What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Roberts dropped to Wenty

BigErn

Juniors
Exactly! Funny how Roberts played badly when he had all the pressure dumped on him (with Sandow being dropped). He had to step it up as the chief playmaker, and overplayed his hand and did it poorly!

I think it's what most of us were saying before the season began - Roberts will be sneaky good because he won't have the pressure on him to overplay his hand - he can pick his spots and just direct traffic and use his nice long kicking game.
Was working for him early (not so hot for everyone else sadly)

His defence has been worse than embarrasing of late though. The miss on Fulton for the Tigers try was Z grade stuff.

So if I know that and you know that and 90% of the rugby league community know that, what's wrong with our coach? Absolute confidence killer. Doesn't he see that he's destroying the team with his poor man management.

No finer example than last week
You drop your star signing playmaker to help him get some confidence back. You bring him back on the bench. The score is 12-4. The stage is set. Your team is on a high. Your completion rate is 100%. Your forwards are playing out of their skin and rolling through them. Instead of bringing on sandow, he subs off mannah moi moi and Hindy. He then waits till the games put to bed. Unbelievable.

This decision kills the confidence of about 8 players. Couldn't have played that out any worse.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
The pressure was on Roberts without Sandow. Now Sandow is back (to the starting line-up) after being dropped, and the pressure is on him with Roberts not there. McGuire is ok but Sandow and Roberts should be building a combo.

Noise

Coach
So if I know that and you know that and 90% of the rugby league community know that, what's wrong with our coach? Absolute confidence killer. Doesn't he see that he's destroying the team with his poor man management.

You drop your star signing playmaker to help him get some confidence back. You bring him back on the bench. The score is 12-4. The stage is set. Your team is on a high. Your completion rate is 100%. Your forwards are playing out of their skin and rolling through them. Instead of bringing on sandow, he subs off mannah moi moi and Hindy. He then waits till the games put to bed. Unbelievable.

This decision kills the confidence of about 8 players. Couldn't have played that out any worse.

Agree 100%

His use of the bench in 2011 and 2012 is just baffling. And his man mangement skills aren't any better

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
stick the boot in!

Roberts was easily one of our best players up to the sharks game.

His performances against tigers and dogs were horrible and his individual game against tigers goes down as the worst individual performance since paul carige.

He deserves to be dropped but only to re-find the form he had earlier in the season

100%

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Two bad games for Roberts to get dropped, while Lasalo had more than a season of bad games before getting dropped.

#Equality

This points to Roberts' problems stemming from lack of confidence. That can be solved by playing against weaker opposition (ever heard of one team playing another back into form? Same principle).

Lasalo's problems stem from lack of experience mostly. He's just a dumb player. When he was our best healthy option he got to stay in first grade because what else were we going to do?

Essential players like halves need their confidence to benefit the team. Someone like Lasalo just needs to try his hardest, which he generally does. He's not likely to improve from a short stint in Wenty, whereas it could be just the thing to get Sandow or Roberts firing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well he's showing the form now that had him languishing in reserve grade last year for the Dogs. Unfortunately, all it takes at the moment is one player to be in a form slump and the rest of the players seem to fall in a heap too.

Their form is just a symptom of the real problem, which is confidence.

Players will get dropped for one of two reasons:

1. To get their confidence back

2. To replace them with a better option

If playing in Wenty won't improve their confidence, or there are no better options to bring into the team, they won't get dropped.

zipzip man

Juniors

Great point!

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have nothing against the fella, always showed promise, but in end defends like a reserve grader, hence he keeps ending up there.

Like I said many saw this coming.

Anyway Parra a great club, they will produce someone.

zipzip man

Juniors
Mate he tops our team in linebreak assists. That's the stat Hayne has led for the past couple of years.

It's partly because of Roberts that Hayne has been able to go back to running the ball.

He one stand out game for me and that was the second half against Manly. When you do one thing and then follow it up with 10 mistakes it kind of undoes the good work before hand... I'd love to see him run the ball more than pass, but he'd be a better chance if he could catch it first.

Look I'm not just on Ben's back as the whole side/club is going pretty ordinary - I hope he can come good and would love to say that I'm not disappointed in some of the schoolboy errors he makes.

Parraren

Bench

Great point!

Glad you made that point. Several of the season ticket holders sitting near us could not believe Kearney did not bring Sandow on at 12-4.

5year plan my arse. How does a coach with less than 5 years experience come up with a 5 year plan? He must be a great salesman.

zipzip man

Juniors
You'd get on well with True Eel, zipzip man.

You'd get on well with mickdo and the other minority who believes "he's been one of our best"!.

I made a point a while back that he was playing bad and got shot down. He was "apparently" a marque signing but the bloke has been playing like a 8th grade rugby player! He isn't alone I know, but he was brought in to help us where were lacking and hasn't made a dent - except as I say that second half against Manly after a shocker of a first half. Add to the knock ons and forward passes the bloke is a liability.... Just my opinion.

In saying that I'll bet someone like Bellamy could turn him into a superstar! :lol:

Suitman

Post Whore
5year plan my arse. How does a coach with less than 5 years experience come up with a 5 year plan? He must be a great salesman.

Or maybe he has been a part of one and is trying to implement it.
You don't know. I don't know either.

Another lacky. :roll:

Latest posts