What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall Assaulted

brook

First Grade
madison said:
So are they saying it happened at the Greenhouse? I come from Coffs and the Greenhouse usually closes at midnight. It wouldn't suprise me if it happened outside the Greenhouse, you never know who is roaming around that park beach area!

Would it be open longer if there was a function on? Because the article seems to be suggesting that was where the after match function for the touch footy titles were being held.

TUFF TITAN

Juniors
madison said:
So are they saying it happened at the Greenhouse? I come from Coffs and the Greenhouse usually closes at midnight. It wouldn't suprise me if it happened outside the Greenhouse, you never know who is roaming around that park beach area!
:lol: ISN'T THAT A twinkieS
HANG OUT ARE THEY SURE IT WAS OVER A GIRL;()

m0j0

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
Could quite easily be a local looking to make a name for himself though. Either way we will probably never know.

It wasn't Russell Crowe, was it? :shock:

brooksy19

Bench
So the telegraph's headline was "Benji Bashed"

but then they go on to say he never actually got hit.....

The Colonel

Immortal
Benji bashed in pub brawl
Exclusive by Dean Ritchie
March 15, 2006

INJURED Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall was punched in the head and knocked to the ground in an early morning assault at a NSW North Coast hotel yesterday.

Marshall, who is recovering from a fractured cheekbone, was in the Greenhouse Tavern at Coffs Harbour after watching his brother play in the NSW touch football titles. Marshall did not suffer any injuries.

Two eyewitnesses last night told The Daily Telegraph the incident happened shortly after midnight (AEDT).

"This guy came over and hit Benji in the face," said one of the onlookers.

"He's then ducked for cover but the bloke kept coming and hit him again with a couple of uppercuts. It happened right near the bar.

"People then jumped in. Someone had to help Benji up off the ground.

"The other guy then took off before the security guys came over."

The second witness said: "About six punches were thrown all by the one guy. Benji didn't throw one."

The Daily Telegraph understands Marshall had been talking to a female patron moments before the drama started.

The Wests Tigers initiated an investigation with Marshall and his manager Martin Tauber after being told of the incident by The Daily Telegraph.

After speaking to Marshall, chief executive Steve Noyce confirmed an incident had taken place but denied his star player had been struck in the face.

This contradicts the eye-witness versions from the two patrons.

Noyce has been told a man was evicted from the pub after the fight.

"Benji was given permission to go and watch his younger brother play in Coffs Harbour," he said.

"He was asked to attend the after-match function and wanted to do the right thing so he agreed. During the course of the evening someone was evicted from the function.

"That person thought Benji had played a role in the eviction.

"That was incorrect.

"An incident followed.

"Benji was not hurt or assaulted.

"This is an unfortunate reminder for Benji that with his popularity, even if he has done nothing wrong, people will still look to point the finger."

Noyce said it was "unfair" to claim Marshall should not have been in a pub three days after fracturing his cheekbone.

Greenhouse Tavern owner Anthony Haslam denied any fight occurred.

"There might have been a jealously carry-on thing with a girl tossing ice cubes (at Marshall)," Haslam said.

"He wasn't involved in any fight at all."

Marshall's manager Martin Tauber added: "The bloke took a swing at Benji. Benji said he wasn't stupid enough to retaliate."

The Daily Telegraph

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18469152-32463,00.html

innsaneink

Referee
The Colonel said:
Benji bashed in pub brawl
Exclusive by Dean Ritchie
March 15, 2006

INJURED Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall was punched in the head and knocked to the ground in an early morning assault at a NSW North Coast hotel yesterday.

Marshall, who is recovering from a fractured cheekbone, was in the Greenhouse Tavern at Coffs Harbour after watching his brother play in the NSW touch football titles. Marshall did not suffer any injuries.

Two eyewitnesses last night told The Daily Telegraph the incident happened shortly after midnight (AEDT).

"This guy came over and hit Benji in the face," said one of the onlookers.

"He's then ducked for cover but the bloke kept coming and hit him again with a couple of uppercuts. It happened right near the bar.

"People then jumped in. Someone had to help Benji up off the ground.

"The other guy then took off before the security guys came over."

The second witness said: "About six punches were thrown all by the one guy. Benji didn't throw one."

The Daily Telegraph understands Marshall had been talking to a female patron moments before the drama started.

The Wests Tigers initiated an investigation with Marshall and his manager Martin Tauber after being told of the incident by The Daily Telegraph.

.....and way down the end......

After speaking to Marshall, chief executive Steve Noyce confirmed an incident had taken place but denied his star player had been struck in the face.

This contradicts the eye-witness versions from the two patrons.

Noyce has been told a man was evicted from the pub after the fight.

"Benji was given permission to go and watch his younger brother play in Coffs Harbour," he said.

"He was asked to attend the after-match function and wanted to do the right thing so he agreed. During the course of the evening someone was evicted from the function.

"That person thought Benji had played a role in the eviction.

"That was incorrect.

"An incident followed.

"Benji was not hurt or assaulted.

"This is an unfortunate reminder for Benji that with his popularity, even if he has done nothing wrong, people will still look to point the finger."

Noyce said it was "unfair" to claim Marshall should not have been in a pub three days after fracturing his cheekbone.

Greenhouse Tavern owner Anthony Haslam denied any fight occurred.

"There might have been a jealously carry-on thing with a girl tossing ice cubes (at Marshall)," Haslam said.

"He wasn't involved in any fight at all."

Marshall's manager Martin Tauber added: "The bloke took a swing at Benji. Benji said he wasn't stupid enough to retaliate."

The Daily Telegraph

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18469152-32463,00.html
Ace reporter, Dean Ritchie.

Mr Saab

Referee
Because there are alot of clowns in society who make something into nothing.
A bit like chinese whispers.
A push to the ground ends up being a punch then a stabbing and then a murder.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Having met Benji personally I can say he is one of the nicest most down to earth fellas you could ever meet.

I hope the loser that attacked him got what was coming to him.

madison

Juniors
brook said:
Would it be open longer if there was a function on? Because the article seems to be suggesting that was where the after match function for the touch footy titles were being held.

I've been there at the tavern before when they have had functions in the functions area, and they have finished well before I left, but they could of stayed open longer.

Mr Saab

Referee
Benji is on radio now and has said that the whole incident was a load of BS.
I believe him.
Basically he was with a girl he knows and she was drunk and asked to leave...another guy there (the culprit) thought it was Benjis fault she was being evicted and he lashed out at Benji.
Says that he was dissapointed with the headline from the tele and whoever called the Tele has too much time on their hands.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Typical. Plays it down, everyone believes it

:roll:

Davester

Juniors
dodge said:

So i'm taking it that you completely believe....DEAN RITCHIE's article? :lol:

IF it were a Bulldogs player incident and it was "played down" as you like to all it, would YOU believe it?

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
dodge said:

dodge, ever heard of benefit of the doubt??

this whole thing is similiar to the first article about the tim smith "mass murder killing spree" incident and everyone knows now that nothing happened AT ALL, just some desperate journo looking for a "scoop"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
BlueNGoldBlood said:
dodge, ever heard of benefit of the doubt??

this whole thing is similiar to the first article about the tim smith "mass murder killing spree" incident and everyone knows now that nothing happened AT ALL, just some desperate journo looking for a "scoop"

So because I wasn't there, I'm to assume nothing happened?

Were you at Coffs in February 2004? Why should you assume a Canterbury player raped someone?

Wanker.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
dodge said:
So because I wasn't there, I'm to assume nothing happened?

Were you at Coffs in February 2004? Why should you assume a Canterbury player raped someone?

Wanker.

:lol: so let me get this straight dodge, you instantly declared the bullscums, YOUR beloved team who has never ever done wrong, GUILTY of all crimes in 04 and in ANY other circumstance EVER?

everyone gave your team the benefit of the doubt even if they were guilty or not, you should know by now not to believe in every article, even if it is written by the tooth fairy

wanker

Ghoulies

Bench
Grow up, dodge. The moment a poster mentions the Dogs' rape scandal your lot are up in arms screaming "innocent 'til proven guilty", yet you're here having a sook because we're applying that principle to Benji.