he pulled off and he got more active in the game.”

Greeted by eldest son Brady at full-time, Hunt also had two-month old baby Bowie in the stands for the first time, making his third win in his fifth Origin appearance the sweetest one thus far.

hunt-b-190605-_-jo1691.jpg

Maroons hooker Ben Hunt. :copyright:NRL Photos
"It's the best feeling in the world, to see their face after the game,” Hunt said of having his two boys and wife Bridget in the stands and in the sheds after the game.

“He's starting to understand now what it is and starts cheering, it just makes it all a little bit more enjoyable.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/09/hunt-thrives-with-defensive-mindset/
I must say I was very pleasantly surprise with Hunt's efforts in the Defence when playing hooker for Qld. I really did not think he had it in him, although his defence on the right has been improving over several weeks at Saints.

getsmarty

Immortal
hunt-b-190605-_-jo1692.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

The time Ben Hunt 'broke his arm and tried to cut off the plaster'
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 19 Jun 2019, 02:02 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

When Ben Hunt was 13 he tried to cut the plaster off his broken arm because he didn't want to let his teammates at St Brendan's College down.

Fast forward 16 years and Hunt has forged a reputation for the Queensland Maroons of being a team man prepared to do anything at any time.

Hunt is the regular starting halfback for the Dragons but in Origin I at Suncorp Stadium - in his first starting game as a hooker for the Maroons - he played 80 minutes, made 53 tackles and showed the toughness and resilience that has defined his career during Queensland's 18-14 win.

He is ready to do it all again at Optus Stadium on Sunday in Origin II and his old schoolboy coach Terry Hansen at St Brendan's College in Yeppoon is not surprised.

"Ben has always been a tough fella and prepared to do anything for his team," Hansen told NRL.com.

"When Hunty was 13 and in grade eight he broke his arm a week out from the grand final and he was about to cut his plaster off and play the next week but I had to put a stop to that.

Munster warns Blues: I'll only get better

"I grabbed his father and we wouldn't let him do it. I got to him first because he was meant to have it in plaster for four weeks.

"His resilience in Game One was fantastic but no surprise to me. The great thing about Ben is that as a young lad he was good at schoolboy level but then when he represented any Queensland side he had the happy knack of stepping up and handling it with ease. Nothing has changed."

The main message from all of them is that they have got the belief in me to do it

Maroons hooker Ben Hunt on his support network
As for Hunt's defensive clout in the toughest arena in the game, Hansen has a story about that too.

"Ben was always a very good defender for his size and had a really good technique," Hansen said

"We'd play teams like Keebra Park High and Palm Beach Currumbin and they always had a contingent of big Polynesian lads but Ben was never afraid to take the big boys on with no fear and get in front of them.

"I always played him in the halves but when you think about it he was probably born to be a nine."

Hunt spoke to NRL.com in Maroons camp in Perth and was unsure whether he had made 53 tackles in one match in his life before he did just that in Origin I.

"I'd have to go back and have a look at the time I spent at hooker for the Broncos. I assume I would have been close, but it definitely made the shoulder sore," Hunt said.

Napa confirms wrist fracture, but backs himself to play Origin

"That gives you a lot of belief that you can go out and do the job. Going into Game One you believe you can, but there is still that little bit of uncertainty in the back of your mind where you ask yourself 'am I going to be able to this?' and 'how hard is this going to be?'

"Looking back on the first game now I feel a lot more comfortable that I can do the job again, and probably offer a bit more."

Hunt has drawn on the advice of those he trusts, including one legendary Maroons hooker, to prepare himself to play in a position that is no longer his preferred option.

"There are a lot of people I talk to – my old man, my wife, Kevvie [Walters] and I've talked a lot to Steve Walters because he was a great hooker in his time," Hunt said.

Ponga deflects rugby chat with Cheika

"Box [Steve Walters] is massive. He is our team manager but he offers a lot more than that. He is always out talking to the players and offering his two cents worth. I just pick his brain about passing and when to run while playing hooker.

"You just take little bits from everyone you talk to and the main message from all of them is that they have got the belief in me to do it. I've just got to go out and show everyone else I can."

The driving force for Hunt remains making those who have invested so much in his development proud.

"I've always been lucky enough to love the game so much and back when I was young it was all about wanting to be out there playing with and for my mates," Hunt said.

"Now it is still about playing for my teammates but also the people that look up to you and believe in you. I want to make them proud."

Hunt's father Geoff and mum De-Ann have been rocks throughout his life and gave him a great start to his life journey while growing up in the small town of Dingo in Central Queensland.

"Dad always put the miles into me and got me working, so [in] school holidays I'd be out fencing or mustering," Hunt said.

Match: Maroons v Blues

Game 2 - Sunday 23rd June

7:50pm

Home Team

Maroons

Away Team

Blues

Venue: Optus Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
Buy Tickets
"Mum was the one that put in all the kilometres driving us to games. When you play in Central Queensland they are two-or-three-hour drives to games and we never missed one. Mum was always willing to do that. I have to give credit to both of them."

His old schoolboy coach Hansen remains a great advocate for Hunt. Whenever the Dragons star is copping heat in the media, Hansen is quick to back one of his favourite former pupils.

"Terry was my coach and my door master at boarding school and he used to get up me a bit when I deserved it, but he has always stood by my side and never been afraid to stick up for me and protect me through the years," Hunt said.

"I am very appreciative of that. He taught me a lot of lessons."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...oke-his-arm-and-tried-to-cut-off-the-plaster/

Brutalitops

Juniors
hunt-b-190605-_-jo1692.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

The time Ben Hunt 'broke his arm and tried to cut off the plaster'
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 19 Jun 2019, 02:02 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

When Ben Hunt was 13 he tried to cut the plaster off his broken arm because he didn't want to let his teammates at St Brendan's College down.

Fast forward 16 years and Hunt has forged a reputation for the Queensland Maroons of being a team man prepared to do anything at any time.

Hunt is the regular starting halfback for the Dragons but in Origin I at Suncorp Stadium - in his first starting game as a hooker for the Maroons - he played 80 minutes, made 53 tackles and showed the toughness and resilience that has defined his career during Queensland's 18-14 win.

He is ready to do it all again at Optus Stadium on Sunday in Origin II and his old schoolboy coach Terry Hansen at St Brendan's College in Yeppoon is not surprised.

"Ben has always been a tough fella and prepared to do anything for his team," Hansen told NRL.com.

"When Hunty was 13 and in grade eight he broke his arm a week out from the grand final and he was about to cut his plaster off and play the next week but I had to put a stop to that.

Munster warns Blues: I'll only get better

"I grabbed his father and we wouldn't let him do it. I got to him first because he was meant to have it in plaster for four weeks.

"His resilience in Game One was fantastic but no surprise to me. The great thing about Ben is that as a young lad he was good at schoolboy level but then when he represented any Queensland side he had the happy knack of stepping up and handling it with ease. Nothing has changed."

The main message from all of them is that they have got the belief in me to do it

Maroons hooker Ben Hunt on his support network
As for Hunt's defensive clout in the toughest arena in the game, Hansen has a story about that too.

"Ben was always a very good defender for his size and had a really good technique," Hansen said

"We'd play teams like Keebra Park High and Palm Beach Currumbin and they always had a contingent of big Polynesian lads but Ben was never afraid to take the big boys on with no fear and get in front of them.

"I always played him in the halves but when you think about it he was probably born to be a nine."

Hunt spoke to NRL.com in Maroons camp in Perth and was unsure whether he had made 53 tackles in one match in his life before he did just that in Origin I.

"I'd have to go back and have a look at the time I spent at hooker for the Broncos. I assume I would have been close, but it definitely made the shoulder sore," Hunt said.

Napa confirms wrist fracture, but backs himself to play Origin

"That gives you a lot of belief that you can go out and do the job. Going into Game One you believe you can, but there is still that little bit of uncertainty in the back of your mind where you ask yourself 'am I going to be able to this?' and 'how hard is this going to be?'

"Looking back on the first game now I feel a lot more comfortable that I can do the job again, and probably offer a bit more."

Hunt has drawn on the advice of those he trusts, including one legendary Maroons hooker, to prepare himself to play in a position that is no longer his preferred option.

"There are a lot of people I talk to – my old man, my wife, Kevvie [Walters] and I've talked a lot to Steve Walters because he was a great hooker in his time," Hunt said.

Ponga deflects rugby chat with Cheika

"Box [Steve Walters] is massive. He is our team manager but he offers a lot more than that. He is always out talking to the players and offering his two cents worth. I just pick his brain about passing and when to run while playing hooker.

"You just take little bits from everyone you talk to and the main message from all of them is that they have got the belief in me to do it. I've just got to go out and show everyone else I can."

The driving force for Hunt remains making those who have invested so much in his development proud.

"I've always been lucky enough to love the game so much and back when I was young it was all about wanting to be out there playing with and for my mates," Hunt said.

"Now it is still about playing for my teammates but also the people that look up to you and believe in you. I want to make them proud."

Hunt's father Geoff and mum De-Ann have been rocks throughout his life and gave him a great start to his life journey while growing up in the small town of Dingo in Central Queensland.

"Dad always put the miles into me and got me working, so [in] school holidays I'd be out fencing or mustering," Hunt said.

Match: Maroons v Blues

Game 2 - Sunday 23rd June

7:50pm

Home Team

Maroons

Away Team

Blues

Venue: Optus Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
Buy Tickets
"Mum was the one that put in all the kilometres driving us to games. When you play in Central Queensland they are two-or-three-hour drives to games and we never missed one. Mum was always willing to do that. I have to give credit to both of them."

His old schoolboy coach Hansen remains a great advocate for Hunt. Whenever the Dragons star is copping heat in the media, Hansen is quick to back one of his favourite former pupils.

"Terry was my coach and my door master at boarding school and he used to get up me a bit when I deserved it, but he has always stood by my side and never been afraid to stick up for me and protect me through the years," Hunt said.

"I am very appreciative of that. He taught me a lot of lessons."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...oke-his-arm-and-tried-to-cut-off-the-plaster/
This doesn't surprise me at all. Ben Hunt is a small bloke but he's tough of they come. He's always first out of the line against the biggest forwards in the league. He dived 1 on 1 at David Klemmer in Origin 1 and got him too

I always remember this tackle in the video below. This was the moment I knew we bought a good one

Old Timer

Coach
In all honesty there is some shit being written in here.
All the praise for Hunt whilst we are coming 13th with a differential of -62 is just a joke.
He is supposed to be making a difference and taking ownership as that was the reasoning behind buying him so as to relieve the pressure off Widdop.
Now people posting how good it is that Norman takes the pressure off Hunt.
FMD the apologies and excuses just keep coming and all the while we are in free fall.
Time to stop taking the meds and face up to reality everyone Hunt is an upgrade on the shit we have had previously but there is no way he is the player who will make the difference each and every week.
His best games are when others play well and not despite others playing poorly.