What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

El Diablo

Post Whore
I agree that this is a nothing incident and shouldn't have made it to court but has anyone thought about Marshall's defense?

To me it seems as credible as Greg Birds Brent Watson defense. A man of Sri Lankan origin, who is with his Sri Lankan mates both darker than Benji, calls Benji, a kiwi - a black merkin? Is anyone dumb enough to believe that actually happened.

f**k penrith ya merkins f**k off fibroman you f**king drunk merkin

merkin

Do you even know what a merkin is

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think badav needs to grow some and learn how to fight if he is going to be calling blokes out!

Usain Bolt

Bench
Benji should be charged just for wearing those shit glasses and sporting the child of Brian Wilsons beard on his face to court

juro

Bench
What was it that the prosecution asked Marshall? Something like "Isn't it your job to hurt people?"... Is this supposed to be a serious question? Or is he just trying to throw Marshall off balance?

thorson1987

Coach
What was it that the prosecution asked Marshall? Something like "Isn't it your job to hurt people?"... Is this supposed to be a serious question? Or is he just trying to throw Marshall off balance?

Loved his answer though.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-the-witness-box/story-e6frexnr-1226121651922

DID you see Benji Marshall against the Eels on Sunday, bobbing and weaving like a cork in the ocean to score that try before half-time?

You need a heady mix of supreme self-confidence and arrogance to do something like that.

The same is required if you are sitting in the witness box at Downing Centre Local Court, as the defendant in an assault case, for an indictable offence that could land you in the Big House, yet you still have the stones to roll out a smart-arse line.

"Is it your job to be physical and to go out on the field to hurt people?" Police prosecutor Sgt Rick Mansley asked the Wests Tigers five-eighth.
The quick-draw reply: "No, it's my job to make the outside backs look good." Kaboom!

While the remark cracked up most of the courtroom it is exactly that type of smugness that polarises opinion when it comes to Benjamin Quentin Marshall.

gronkathon

First Grade
It's amazing what the Telegraph can drudge up when they want to hack on a player. Especially a player who works for a rival newspaper.

I thought Marshalls answer was a very smart way of disarming the question. For a start the prosecutor is silly enough to assert that a 5/8's job is to hurt other people. Most likely delivered in the typical manner of a police prosecutor, not an actual lawyer but a cop who went to night school and did law school light, being aggresive and trying to get a rushed answer. Instead Marshalls reply was disarming and the fact that the gallery laughed would serve only to make the prosecutor look like a fool.

Anyway versict delivered, Telegraph upset it has nothing to run the game into the ground about before the finals because his case was dismissed and Carney has been given until after the season for a decision to be made.

Look for an expose on the culture of league about Taumata on the back page Friday and in the article an attempt to put it at the feet of Gould

typicalfan

Coach
The prosecutor deserved it. Trying to draw a bow between a player using physicality on the football field to being out in public is begging to be shot down. I probably wouldn't have had the guts to say that but Benji is what he is.

Got to laugh at the Tele trying to pin the league down any way possible.

Because he wasn't Benji Marshall..

Stupid case....shouldn't of even got to court...

I am still amazed that with no video evidence that Benji hit the guy, conflicting witness accounts and very minor if any damage to the alledge victim that the DPP even went ahead with the case and wasted the courts time. The matter should have been thrown out well before it ever got to court.

Red Bear

Referee
They're just a terrible journalistic organisation, the old telegraph.

Nothing much sums them up better than Alan Jones getting fired from the Herald when he made some predictions, without acknowledging his source, based on a work of fiction, and then getting signed up by the Telecrap. No standards at all at that rag