What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

Card Shark

Immortal
Only saw the highlights from last night but I don't think the Kiwis lose too much on the field besides experience now that Johnson and Foran will be their starting halves.

No they don't - Johnson has rediscovered his mojo.

Springs

First Grade
Only saw the highlights from last night but I don't think the Kiwis lose too much on the field besides experience now that Johnson and Foran will be their starting halves.

I'd have them starting halves even if Marshall wasn't leaving.

Ayshford slams Benji's critics

Departing Wests Tigers star Blake Ayshford has slammed Benji Marshall's critics and shed a tear of his own about leaving Leichhardt.
All the attention leading up to the Tigers' 24-14 loss to the Warriors on Friday night was on Marshall after the superstar playmaker was granted permission to leave the NRL club at season's end.
But Ayshford too is on the move and the Cronulla-bound centre admits he was overcome with emotion after bidding farewell to the Tigers' spiritual home.
"It didn't really hit me that it was my last game (at Leichhardt) until I was walking around the field with my little baby boy and a couple of tears rolled down my face," Ayshford told AAP.
"It was pretty emotional. I didn't think it would hit me like that, but I've been playing here since I was 17.
"I've played Jersey Flegg, under-20s and Premier League out on that field in front of 300 and I've had some big games in front of 20,000.
"So it hit me pretty hard."
While Marshall has been at odds with the Tigers for months, Ayshford said he was leaving the club on good terms.
"They granted me the release. It's been a mutual thing - there's been no arguing," the 25-year-old said.
"I just think I've been playing some bad football the past two years and I just thought the change of scenery might help my football."
Ayshford admitted after the highs of making the grand final qualifier in 2010 and qualifying final in 2011, the lows of the past two seasons had been despairing.
"We need to win every game to make the eight or be a chance of making the eight, so it's been a real disappointing year, especially with the talent we've got here," he said.
"We know we can deliver a lot better."
He said the flak flying Marshall's way had also hurt the Tigers.
"A lot of us have been frustrated this week about how a lot of people have treated him," Ayshford said.
"Saying he's money hungry and all that, that's not the truth. All the boys in here know the truth and what he's done for this club over the last five or six years.
"I wish I could go on all those talk shows and express how much he's done for me and my football career and how much he's done for the fans and this club.
"You know, it hurts seeing that and we've stuck tight through that and we're going to stick tight through the next six weeks to make the semis."
In a sign of the fight left in the Tigers, who are still to face top-four sides South Sydney, the Sydney Roosters and Manly, Ayshford said he hoped to have a big decision to make during the finals series.
"We're expecting a baby girl in grand final week," he said.
"So it's going to be a tough decision on whether I play the grand final or go to the birth."

http://www.nrl.com/ayshford-slams-benjis-critics/tabid/10874/newsid/73577/default.aspx

:lol:

quitpot

Juniors
my favorite coach of any code and I only read this last night. This describes the Wests tigers 100% and why this guy who is so loyal is leaving the club and the game. I coached Adam Reynolds in 1997 under 7s Lechhardt juniors, I played West ryde denistone and for my 43 years lived and breathed the tigers but this time they go to far.

"As elements have their valances - measures of atoms' ability to combine with one another to form molecules, so the chemistry of human personalities, which I call bonding. has loyalty: the force which enables human beings to cooperate and reciprocate. There is no such thing as a team without loyalty. There is such a thing as the word "team" being thrown around loosely as a mask for one-sided loyalty (and there we go back to the worst possible kind of CEO, the phony) Loyalty must be reciprocal, and it must be initiated from the top. Demanding loyalty from your people, without first showing your loyalty to them, is a disastrously phony." (Jimmy Johnson Turning the thing around 1993)

Thank you Benji for the memories I would like to apologise as a long term fan and former member of the leagues club for the way you have been treated you and your peers now at other clubs.

The club will not make the finals for the next 5 years and I would say ten years but there will be not be a Wests tigers in 10 years with the same kind of board we continue to welcome. Does anyone ever ask themselves why Wayne Pearce would not have his kid anywhere nert the place?

undertaker

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/b...ues/story-e6frf4pu-1226691330719#.Uf8KQG00bCs

BENJI Marshall will play Super Rugby with the Blues next year after agreeing a contract with the Auckland-based franchise.

Marshall will make the switch to rugby union in 2014 after last month announcing he was ending his decade-long relationship with the NRL's Wests Tigers.

Marshall met with Blues officials, including coach John Kirwan, during a visit to Auckland last Friday.

Marshall said at the time the prospect of becoming an All Black was a strong motivation for him to switch codes.

``It's looking promising, if it all works out according to plan then hopefully I do end up playing here,'' Marshall said on Friday before returning to Sydney.

``I've got to take into account all my options but the opportunity to maybe one day play for the All Blacks is a pretty big motivator for me.

``Obviously I'm pretty nervous about that, but at the same time excited at the prospect of having the opportunity.''

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wonder how much of a pay cut he has taken? With S15 salary cap reduced and no guarantees he will cut it and make the all blacks he must have taken a fair $ hit?

simon says

First Grade
He has been playing so badly I really wonder how well he will go??

And where will he play???

Im assuming in the halves somewhere.

Mr Saab

Referee
Tigers should kick him out now. It is not like he playing like Benji 2005, he is playing like a Lolzen / Maranta / Ben Roberts.

shiznit

Coach
I'm a big Blues fan... And I'm shaking my head at us signing him...

We have 3 provinces to choose from including Auckland and were getting a bloke from another sport??

It really makes me shake my head...

Yet we have kids who have come through our system like Hurrell and Tuivasa-Sheck who are really doing well in the NRL.

Quite frankly I would rather we held on to a kid like RTS than go chasing Benji.

All the best to him though...

undertaker

Coach

We have 3 provinces to choose from including Auckland and were getting a bloke from another sport??

Yet we have kids who have come through our system like Hurrell and Tuivasa-Sheck who are really doing well in the NRL.

Quite frankly I would rather we held on to a kid like RTS than go chasing Benji.

Back to Whakatane he goes

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think this is the only time I've thought a League player wouldn't cut it in Union.

The vast majority of Union is kicking; and we all know how good Benji is at that....

Te Kaha

First Grade
Wonder how much of a pay cut he has taken? With S15 salary cap reduced and no guarantees he will cut it and make the all blacks he must have taken a fair $ hit?

There is no Salary Cap for NZ Super 15 teams. every player gets the same amount for S15 games plus an increase if they make it to AB level. 3rd party payments can be anything.

Good for the Canes since the Blues were chasing Barret.