What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett slams TV stoppages

McCrud

Juniors
Typical Channel Nine antics, keep everyone in the dark.

What gall to keep the players uninformed until the game is under way.

Very poor.

God-King Dean

Immortal
That's a f*cking disgrace. Hold your head in shame Gallop. This makes me absolutly furious. Having all this money hype thrown around the game is one thing, but television coverage interfering with a continuous game is nothing short of disgraceful. The game has been cheapened, & is now little different from the NFL.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Went to an ad break just as Thurston was kicking the Penalty goal, when they came back, they continued on as if nothing had happened.:x

Same things been happening with the SL on PTV lately, they seem to be cutting a fair bit out, I notice it doesn't happen in other sports, only RL, wtf is going on?

strewth_mate

Bench
The crowds are going to love this, if it happens beyond this week. I'd imagine they'd make a hell of a racket in protest. Though that could be fun :-k

Would it just be a 'special case' owing to the live game being prioritised different in Queensland? Like would they have these stoppages if there were 4 Sydney teams playing on a Friday?

Razor

Coach
The AFL does it for all of their live games, so what's wrong with the NRL doing it? Would you rather the people watching at home miss out on the acion?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Razor said:
The AFL does it for all of their live games, so what's wrong with the NRL doing it? Would you rather the people watching at home miss out on the acion?

What's wrong with it ? Surely you are joking... surely. I'd rather not watch the game at all & just hear about the result, rather than this happen to the game.

Misanthrope

Staff member
What's wrong with it ? Surely you are joking... surely. I'd rather not watch the game at all & just hear about the result, rather than this happen to the game.

Good luck to you with that.

The NRL needs to meet its advertising commitments, and if they need to do that, I'd rather them hold up the game for the fifty thousand crowd at the game so that the few hundred thousand watching at home aren't disadvantaged.

Seriously, as a viewer, why would it bother you? I can understand that it would irritate players and those at the game - but it's an idiotic claim to say you'd rather read spoilers than watch a game that has been tailored for better viewing.

Coaster

Bench
It takes me back to a SOO game with the scores tied a few years ago. less than 1 minute on the clock and NINE went to a AD BREAK>

By time it come back on, less than 1 second passed and Langer kicked a field goal.

Somebody threw a stubby at the Big screen, and all hell broke loose.

Its a simple solution, its called Banner advertising, they could scroll across there all night long as far as i care.

strewth_mate

Bench
To be honest, yes, I'd rather miss a bit of action at home than have the game interrupted. Whatever they used to do for live games like State of Origin is fine by me, missing a couple of tackles can be annoying in most cases but it's certainly preferable to this. Besides, in the AFL everything stops after a goal while everyone gets back in position for the bounce; might only take a little extra time granted, but they never go to ad breaks in general stoppages. This is more like telling someone to wait after they've taken a mark.

Where I consider it wrong is exactly how Petero describes it as nullifying momentum. Besides it being a sign of the NRL's balls in a vice. Plus it's artificial - if tonight's game was a Sunday game, for instance, there would be no stopping for ad breaks, it would occur normally as it always has. So potentially, as long an assumption as it is, the game may be slightly changed on account of its programming timeslot.

I get annoyed enough as it is when players aren't allowed quick restarts from penalties, this takes it to a new level.

Misanthrope

Staff member
They didn't do it during the Tigers/Storm game, though. Why only do it to the Queenslanders?

strewth_mate

Bench
They didn't do it during the Tigers/Storm game, though. Why only do it to the Queenslanders?

Someone mentioned the Broncos game was live into Queensland, I take this to mean it was the game televised at 7:30? If so, I can't help but think the NRL had given priority to the Melbourne/Tigers game and had it televised, and played, as a normal live game. There were definitely longer ad breaks in the second game in NSW, but does this mean it was a normal delayed telecast, with the play stoppages taken into account and a few more ads chucked in? Wonder what the Storm/Tigers game was like in Queensland.

mattyg

Bench
ffs, getting a live game for free comes with cost. If that means delaying a scrum by 20 seconds then i'm all for it. Pay TV doesn't have ad's coz its just that...PAY TV, you pay for it. How else is Ch 9 going to cover the costs of broadcasting the game live. Would you rather have the game 1 hr delayed with 10 sets of 3 minute long ads in it (making an 8.30 game finish at 11.30pm), or broadcast live and have a few slight delays.

OVP

Coach
LOL @ Wayne. If you were a man of your word, you'd also laugh at your pathetic self. :lol:

mattyg

Bench
You can't really complain, the game would have been delayed by 1 hr if it was played last year, and those who only had free to air would only have seen 2 NRL games on TV all weekend. If getting an extra LIVE game on FTA every week means having slight delays (or missing a few tackles) due to ads, then so be it. As long as the delays are reasonably placed in the coverage. Scrums, restarts etc. seem appropriate.

Latest posts