What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

lockyno1

Post Whore
The biggest issue I have is Gallop saying Japanese rugby is a competitor..it is a standard lower than club rugby in NSW..it is basically a little more than touch footy. I think the NRL needs to wake up and be realistic, you either relax the rules with unlimited 3rd party deals or you let the players go to short term deals overseas. If you don't we will lose more players than Gallop thinks. I do think that each player that goes should be set a base contract by the NRL..so in other words if Benji is valued at $400,000 per year then the Tigers MUST pay 400K under the cap and no less. You either do that or you allow 3rd party deals with no restrictions.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
There is a very important quote in yesterday's 'The Australian' newspaper in relation to the Benji Marshall playing in Japan saga - see highlighted bits below. Not sure how credible this report is, but the RU governing body might allow him to go play in Japan anyway.

Link: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25070458-5012431,00.html

Tigers call on NRL to review guest stints

Stuart Honeysett | February 18, 2009

Article from: The Australian
BENJI Marshall is close to signing a long-term deal with Wests Tigers but that hasn't stopped the club from urging the NRL to review its hardline stance on players topping up their earnings with guest stints in rugby union.
The Wests Tigers halfback has been exploring the possibility of playing union in Japan when his contract expires at the end of the year.
Although the Tigers are keen to retain him, NRL contracts will not allow clauses allowing players to dabble in the rival code.
That left Marshall with the prospect of allowing his deal to expire, play in the Japanese competition from November to February where he stood to earn $1million, before returning to sign with Wests Tigers.
It is understood Marshall is waiting on a decision from Japan over the use of non-capped players in its competition but his manager Martin Tauber is not anticipating a favourable outcome.
If that is the case, then Marshall will sign a new deal with the Tigers before the season starts next month that would tie him to the club until the end of the 2013 season. "If the (Japan) plan goes the way we think it will, it would mean that it's all over red rover and we just get on with signing a new deal with the Tigers," Tauber said.
Wests Tigers chief executive Scott Longmuir said the talks had been positive to date. "We had a good meeting with his manager last week and our expectation is something will be resolved shortly," Longmuir said.
Longmuir said he would consider raising at the next chief executives meeting whether it is time for the league to re-examine the laws regarding its playing contracts. Marshall is not the only player to be affected by the rules as former Penrith captain Craig Gower was denied the opportunity to play for an Italian club in 2006.
Gower ended up seeing out his contract with the Panthers in 2007 before heading to France to play union.
St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust also floated the idea of players being allowed to do both before he lost centre Mark Gasnier to Stade Francais.
"It's just like someone paying a third party for a player's services," Longmuir said. "If there's money on offer that people are prepared to pay then the game needs to consider all those things if it means there's an opportunity for players to play overseas, earn some money and still be part of the NRL.
"On the other hand I understand the NRL's philosophy. They're protecting the integrity of the game."
NRL chief executive David Gallop said yesterday he was happy to discuss the idea but he couldn't see anything to change his stance.
"I can't see how it's in rugby league's interests to allow players to play rugby union," Gallop said.
"We're under pressure every year to reduce the workload on elite players and to risk them getting injured playing in our competitor's code is not something many businesses would agree to.
"Secondly, there's the potential for salary cap implications where players are supplementing their NRL salary with effectively payments from a third party."
Gallop also rejected suggestions comparing the situation to Cricket Australia allowing its star players to take up lucrative IPL contracts. "They're still playing cricket, they're not playing baseball," Gallop said.

The Observer

Staff member
There is a real risk that Benji were injured and miss NRL next year. The NZRU just lost their All Blacks playmaker Dan Carter to a serious Achilles injury because they left him play an off season stint with Perpignan RU in France

dan_carter_1250997c.jpg

Gallop should state that he would prefer Benji to play for the Kiwis, and earn extra money that way, rather than playing another code.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Difference is that is FRENCH RUGBY..we are talking mickie mouse Japanes rugby. The French rugby comp is very serious!

Difference is that is FRENCH RUGBY..we are talking mickie mouse Japanes rugby. The French rugby comp is very serious!

So? Irrelivant?
Accidents always happen and Benji has had his fair share, could easily continue, even in "Mickey Mouse Japanese Rugby".

Joker's Wild

Coach

What?! This may come as a surprise to you champ but players get serious injuries at every level of both league and union. Just because it is a less "serious" comp doesnt mean that serious injuries arnt frequent.

Get a clue

gregstar

Referee
horseradish head said:
you are out of your depth.

unless this discussion drifts into the topic of rooting jim nabor's corpse, stfu.

NGR

Juniors
What?! This may come as a surprise to you champ but players get serious injuries at every level of both league and union. Just because it is a less "serious" comp doesnt mean that serious injuries arnt frequent.

Get a clue

yes that is true, but he is pointing out they would be less frequent...

learn to read between the lines :roll:

i cant believe you idiots are actually agreeing with gallop. maybe you're just jealous that he can make $1,000,000 in 10 weeks.

^^ sad because he has to take the semi naked benji marshall poster off the wall

give yourself a good thrashing, blow it all over the poster and fold it up ... it'll never get unstuck again and your torment will be over and your love for benji would have gone out in style

Joker's Wild

Coach

If you actually read my post mate you would have seen that my point was that serious injuries are just as frequent in lower grades as they are at the top level.

Learn to read full stop champ

lockyno1

Post Whore

Get a clue

He is just as likely to get injured at pre season training. Keep our best players happy. Pretty simple concept

Once again, irrelivant. Still frequent enough, isn't it?

He is just as likely to get injured at pre season training. Keep our best players happy. Pretty simple concept

If we're keeping our best players happy, why is Benji being mentioned??

Seriously, he'd only be happy if he rose beyond our game. The chance of him being injured with his history is great, and if Gallop had no stance and he DID get injured, the Tigers fans would whine to the NRL about letting him go over.

T

Juniors
I think if all players are allowed an overseas stint in the off season, I think we can take a leaf from crickets book and allow a 2 month window(IPL for them) under the conditions that these players return to have 5-6 weeks of preseason with their NRL club. Win-Win situation IMO allowing player their true earning potential whilst avoiding them being lost to the game for good over being under payed.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Seriously, he'd only be happy if he rose beyond our game. The chance of him being injured with his history is great, and if Gallop had no stance and he DID get injured, the Tigers fans would whine to the NRL about letting him go over.

Bet you they cry more if he leaves the NRL as a result of Gallop being silly. I am not saying all for nothing. I am actually more for the unlimited 1st/2nd/3rd party deals. That is one way where the top players can top up their salaries and possibly keep them in the game. If this is not practical then we have to look at other options and Japanese Union is just one of these "other options"

Bet you they cry more if he leaves the NRL as a result of Gallop being silly. I am not saying all for nothing. I am actually more for the unlimited 1st/2nd/3rd party deals. That is one way where the top players can top up their salaries and possibly keep them in the game. If this is not practical then we have to look at other options and Japanese Union is just one of these "other options"

At least this way they could replace him, he is replacable.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I think if all players are allowed an overseas stint in the off season, I think we can take a leaf from crickets book and allow a 2 month window(IPL for them) under the conditions that these players return to have 5-6 weeks of preseason with their NRL club. Win-Win situation IMO allowing player their true earning potential whilst avoiding them being lost to the game for good over being under payed.

Don't mind that compromise, although make it 3 months as the Union clubs would want 3 months minimum.

lockyno1

Post Whore
At least this way they could replace him, he is replacable.

Whether I agree, he is their "marquee player"..he is hardly replaceable. Sure you could buy a halfback from somewhere but would he create marketing opportunities the same as Benji, possibly not.