What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett to decide on future within weeks

mmap dragons

Juniors
I cannot see him coming to the Dragons, he will probably stay with Drugcastle or maybe even retire.

My money is on Creeping staying with Newcastle. He has however been quoted saying he will continue coaching post this season.

possm

Coach
On 4BC radio this morning, Gold Coast are not in the hunt to sign Bennett. So from that I would say:
Henry as Gold Coast head coach.
Bennett to either, Broncos or Dragons.

It's rumoured that Bennett would have to accept a 400k pay cut to stay at Newcastle and I'm guessing he won't go for that.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
on 4bc radio this morning, gold coast are not in the hunt to sign bennett. So from that i would say:
henry as gold coast head coach.
bennett to either, broncos or dragons.

it's rumoured that bennett would have to accept a 400k pay cut to stay at newcastle and i'm guessing he won't go for that.

Untitled.jpg

BennyV

Referee
Beale? Mata'utia? just messing with ya mate, didn't miss the point, I just don't think Dugan will play fullback again. bar injury to Quinlan

Seems like I missed the point!!

And dont lose faith, a new coach will.hopefully come in with some sense...

saintzrule

Juniors
And Wayne made positive references to Alex Ferguson re age a coupla years ago. Age will not be a consideration:cool:

denis preston

First Grade
I think Ben Ikin would know and he is putting his money on staying.I'd say history never repeats , wish it would though.

St Georgio

Juniors
FORMER Australian Rugby League chief executive John Quayle is likely to play a key role in the rebuilding of Newcastle but coach Wayne Bennett is no closer to deciding his future following a meeting between Knights officials and the NRL yesterday.

Quayle, who ran the game when the Knights were ushered into the competition in 1988, attended the meeting at the invitation of the NRL.

One of the country’s most respected sporting administrators, Quayle has urged the NRL to adopt a patient approach to rebuilding the Knights in the wake of Nathan Tinkler’s exit as owner.

Whether Bennett will be part of the rebuild is yet to be determined. The seven-time premiership winner emerged from yesterday’s meeting with greater clarity over the club’s future but no closer to finalising whether he would be in charge next season.

Bennett revealed the Knights were rebuilding, which could take as long as five years.

“There was lots of clarity about lots of things but nothing about my position so much,” Bennett said. “It was discussed but not in any great deal. We have all agreed to come back in a week or two and talk about it.

“I am comfortable I am employable going forward. So I am not stressing about anything like that. What I liked about today was the NRL holds the licence but they don’t want to be involved.

“The club is debt-free from today. The club wants to look at a new start as well.”

When it was pointed out he probably never envisaged staying in Newcastle for another four or five years, Bennett replied: “That’s a good point. That’s all part of what I needed to hear going forward.”

Significantly, Quayle, who now lives in the Hunter region, played a key role at the meeting, a possible pointer to him retaining a position.

“He has a wealth of knowledge and he was great to have at the meeting,” Bennett said.

“There are a lot of things that need to be repaired here. I was elated to see him there. He ran the game and he did a great job. I saw that knowledge and love of the game there today.”

Quayle’s involvement shapes as a big move by the NRL. During the formation of the indepen*dent commission, Quayle was touted as one of the inaugural commissioners. In the end, he was overlooked but has retained his love of rugby league, something he stressed when he spoke to The Australian on the eve of yesterday's meeting.

Quayle said the NRL needed to take its time determining the club's structure, a proposition that could jeopardise Bennett's future at the club.

“Wayne is a professional football coach and one of the best we have seen,” Quayle said.

“Again, do you build a club around a coach? These days you can’t because you don’t know how long they are going to want to be part of it.

“The good thing about Wayne is he has got excellent knowledge.

“He was very much involved in the structure of Brisbane. He knows what a professional club has to be.

“Again, you talk about long-term viability but you can’t build it around any one person. The important thing is to get the model right.”

Bennett, seen as vital to the Knights’ success, has interest from elsewhere. St George Illawarra, the club he led to the 2010 title, is yet to appoint a coach for next season.

Bennett also stressed the NRL had indicated its support for Knights chief executive Matt Gidley at the meeting.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...968205751?nk=b7c95675cb7bda2a0ac5efe4a19e6d17

Zorba, Bulldog Richie and the boys at 2ky, say we are no chance of getting Wayne Back.

gregstar

Referee
i'd suggest that because saints haven't announced a coach for 2015 indicates that they are chasing creeping heavily.

the other contenders are not currently coaching other clubs & one would think that the club would have already announced it if they had been signed.

St Georgio

Juniors
i'd suggest that because saints haven't announced a coach for 2015 indicates that they are chasing creeping heavily.

the other contenders are not currently coaching other clubs & one would think that the club would have already announced it if they had been signed.

Surely over a few crownies, Doust says how many years and how much do you want Wayne..Wayne says this, this and that, done. Great, time for another crowny.

mickeylane

Bench
Bennett is locked in!!
If he doesht lock in I will hand in my "Mickey Lane" ID and retire from
The forum forever..

I'm that certain!!

Latest posts