What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

Loudstrat

Coach
Look, on the face of it, I see no problem with a player, in the off season, with the blessing of his club and the code - doing a stint to top[ up his salary.

Players such as Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling, mal Meninga, etc played many an off season with English clubs when they had a winter comp. Cricketers do it with IPL.

The difference with Benji is this:
1) Different sport. The transfer would not be covered, or differences resolved, under a single controlling body. We saw how the IRB treated NRL complaints about SBW' broken contract when he went to France.
2) Marshall's contract, from what I can tell, does not fit neatly into the off season. I refer again to eddie Jone's observation that the Japanese would want him before June 30. There is also the 4 nations for New Zealand. YThese must take priority. No player welched on a Kangaroo tour to play for a UK League club. Some players had to stand down from playing if they declined a spot on a tour - some were forced to go. I remember players could only 'retire' from rep footy after they had given lengthy service. Mick Cronin, after 22 tests, was only then allowed to retire, even though he had a family business to run.

Many players wait until later in their career to earn the big $. By allowing players that option mid-career, we set a precedent that we cannot hope to close of the flood gates open. And as we saw in the IPL, they can.

shiznit

Coach
Look, on the face of it, I see no problem with a player, in the off season, with the blessing of his club and the code - doing a stint to top[ up his salary.

Players such as Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling, mal Meninga, etc played many an off season with English clubs when they had a winter comp. Cricketers do it with IPL.

1) Different sport. The transfer would not be covered, or differences resolved, under a single controlling body. We saw how the IRB treated NRL complaints about SBW' broken contract when he went to France.
2) Marshall's contract, from what I can tell, does not fit neatly into the off season. I refer again to eddie Jone's observation that the Japanese would want him before June 30. There is also the 4 nations for New Zealand. YThese must take priority. No player welched on a Kangaroo tour to play for a UK League club. Some players had to stand down from playing if they declined a spot on a tour - some were forced to go. I remember players could only 'retire' from rep footy after they had given lengthy service. Mick Cronin, after 22 tests, was only then allowed to retire, even though he had a family business to run.

Many players wait until later in their career to earn the big $. By allowing players that option mid-career, we set a precedent that we cannot hope to close of the flood gates open. And as we saw in the IPL, they can.
i dont get where your coming from... who are the NRL to dictate to a free agent who's finished up his NRL contract.

hes taking the risk... if he gets injured playing in Japan he wont be signed by anyone...

adamkungl

Immortal
If its between contracts im fairly sure there is no way to stop him, nor should there be. From the WTs point of view, they have no obligation to resign him when he gets back. Say he signs a contract for 2 months with japanese rugby, gets injured a month and a half in. Tigers havn't signed him yet...he's pretty much up sh*t creek. Make this clear to him, then let him go.

If he IS contracted, he should not be allowed to play anywhere else. I'm sure off-season training is considered part of a player's "job".

Charlie124

First Grade
i dont get where your coming from... who are the NRL to dictate to a free agent who's finished up his NRL contract.

hes taking the risk... if he gets injured playing in Japan he wont be signed by anyone...

But he won't be by June 30, which is when he would have to be signed to the Japanese Rugby team if he was to play for them.

ozbash

Referee

changed your tune,, again ?

If its between contracts im fairly sure there is no way to stop him, nor should there be. From the WTs point of view, they have no obligation to resign him when he gets back. Say he signs a contract for 2 months with japanese rugby, gets injured a month and a half in. Tigers havn't signed him yet...he's pretty much up sh*t creek. Make this clear to him, then let him go.

If he IS contracted, he should not be allowed to play anywhere else. I'm sure off-season training is considered part of a player's "job".

I agree, if his shoulder goes again whilst his over there, I hope we tell him to find a new home.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Coke employees don't have a salary cap. They get paid what they are worth, or they leave. This analogy is trash.

A better analogy would be having a part-time job after your usual work.

Yes, it means less time off and it takes its toll on your body, but if your current job doesn't pay enough, why should they stop you from picking up extra work somewhere else?

Gallop is a d*ckhead.

Yes but I can gaurantee that your current employer would have it written into any work agreement that you have signed that you are not able to work for any of their competitors while under their employ, part time or not.

There is no way in the world that an emplyee in an ANZ call centre would have a part time job with Comm Bank for example.

Union is a competitor with League mate

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Yes but I can gaurantee that your current employer would have it written into any work agreement that you have signed that you are not able to work for any of their competitors while under their employ, part time or not.

There is no way in the world that an emplyee in an ANZ call centre would have a part time job with Comm Bank for example.

Union is a competitor with League mate

Those that are arguing to let Benji go play Onion, keep reading the last line again and again until you understand this simple concept.

If Benji wants to play in Japan, then he can go.

if he goes, Gallop should grow some balls and ban the pharker from ever coming back. If Asotasi, Sutton, Wing or any Souths player did the same, then they can f**k off too.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25084307-5003409,00.html

Eddie Jones behind Japanese bids for Benji Marshall

Iain Payten | February 21, 2009 12:00am

FORMER Wallabies coach Eddie Jones is the driving force behind one of two major Japanese rugby clubs bidding for the services of Benji Marshall. After months of speculation about the veracity of the Wests Tigers rugby league five-eighth's switch to Japanese rugby, The Courier-Mail can reveal powerhouse clubs Suntory and Sanyo are the clubs vying for the signature of the star.

Courier-Mail columnist Jones is a long-time technical adviser with Suntory, and is believed to have been working behind the scenes to get Marshall to the Top League club next summer.

The cashed-up Sanyo Wild Knights are also understood to be negotiating with a Japanese agent hired by Marshall's camp but no deals have yet been struck.

The Ota City-based club are seeking a replacement for former All Black five-eighth Tony Brown, who has retired after complications from a ruptured spleen.

Though suggestions exist Marshall could land a contract for $1 million for a summer season comprising between 14-18 games, sources in Japan say that money is excessive in the present economic climate.

But favourable exchange rates and the Japanese tax system could still see Marshall earn more than $500,000, and only have to play as little as 40 minutes a week.

Jones is known to be a big fan of Marshall, having followed his NRL career closely.

His influence at Suntory Sungoliath is potentially starting to wane, however, following Jones's role in bringing former Wallabies captain George Gregan to the club on a two-year deal. Gregan has reportedly been in underwhelming form for the Tokyo giant.

The revelations about Marshall came as former Wallabies prop Ben Darwin - who is assistant coach at top Japanese club NTT - spelt out the wider threat of Japanese rugby to both Australian footy codes.

Darwin believes NRL stars could be "hugely successful" in Japanese rugby, where big salaries can be earned for as little as half-an-hour game time a week.

Up to 30 professional rugby clubs are in the market for foreign stars and as many as 15 who could afford a near seven-figure deal for a star like Marshall, according to Darwin. Though these highly paid stars are usually rugby players, Darwin believes NRL players could become targets.

"The thing about Japanese rugby is that while body shapes are increasing in size they are still not the same kind of size in terms of shape as foreigners would be, from Super 14 or rugby league,"

Darwin told The Courier-Mail from Japan. "What there is is a lot of broken play, so guys get opportunities for one-on-ones and there's a lot of counter-attack.

"It is not as structured as European-style rugby would be, so I reckon rugby league players would be hugely successful."

just f**k off to Japan with your yawnion mate. scab

Loudstrat

Coach
changed your tune,, again ?

Nope same tune. Same words. "Ozbash is a Kiwi f*cktard" to the tune of "War Pigs"

"Ozbash gathered in the paddoooooooooooock
All the sheep are in a paniiiiiiiiiiic
Got the sheep dip laced with eccyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
Got the tube of KY Jellyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"

ozbash

Referee
:lol:
oh, ok.
maybe you should give the ecccyyys a rest.
remember this,

If someone was 24, or as he is now, 23, and doesn't understand what a countract is, or doesn't understand why you can't get everything your own way, he needs help urgently.

or even this

Selfish twat. Would have looked a complete twat if Pat Richards didn't back up your stupid pass on 05 anyway.

and then loudmouth, this pearler

F*ck off Benji - and take your glass shoulders with you.

but, wait,, after getting slapped around the forum as a result of the hyserical sh*t he has been spewing, ol stratty finally concedes,,

you dickhead, make up your mind.. :lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
Lol at Ozbash :lol:. Forgets I was referring to the old off season stint at a Pommy club. Too many words into the post I guess.

I lived in Japan for a year
Yeah, the Japanese are really into Rugby.
NOT!

Ha ha ha ... I wouldn't even know Rugby existed if I was Japanese
They are all about baseball and soccer

Parra

Referee

It's pretty much a free-for-all in Bangalore.

Not only would the banks not complain, it's probably the same bloke already answering the phone for both of them.

Tommax25

Bench
The biggest issue I have is Gallop saying Japanese rugby is a competitor..it is a standard lower than club rugby in NSW..it is basically a little more than touch footy. I think the NRL needs to wake up and be realistic, you either relax the rules with unlimited 3rd party deals or you let the players go to short term deals overseas. If you don't we will lose more players than Gallop thinks. I do think that each player that goes should be set a base contract by the NRL..so in other words if Benji is valued at $400,000 per year then the Tigers MUST pay 400K under the cap and no less. You either do that or you allow 3rd party deals with no restrictions.

I thought along these lines as well. Figure out what his market price is, maybe 300K, and as long as he meets this minimum it doesnt matter what his contract is.

Im fine with him going to japanese rugby as I dont think thats giving a rival to the nrl an advantage as they are not the nrls rivals. I would have a massive problem with him going to the waratahs for as month before the nrl starts. I think he should be allowed to go and come back freely, as long as the minimum market value thing is included in proceedings, and this is the same for every player.

Charlie124

First Grade
I thought along these lines as well. Figure out what his market price is, maybe 300K, and as long as he meets this minimum it doesnt matter what his contract is.

Im fine with him going to japanese rugby as I dont think thats giving a rival to the nrl an advantage as they are not the nrls rivals. I would have a massive problem with him going to the waratahs for as month before the nrl starts. I think he should be allowed to go and come back freely, as long as the minimum market value thing is included in proceedings, and this is the same for every player.

Rugby Union is THE direct rival of Rugby League, it doesnt matter if the quality of their competition is top level or complete rubbish. The sport itself is the competition, thats the point.

Parra

Referee
Rugby Union is THE direct rival of Rugby League, it doesnt matter if the quality of their competition is top level or complete rubbish. The sport itself is the competition, thats the point.

It's a bullsh*t point. Japanese rugby is less of a threat to the NRL than working part time in a Sushi bar in the off season. This whole one code vs the other is manufactured so emo cretins have something to complain about.

Latest posts