What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

El Diablo

Post Whore
The bloke had a cut lip...

If it was Joe Public who supposedly hit the bloke, do you think the Police would have arrested anyone over the case, let alone brought it to trial?

why are people always accusing poor old Joe Public?

he's a really nice bloke once you get to know him

Danish

Referee
The bloke had a cut lip...

If it was Joe Public who supposedly hit the bloke, do you think the Police would have arrested anyone over the case, let alone brought it to trial?

If they could locate them to make the arrest, then yes. They are bound by law to do so.

the only difference between this case and one with a nobody is that the nobody likely could have just walked away like Marshall did after fending the bloke and not had cops find him the next day. However, once charged Marshall had a clear advantage over the general public with his $10K/hr defence lawyer and various celebrities popping in as character witnesses.

I look forward to the next Marshall assault case. They seem to pop up every 18-24 months.... never his fault though as its not his go :sarcasm:

NrlCoach

Juniors
it's not his fault it happened there

ronaldmcdonaldjumping1.jpg

poor guy just cooks burgers

130534017157.jpg

:lol::lol:

BuffaloRules

Coach
If they could locate them to make the arrest, then yes. They are bound by law to do so.

the only difference between this case and one with a nobody is that the nobody likely could have just walked away like Marshall did after fending the bloke and not had cops find him the next day. However, once charged Marshall had a clear advantage over the general public with his $10K/hr defence lawyer and various celebrities popping in as character witnesses.

I seriously doubt that the police would have brought the matter to trial even if they had identified the other party based on the hear say evidence that the police presented in court...

The magistrate has said that there is no evidence that Marshall caused the fat lip in question...

Last edited:

juro

Bench
I thought it was that Marshall palmed him off and then the other guy punched him, causing the split lip.

Danish

Referee
Not exactly sure whats funny about that transcript. Reads like any 000 call I'd imagine, especially one made in the middle of the city with the amount of noise going on around that end of town.

Danish

Referee
I would guess like most people he didn't know the number of the local cop shop off by heart. Should have just dialled information but the 000 operator didn't seem to mind taking the call.

Personally If I'd just been fended in the face by one bloke and punched by another I wouldn't think twice about reporting it to the police if I thought they had a chance of locating them.

Either way it reads like a pretty normal conversation. The 000 operator obviously recognised the name given they led him with a description and immediately refered to him as Benji

Sounds like he's completely hammered there.

The winners were the law firms involved in this fiasco and of course the media organizations that get circulation and ratings. As for Benji, their is always a little mud that sticks even when your proven innocent and that will be something he will have to carry for a while. The police, they have just cost the tax player plenty and now look a little foolish but they do have a duty to carry out and as for the bloke with a fat lip, he was a star for a day or so and now should slip back under the rock he came from

Or someone should drop it on him.

Honestly, the guy mouths off at Benji, Benji jabs him and cuts his lip, he calls 000 (like it's a f**king emergency) and reports it. Who comes out of it looking like the biggest douchebag?

juro

Bench
How hard is it to walk a few hundred metres to get to the police station down at the rocks? Like he wouldn't know where to go. He wasn't badly injured. Why bother calling an emergency number?

Billythekid

First Grade

the only difference between this case and one with a nobody is that the nobody likely could have just walked away like Marshall did after fending the bloke and not had cops find him the next day.

Are you for real? You honestly think every single time someone takes a punch to the face the police and/or courts get involved?

Either your just being deliberately obtuse just to troll or you have led a very sheltered life.

If you're out late at night drunk and call the cops to complain that someone gave you a split lip there is very little chance anything will get done (especially if there are witnesses that can attest that you were being a knob). Otherwise you would need thousands of police just to handle these complaints every weekend.

MacDougall

First Grade
The moron provoked a professional athlete that plays one of the toughest games in the world. The fact that anyone expects anything less than a punch in the mouth after giving an NRL player lip is astonishing. Imagine if he had have mouthed off to Les Boyd, Ray Price or Tommy Raudonikis? There really should be a specific law against provoking or shit stirring celebrities imo.

Loudstrat

Coach
Exactly -he rings 000 in shock after delivering a gobful. What did the hero expect? Does he randomly go out and give people a mouthful, and wonder why he cops some back?

And Danish, 000 is for emergencies. It isnt there as a directories assistance for f*ckwits. He's never head of 1223?

badav

Bench
I agree that this is a nothing incident and shouldn't have made it to court but has anyone thought about Marshall's defense?

To me it seems as credible as Greg Birds Brent Watson defense. A man of Sri Lankan origin, who is with his Sri Lankan mates both darker than Benji, calls Benji, a kiwi - a black merkin? Is anyone dumb enough to believe that actually happened.

Perth Red

Post Whore
After seeing Indians racially abuse Pakistanis, yep!

As said they need to change the law, if you gob off to another bloke for no good reason then he has every right to smack you in the mouth. The law is an ass!

dogslife

Coach
Harbhajan calling Symonds a monkey springs to mind. Always thought that was a bit rich seeing as though Harbhajan is the one that looks like he hasn't quite fully evolved