What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall ?

jenninga

First Grade
I think he is worth the punt, will generate a large amount of interest, plus if he does play even close to his potential then he will be the perfect foil for Widdop at 7.

The failure to make a success at Union hopefully has reignited a desire to be succcessful and taught humility.

This sums up the plus side for signing Benji.

possm

Coach
Benji was a big part of why Sheens got punted right? Love to know how you figure this one possm

The Tigers Board and administration were and still are divided and at each others throats. They even brought senior players into the squabble. My understanding is that Sheens stood up for Benji causing himself to become offside with members of the administration.

I believe there is no problems between Benji and Sheens however, if you don't believe my take on this, why not ask St Benji and/or the soon to become St Tim.

Sheens has done a fine job with the Australian team and has had the confidence of the Australian players and the ARL for quite some time now.

Surely, anything would have to be an improvement on what we have now.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The Tigers Board and administration were and still are divided and at each others throats. They even brought senior players into the squabble. My understanding is that Sheens stood up for Benji causing himself to become offside with members of the administration.

I believe there is no problems between Benji and Sheens however, if you don't believe my take on this, why not ask St Benji and/or the soon to become St Tim.

Sheens has done a fine job with the Australian team and has had the confidence of the Australian players and the ARL for quite some time now.

Surely, anything would have to be an improvement on what we have now.

Even you or Bunniesgimp could coach an Australian team to victory.

St Tim....vomit

jenninga

First Grade
If that's true then why isn't he playing 1st grade, I could put up with the odd missed tackle if he provided go- forward like that!

Ask the coach,instead we have 3 lightweight forwards on the bench,noone to come on and inspire the team with massive hit ups.
Last night every time Moa got the ball he just went wham,Aillomai does the same.

Juniors
wonder what widdop thinks of all this and yes lets forget bm and throw some coin at moa

FlameThrower

Bench
Ask the coach,instead we have 3 lightweight forwards on the bench,noone to come on and inspire the team with massive hit ups.
Last night every time Moa got the ball he just went wham,Aillomai does the same.

I,ll keep saying this till I'm red in the face, it's not size it's attitude... Matt Scott 105 k, Moa is 105 kg, our boys-are 103- 105kg it's not kilos....it's what in the tank with grit,attitude, aggression.. and we lack it up front. If Moa is on market, then snap him up...FFS, he is about 27 years old, he is in his prime agewise for forward...would serve us we'll for at least next 3 or 4 seasons...

Mr Red

First Grade
I,ll keep saying this till I'm red in the face, it's not size it's attitude... Matt Scott 105 k, Moa is 105 kg, our boys-are 103- 105kg it's not kilos....it's what in the tank with grit,attitude, aggression.. and we lack it up front. If Moa is on market, then snap him up...FFS, he is about 27 years old, he is in his prime agewise for forward...would serve us we'll for at least next 3 or 4 seasons...

Agree 100% saying our 103kg - 104kg forwards are too light and then saying a 105kg player is the answer is just stupid.
It's not the weight or size of the forwards that's the issue, it's they simply aren't naturally aggressive or intimidating players..

Cagey Mac

Bench
Speed of service and organisational skills from DH is also critical.
I reckon this is not beyond Rein but he needs development.

Redvpassion

Juniors
Below is extract from The Australian, very good read, and there is a stack at play with this....read on.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-benji-marshall/story-fnca0von-1226903911919#

THIS is about more than Benji Marshall. So much more. It?s about Steve Price?s future as a coach. It?s about Peter Doust?s tenure as chief executive. It?s about finding a way to put some pride back in the red V.

Marshall may ultimately decide everyone?s fate, not just his own.

Once the game?s most prized asset, his imminent return has taken on added significance in southern Sydney, given it has pitted two clubs against each other.

The Dragons have formally tabled an offer to Marshall. So has Cronulla, the two neighbouring clubs at war over the signature of a player once regarded as one of the best in the game.

Marshall?s lustre has dimmed ? his stint in rugby union continuing a difficult 12-month period in which his form dipped considerably ? but he remains a prized asset in the eyes of some clubs.

The lure isn?t so much what he has produced in recent years, more the performances that form part of our fading memories. The step and the flick pass are indelibly etched in our minds.

Marshall will continue to draw people through the gates. He remains a corporate wunderkind. Clearly, those qualities continue to resonate at the Dragons, to the point where the club is willing to outlay a slab of cash to add him to their roster.

Price is willing to take a punt on Marshall and his career is likely to hang on the outcome. The Dragons coach is off contract at the end of the season and the club is yet to announce whether he will earn an extension.

He has seemingly been balancing on a precipice since being appointed to replace Wayne Bennett in 2012. Had the club convinced Craig Bellamy to move to Wollongong, Price would already be out of a job.

Instead, he remains at the helm, for this season at least. After starting the year with three straight wins, results have been mixed since.

The only certainty is that uncertainty will continue while results are unconvincing.

Chances are, Price will rely on results in coming weeks to determine whether he is still in charge next season. Marshall therefore stands to be a pivotal figure. If he can rediscover his former glory, the Dragons will win their fair share of games and Price will earn himself an extension.

If the move backfires, the ramifications may well extend beyond the coach. Chief executive Peter Doust spent yesterday at a lunch organised by NSW Rugby League chief executive David Trodden to mark the departure of Shane Mattiske from the NRL.

He sat next to, of all people, Cronulla chief executive Steve Noyce. Their fellow chief executives had fun at their expense.

Yet it will be no laughing matter if the Marshall move backfires.

Doust has enjoyed a tumultuous time with Dragons fans ? ?Oust Doust? signs have been commonplace on the hills at Kogarah and WIN Stadium.

Should Marshall fail to ignite the Dragons backline, and the club struggles as a result, Doust will no doubt be in the crosshairs. Change may be in the wind.

There is much to win ? and lose ? over the next 48 hours. Not just for Marshall.
Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Music to my ears, yes Price is also to blame in alot of ways for team displays on field, but all this of field crap of takin our home games away and the lack of signing players that we need like forwards and team manager should all fall on Doust.

I can also tell you if things dont improve, another banner will be unleashed.

So to Doust, do what you must to make this once powerfull club powerfull again or face the music much louder this time. Signing marshal is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good to see but will it change anything highly doubtful the possible signing of Marshall is just a front for the real issue's the club has its not the mighty Red V anymore its just a mear shadow of its former self.

saint.nick

Coach
Maybe it's not our physical size actually. I''ve been thinking that, but I think other forwards in other teams make themselves seem bigger by just being more aggressive. It kind of makes the opposition forget you're smaller than you make yourself out to be. We aren't being helped with soft players like Hunt.

Again singling out one player instead of questioning the entire forward pack that seems to be the way of the Dragon fan these days.

You can forgive some of the younger guys who are still learning the ins and outs of first grade but Hunt isn't the only one not doing enough yet he is the easy scape goat because Doust made some idiot comment about being a marquee signing.

Other than Creagh who imo is really puting in a good shift each week every other forward have let the team down every single week but for some odd reason one of two players cop all the blame.

saint.nick

Coach
And singling players out is not exclusive to dragons fans, that's a ridiculous notion. Tigers fans singled Benji out, Dogs fans singled Barba out, and etc etc. Fans of all clubs of all sports do it. One general perception of dragons fans from the outside in though (and that has some truth in it) is that we are a bloody pessimistic bunch.

Did I say it wasn't don't think I did or even eluded to it sure Hunt isn't the same player he once was but be honest he's not the only one who is far from his best the entire team needs a good wake up call but when you have a coach who imo has no backbone it will show up in the players.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Agree 100% saying our 103kg - 104kg forwards are too light and then saying a 105kg player is the answer is just stupid.
It's not the weight or size of the forwards that's the issue, it's they simply aren't naturally aggressive or intimidating players..

Exactly!