What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announcement today: quitting Knights

This is exciting.

Assuming offers to Wayne Bennett are similar financially, let's jump into his thought process for a moment and ask what he wants in a club?

Where's his heart at?

- is he attracted by a certain player roster as a priority? (e.g. ours with Benji, Dugges, Widdop ??)
- does he want to prove success at a fledgling club - like titans ? um, Cronulla??
- does he want a sense of home again - like Broncos?
- does he want to stay away from clubs where he has been before - the been there done that rationale?

Thoughts??

I just don't find the logic in giving Mary until the end of the season to prove himself, before then choosing between Bennett and Mary based on how Mary went to rd 26. Mary could flop from now until the end, and Bennett could then already be poached by another club by the time we decide that we want Bennett. We need to make a decision now, because Bennett is highly sought after, and I'd rather choose a proven, coaching demi-god than an unproven apprentice.

I totally agree with this. Standing back, to wait and see is hardly pro-active management.

It also undersells our brand a little too.

(I hate the term brand!)

I like "club"

Godz Illa

Coach
Jesus departed and returned after 3 days.
Creeping Jesus departed and returns after 3 years.

It is written.

Wait till he announces he's going to retire and all the people with their hand on their dick have choked it purple oh boy total melt down.

saint.nick

Coach
This is exciting.

Assuming offers to Wayne Bennett are similar financially, let's jump into his thought process for a moment and ask what he wants in a club?

Where's his heart at?

- is he attracted by a certain player roster as a priority? (e.g. ours with Benji, Dugges, Widdop ??)
- does he want to prove success at a fledgling club - like titans ? um, Cronulla??
- does he want a sense of home again - like Broncos?
- does he want to stay away from clubs where he has been before - the been there done that rationale?

Thoughts??

He dropped a massive hint in the P. conference that he doesn't want a rebuilding job, which is what is required at the Knights, as he stated. So you can cross out the second possibility re: fledging clubs. I don't think Brisbane want Bennett, so probably cross out the third one. With the first point, that heavily relates the second point about avoiding rebuilding jobs at fledgling clubs. If he doesn't want to rebuild, then that would mean he wants a team which he doesn't need to fix too much, and the strongest candidate for that would be US. All he needs to do is what he needed to do in 2009. Bring some forwards, play with the back a little bit, and that's it.

Godz Illa

Coach
BFD, Creeping Jesus is Wayne.
Wait till he announces he's going to retire and all the people with their hand on their dick have choked it purple oh boy total melt down.
He stated today he still has the desire and the drive to coach. So yeah, perhaps loosen your grip.

Coffs dragon

Bench
With the moon's beginning to align, a return to the RedV would not surprise me. I can see a possible 2 year coaching term taking Benny Hornby and Dean Young under his wing to put some polish on their coaching credentials and then Wayne to take on a director of coaching role. Mary deserves a crack at as the assistant & understudy to the master. Wayne's time at the dragons was memorable & enjoyable driven by a wonderful senior playing group that he had enormous respect for & most are still involved at the club. Ie Deano, Hornby, Creagh, Coops. Bring it on....I say.

pinkmoon

Juniors
I would bet my house on him going back to Brisbane. I also think the deal has probably already been done behind closed doors.

If you look at Brisbane's line up, they have a crop of fantastic young players, and by their own standards have under performed for the last 8 years. Even this year, Griffin has them playing well one week, and horrible the next. I don't think the Bronco's are satisfied with the inconsistencies, so not sure why some are suggesting they aren't interested in Bennett.
My guess is coaching guys like Milford, Barba, Hunt, McCulloch, McGuire, and co. would be a pretty fair carrot to dangle in front of Wayne, not to mention they have the money, and it's his spiritual home (as much as we like to think he is a Dragon).

The lure of returning to his favourite club with an established roster, prospective success on the horizon, and the opportunity to return the club to the winners circle will be too good to refuse IMO.

Latest posts