What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji's Glass Shoulder Strikes Again

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21679702-23214,00.html

New Benji heartbreak

By Barry Toohey
May 05, 2007

BENJI Marshall's playing future was under a cloud last night after the Wests Tigers star sustained his fourth major shoulder injury in four seasons.
Marshall lasted just six minutes of the clash with Melbourne, but the Tigers still held on to end Melbourne's unbeaten run.
Attempting to make a tackle on Storm winger Israel Folau, Marshall dislocated his right shoulder after colliding with teammate Taniela Tuiaki. It is the same shoulder he dislocated twice last season.
The injury soured an otherwise great night for the Tigers.
After trailing 22-0 at half-time, the Storm threatened a second-half comeback with two tries, but a Ben Galea try six minutes from fulltime wrapped up victory.
Going into the game without injured fullback Brett Hodgson, the Tigers looked even more vulnerable when Marshall left the field holding his shoulder.
But it was apparent early that the unbeaten Storm were off their game. They appeared disinterested and lacked enthusiasm and only a minute after Marshall left the field, the Tigers took advantage.
Storm five-eighth Greg Inglis dropped a ball cold 30 metres from his line and replacement Chris Lawrence swooped and crossed untouched.
It was the young centre's first touch of the ball after he was pitched into the game as Marshall's replacement by coach Tim Sheens.
If Storm coach Craig Bellamy thought the try might awaken his side, he was disappointed.
The Tigers continued to pressure and, after Dean Collis put his side 8-0 up midway through the half with a penalty goal, they kicked further ahead after some brilliance from hooker Robbie Farah.
Scooting out of dummy-half eight metres out, Farah showed the ball twice before stepping past Inglis and managing to cross despite the attention of two Storm defenders.
Tigers replacement Danny Galea could find himself in hot water after being placed on report for a dangerous tackle on Ben Cross six minutes from halftime.
But the penalty made little difference to the Tigers' momentum, with Collis adding a further penalty goal a minute later for a 16-0 lead after the Storm coughed up possession.
Lawrence completed a dream opening 40 minutes for his side with a remarkable try two minutes from the break.
Picking up the ball after it was kicked out of a scrum, Lawrence beat five feeble attempts to halt his progress to score a great individual try to give his side their 22-0 half-time lead. It told the story of the opening half for the Storm.
Melbourne needed an early try in the second half to put themselves back in the hunt, and they got it six minutes in through centre Matt King.
Inglis and Billy Slater combined for a second-man play down the shortside, with King crashing through from close range.
Referee Tony Archer went to the video referee after the hint of an obstruction, but with the rule now amended, the Storm were the beneficiaries.
The four-pointer seemed to spark the competition leaders and suddenly the Tigers were on the retreat.
Melbourne wasted no time converting the pressure into points a second time, with lock Dallas Johnson crossing just four minutes later.
The try came after Folau cleaned up a Cooper Cronk cross kick before the halfback handled again and his inside pass found Johnson for the try.

ManlyFan07

Juniors
Benji is still very young. If I was him, I would take the rest of 2007 and all of 2008 off to try and get it right (and suitably strengthened) before returning in 2009...... maybe even 2010 if that is what it takes. If it works, he would still have a good 6+ years ahead of him.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
ManlyFan07 said:
Benji is still very young. If I was him, I would take the rest of 2007 and all of 2008 off to try and get it right (and suitably strengthened) before returning in 2009...... maybe even 2010 if that is what it takes. If it works, he would still have a good 6+ years ahead of him.

I'm sure the Tigers would be pleased with that. :sarcasm:

Ridders

Coach
benji was unlucky. Didn't his shoulder get jammed between the player he was tackling and one of his own players who was rushing in to make a tackle

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Taniela is an awesome player lol... and they still smashed Melboring without him :lol:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That would have stuffed anyones shoulder. Wrong place at wrong time

Very reminicent of the Jones broken arm v Tonga years back

Beavers Headgear said:
That would have stuffed anyones shoulder. Wrong place at wrong time

Very reminicent of the Jones broken arm v Tonga years back

I agree, when I watched it again, it was a small positive about it that it wasn't the impact that busted it, but he just got caught in an awkward position, we'll be fine without him, he hasn't been doing everything like he used to be.

He's been tenatative all season. Dunno how he'll go when he gets back but if he can't get past that, he'll only ever be a shadow of his 2005 self.

On the plus side... we looked pretty good without him last night....

league

Juniors
I have the same problem as Benji, and just 3 weeks ago I had a reconstruction, which has kept me out of my soccer season. I really feel for the kid, because even after reconstruction, your shoulder will never return to full stability, and there is always a good chance you might dislocate it again.

mattyg

Bench
very bad luck for benji i feel sorry for the guy. If he is out for the season again though, i still think Tigers will contest for the 8. Last year they started learning how to play without Benji, i think Farah and co. are good enough to see them in the mix for the 8.

mattyg

Bench
why do you say that?? He hasn't had a long term injury in 12 months. Missed 2 weeks through niggling injuries in the past 12 months. With any luck SBW is over the long term injuries.

Wilco

Juniors
mattyg said:
why do you say that?? He hasn't had a long term injury in 12 months. Missed 2 weeks through niggling injuries in the past 12 months. With any luck SBW is over the long term injuries.

Sonny Bill HAS to get injured again, otherwise the world with never return to it's natural order.

_Johnsy

Referee
As Gus Gould said on the sunday roast this morning.

What is benji's value as a player now ? Essentially he is damaged goods, how many clubs wuld risk signing him on the dollars he would want?

IMO the problem is his tackling technique, timing andhow he chooses to tackle opposing players, it almost seems like he is tryingto prove his shoulder is 100%.

Sad sad state indeed.

Latest posts