What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

Meth

Staff member
He's said previously that he won't play against the Tigers. If he holds to that, he'll be switching to Union.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Not as big a loss as the NRL media will make out. He's been a passenger in a crucial position at the Tigers for a couple of years. Tigs are all the better off in his departure. If Benji can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. You can tell by his attitude on the Footy Show shortly after he was dumped as NZ Captain that he is a petulent child who thinks he deserves more than he actually does.

Cya later.

gallagher

Juniors
He's said previously that he won't play against the Tigers. If he holds to that, he'll be switching to Union.

Also, I couldnt see the tigers granting him a release to play for another NRL team. It will be sad next year if Marshall, SBW and Falou are all playing union.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disappointing for International RL and the World Cup
Given the lack of creative players in the NRL he is a big loss to the game.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Also, I couldnt see the tigers granting him a release to play for another NRL team. It will be sad next year if Marshall, SBW and Falou are all playing union.

Why?

Marshall - princess
SBW - shithouse boxer who knows how to make money
Falou - good rugby footballer (both codes) but wants the dollars

For every player that goes, they are quickly replaced

Good player when he's on, but has turned into one of the biggest divas in the game. Whinged because his friends got released (some rightfully, some wrongfully in my personal opinion), then goes into terrible form and complains the club won't extend his contract or up his pay. Not to mention he does all of this on live TV. The worst part of him going is the fact that I will need a new username.

I hope he does stay in Rugby League because he is such a good player, but I can't see a club forking out such big coin for him. I assume the club that would benefit the most from him would be the Broncos, maybe a reunion with Prince in the halves may get the best out of both of them again.

hutch

First Grade
Why?

Marshall - princess

They are not easily replaced at all. The best result for our sport is that the best rugby players play rugby league. Losing your star players to another sport is not a good result for rugby league. To say they are easily replaced is a cop out because there are some ordinary players in first grade.

shiznit

Coach
He needs to play in nz npc which starts in August to be able to play for the Blues in next years Super Rugby.

Probably wants to play sevens at the Olympics.

He doesn't need to play super rugby to play in the sevens team.

The sevens team is full of players who can't make the 5 super franchises.

He would be taking a massive pay cut to play rugby in NZ. He would be on less than 160K when he first signs.

But if he gains a super contract that would top up another 300k... Then if he made the all blacks... And that's a big if.... He would top up another 400-500K.

But there's no restrictions on 3rd party deals... So he can earn whatever he likes from endorsements... Which the NRL had tight rules over.

Personally, I think he will sign for the Australian rugby... It would be more guaranteed money... And it's far easier to make it to the top.

He just won't win anything... If he manages to crack the NZ sevens team he's odds on to win a gold medal in Rio.

They are not easily replaced at all. The best result for our sport is that the best rugby players play rugby league. Losing your star players to another sport is not a good result for rugby league. To say they are easily replaced is a cop out because there are some ordinary players in first grade.

I agree , but we shouldn't sell our soul to keep them.

Loudstrat

Coach
Disappointing for International RL and the World Cup
100% agree. Another big name Kiwi shafting his country, just like SBW - in a world cup year too.

What I cannot cop is that his decision to quite the code is because he could never play against his club because "he can never play against his mates" -who are all playing for Cronulla.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So he is bailing on the club he respects so much mid year???? And his mates????

What a selfish merkin he is and the Tigers are better off without him, his form this season has been crap.

Card Shark

Immortal
Marshall - princess

Marshall has served the game for a long time whilst the other 2 are mercenaries.

Unfair to compare Benji to those 2.