What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall ?

Sure paying a rumoured 1.1m on a has been makes perfect sense I may not know all the facts but sorry to say thats absurd.

mmap dragons

Juniors
On a side note, Just watched the first half of the test match. Sam Moa would have to be about the best forward on the park. Still off contract & would come at a good price as well one would think. Is there a better front rower left on the market?

bhabs

Juniors
Sure paying a rumoured 1.1m on a has been makes perfect sense I may not know all the facts but sorry to say thats absurd.
It's 1.1 for the 2.5 years mate, considering he will be on 100-200k this season it leaves him to be on 400-500k a season and I'm sure some of it would be tpa. it's not that bad considering he was going to resign for the tigers for 800-900k, we would have him for half his initial price

bhabs

Juniors
Like honestly no team will get benji from next year on a salary of 200-300k, he was always going to be on descent coin even though he hasn't played well the last two years

Como Connection

First Grade
Rumour on JA saying players have been told by staff that he's signed with us.
Take it for what it's worth.

Sounds good to me, go Benji.
I can now go to bed relaxed and will not lose at the races tomorrow as I am not having a bet, (at this stage).
Thank you pal.

The Rosco

Bench
Like honestly no team will get benji from next year on a salary of 200-300k, he was always going to be on descent coin even though he hasn't played well the last two years

His talent, coin, contribution, team respect, value and general worth have all been on the descent over the last few years.
Well spotted.
Please God, in your infinite wisdom allow this deal to proceed unhindered. Amen.

Play him as an organising half, and take everyone by surprise;-)

And for good old GKD . . . . . Radrada

Dea

Juniors
Just heard, Benji has signed! Oh wait, it's the misses talking in her sleep

St Georgio

Juniors
The coin doesn't matter, I am on $48000 a year..51% goes to paying for army fighter jets..Benji is a game breaker, X factor...pay him 20 million who cares.

Dakink

Bench
I think he is worth the punt, will generate a large amount of interest, plus if he does play even close to his potential then he will be the perfect foil for Widdop at 7.

The failure to make a success at Union hopefully has reignited a desire to be succcessful and taught humility.

FlameThrower

Bench
Look Dragons don't have a media darling, The Media loves Benji, kids love Benji, he would bring on PR to the Club and free promotion to our sponsors..he would be on Ch9, every week....it's got to be a win, he is the x-factor we seem to be lacking, knows how to pass the ball and still has speed...Tigers were going to pay him $800k per season, we offer 1.2 over 2.5 years sounds like a smart deal...if u factor in all the "add on" he will bring....could be a master stroke.

Saintsified

Bench
Would people rather we sign a inform superstar for big coin or an out of form superstar for less coin and has a point to prove?

FlameThrower

Bench
Below is extract from The Australian, very good read, and there is a stack at play with this....read on.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-benji-marshall/story-fnca0von-1226903911919#

THIS is about more than Benji Marshall. So much more. It’s about Steve Price’s future as a coach. It’s about Peter Doust’s tenure as chief executive. It’s about finding a way to put some pride back in the red V.

Marshall may ultimately decide everyone’s fate, not just his own.

Once the game’s most prized asset, his imminent return has taken on added significance in southern Sydney, given it has pitted two clubs against each other.

The Dragons have formally tabled an offer to Marshall. So has Cronulla, the two neighbouring clubs at war over the signature of a player once regarded as one of the best in the game.

Marshall’s lustre has dimmed — his stint in rugby union continuing a difficult 12-month period in which his form dipped considerably — but he remains a prized asset in the eyes of some clubs.

The lure isn’t so much what he has produced in recent years, more the performances that form part of our fading memories. The step and the flick pass are indelibly etched in our minds.

Marshall will continue to draw people through the gates. He remains a corporate wunderkind. Clearly, those qualities continue to resonate at the Dragons, to the point where the club is willing to outlay a slab of cash to add him to their roster.

Price is willing to take a punt on Marshall and his career is likely to hang on the outcome. The Dragons coach is off contract at the end of the season and the club is yet to announce whether he will earn an extension.

He has seemingly been balancing on a precipice since being appointed to replace Wayne Bennett in 2012. Had the club convinced Craig Bellamy to move to Wollongong, Price would already be out of a job.

Instead, he remains at the helm, for this season at least. After starting the year with three straight wins, results have been mixed since.

The only certainty is that uncertainty will continue while results are unconvincing.

Chances are, Price will rely on results in coming weeks to determine whether he is still in charge next season. Marshall therefore stands to be a pivotal figure. If he can rediscover his former glory, the Dragons will win their fair share of games and Price will earn himself an extension.

If the move backfires, the ramifications may well extend beyond the coach. Chief executive Peter Doust spent yesterday at a lunch organised by NSW Rugby League chief executive David Trodden to mark the departure of Shane Mattiske from the NRL.

He sat next to, of all people, Cronulla chief executive Steve Noyce. Their fellow chief executives had fun at their expense.

Yet it will be no laughing matter if the Marshall move backfires.

Doust has enjoyed a tumultuous time with Dragons fans — “Oust Doust” signs have been commonplace on the hills at Kogarah and WIN Stadium.

Should Marshall fail to ignite the Dragons backline, and the club struggles as a result, Doust will no doubt be in the crosshairs. Change may be in the wind.

There is much to win — and lose — over the next 48 hours. Not just for Marshall.
Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Here we go!!
Benji >>>>>> Sheens >>>>>> Big Mongrel Prop

How the f*@# do you interpret that having anything to do with Sheens?
We want a quality coach, not a hasbeen, devisive muppet.
Go ask a Tigers supporter about Sheens :crazy:

jenninga

First Grade
DR, I tend to agree.
On both counts.
I dont doubt Benji has talent, but is he a good fit?
Sheens apparently couldnt control his influence (rumours), but if true what will Price do?
Im a bad gambler, I say he is going to the Sharks... which probably means he will be playing half for us next week. :sarcasm:

He won a comp with Sheens and the squad had a great spirit at the time.Soward won a comp with us and fell out with the coach ,after fart assing for 18 months with us ,Soward is happy now playing good footy.
Why wouldn't this be the case with Benji,he should be hungry to prove himself again.

jenninga

First Grade
On a side note, Just watched the first half of the test match. Sam Moa would have to be about the best forward on the park. Still off contract & would come at a good price as well one would think. Is there a better front rower left on the market?

Aillomai plays a similar way to Moa,just needs to be unleashed.

Latest posts