What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
What's this bullshit about. I will never play against the tigers rubbish

If you want to all be called professionals, give me a break

I recently saw Andrew bogut interviewed when he was trade bait

He was like " I could end up at 10 clubs" as long as they pay my contract. I don't care "

:lol: WCC and 4 nations got nothin an the world cup, Benji's loyalty for NZ keeps Cronk in the # 7 for QLD and a minor prem over the cap don/t count.. So Benji has a world cup and a premiership!!!!! and Smith is still catching up..
:lol::lol:

Give it 4 months and Smith will have a WC to his resume too.

adamkungl

Immortal
Wait are people actually arguing the 7s isn't a joke of a game?

RL 9s > Union 7s, and both are offseason training sports.

Springs

First Grade
So...what do you call loyal?
11 years going out and playing, putting your body on the line (regardless of whether you play good or not this is what they do), wanting your payday like every other professional sports person and wanting it from the same club you grew up as a player with? not wanting to play against that same club? is that not being loyal? Benji may have been playing shite for a while, he may be a spoilt brat & it is probably his time to go but how do you call it being disloyal? Oh yeah, in some people's world (not the real one) players will play for nothing just to play the game for the fans...
What I think about Benji is how he inspired a whole generation of kids with his flair, his stepping, and the magic he brought to league for a while. Yes, he's older and slower & the game may have gone past him but don't underestimate his influence on all those players coming through now. There's certainly more kiwis playing league today because of him.
I wish him well in his future...people should do the same and move on

He left his club because he didn't get it all his own way. Yeah he's a spoiled brat and he is not loyal. How the hell is he playing for nothing? By the way he had two years left as being the highest paid player at the club.
Danny Buderus said he would never play against the Knights. He went to England and stayed with the sport, continuing to give back. Then he came back to the Knights. That's (kinda) loyalty. This Benji 'I can't play against the Tigers so I'm leaving all my fans, my mates and my sport' shit is not loyalty. How about trying to get the Tigers back on top? How about sucking it up and playing under Potter for a few more years for his fans? How about staying in rugby league and continuing to promote it instead of chucking a tantrum and going to do the same for another sport? How about staying around to continue to play RL for NZ and promoting our sport in his country?

Mr Saab

Referee
Well Benji never had the chance to play Origin.

Correct, but even if he did have the chance NSW most likely would have dumped him after one game....afterall the 5/8 is the scape goat. Just ask Campese / Soward / Mullen / Carney

undertaker

Coach
Benji is a spoilt child too accustomed to getting his own way under Sheens.
Potter put him in his place and he doesn't like it.
So he chucks a typical Benji tantrum and walks out on his contract two years early.
His "Legacy", if you could call it that, is that he is a typical Gen Y fuggwit.

Tuned in just to see what he would say on TFS.

I am now left in no doubt that he painted himself into a corner and the new management called his bluff on the Union threat trotted out for over 7 years by Marshall & Tauber.

Now he is f**ked. No contract, no security, no need for anyone to offer big money to lure him.

I think he is realising that

This.

Also, LOL at how Tauber was angry at the NRL (when he was interviewed by Weidler) for not intervening in trying to keep Benji in league. He thought the NRL were going to bail Benji out and negotiate a deal like they did to keep Andrew Johns in the NRL in 2004. The bottom line with Benji though is that none of the other 15 clubs want to touch him with a 50 foot pole because they know he is not even worth half the amount of money he's asking for. By forfeiting the last two years of his Tigers contract, he's done nothing other than screw himself out of money that he isn't worth in the first place, and won't be getting even in Union.

Looks like Slothfield was right about one thing all along: that Benji was given way too much power and control at the Tigers, and once Sheens was no longer there to cover him up, he was exposed and had nothing to fall back on. Benji - a good player but had a very small peak (2005/06) largely attributed to his signature moves, the goose-step and the flick pass. Once he stopped doing it, he was like Samson after Delilah shaved his head: he had nothing. He has been grossly overpaid for the past few years and for those who say he played in the winning 2008WC and 2010 4-nations sides, yes he was a part of the side but wasn't instrumental for the Kiwis in either of those campaigns.

He's been a has-been for quite sometime, and him and his screwball manager have run amok and tried to hold the Tigers management to ransom for years with the "we've received much better offers elsewhere (Union)" line to milk more money from the Tigers when he was slowly in decline. Now we'll see whether or not reality matches up with the claims. We're going to find they won't. Sucked in! The Tigers are going to be far better off in the next couple of years without him.

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
Sure is alot of bullshit posturing in this thread.
Hes going to go to union and make a mint, either in super or Japan.
Those that think otherwise havent a clue.

Springs

First Grade
This.

Also, LOL at how Tauber was angry at the NRL (when he was interviewed by Weidler) for not intervening in trying to keep Benji in league. He thought the NRL were going to bail Benji out and negotiate a deal like they did to keep Andrew Johns in the NRL in 2004. The bottom line with Benji though is that none of the other 15 clubs want to touch him with a 50 foot pole because they know he is not even worth half the amount of money he's asking for. By forfeiting the last two years of his Tigers contract, he's done nothing other than screw himself out of money that he isn't worth in the first place, and won't be getting even in Union.

Looks like Slothfield was right about one thing all along: that Benji was given way too much power and control at the Tigers, and once Sheens was no longer there to cover him up, he was exposed and had nothing to fall back on. Benji - a good player but had a very small peak (2005/06) largely attributed to his signature moves, the goose-step and the flick pass. Once he stopped doing it, he was like Samson after Delilah shaved his head: he had nothing. He has been grossly overpaid for the past few years and for those who say he played in the winning 2008WC and 2010 4-nations sides, yes he was a part of the side but wasn't instrumental for the Kiwis in either of those campaigns.

He's been a has-been for quite sometime, and him and his screwball manager have run amok and tried to hold the Tigers management to ransom for years with the "we've received much better offers elsewhere (Union)" line to milk more money from the Tigers when he was slowly in decline. Now we'll see whether or not reality matches up with the claims. We're going to find they won't. Sucked in! The Tigers are going to be far better off in the next couple of years without him.

I agree except for a few things. Benji played well in 05 then again in 09-11. He was instrumental in the Kiwis victories especially the 2010 Four Nations and probably deserved the Golden Boot for that year.

Sure is alot of bullshit posturing in this thread.
Hes going to go to union and make a mint, either in super or Japan.
Those that think otherwise havent a clue.

Only way he makes a mint is OS.

He's not going to make huge money in super union.

brooksy19

Bench
Thanks for 11 years of service Benji, helped build the club.

We're both better off with this move, all the best champ.

Thanks for 11 years of service Benji, helped build the club.

We're both better off with this move, all the best champ.

Whether he's the best player to ever play for us is open for debate, but without a doubt he is the most important player to ever play for us. I just hope he doesn't get boo'd for the rest of the season, where would we be in 2013 if he didn't come through in 2003?

brooksy19

Bench
He won't be booed by rational people, only the nutters.... Sad if he is, he hasn't murdered anyone, he's moving onto another job.

betcats

Referee
It would be dissapointing if he was booed but I can understand the feeling.

I wanted to boo Luke Lewis last year, and has been my favourite Panther for years.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Benji was as loyal to the tigers as they were to his mates who got shafted like Heighington, Beau Ryan and Fifita. End of the day it's a professional sport, just look what's happened at the Panthers and Eels.

flamin

Juniors
Only saw the highlights from last night but I don't think the Kiwis lose too much on the field besides experience now that Johnson and Foran will be their starting halves.