What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett

Whats Doing

Bench
I have given Bennett enough slack with a very disappointing start to the season but when one is on $1.5 million per year, he doesn't have the same luxury as other new coaches have with teams.

From my observations he has taken the team backwards significantly from last year.

1. Apart from maybe Jimmy, every other player is not playing no where near as good as last year. The deteriation is very obvious.

2. He continues to select a very light bench and tonight there was not one genuine prop on the bench.

3. The attack and structure is no where it was last year under Stone.

4. The team has a genuine lack of pace and apart from Uate and Boyd, there is no pace in this team.

5. The team's performance has got worse each week and not improved as one would have expected.

6. It is obvious there is lack of confidence/ belief/ morale and this sheets back to Bennett.

The team has no chance to make the semi's on form this year and Tinkler (quite rightly) should be putting some serious questions to Bennett.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not prepared to give up on Wayne just yet but if we were a European soccer club he'd be studying the classifieds pretty closely right now

Whats Doing

Bench
Not giving up on him just yet but on $1.5 million he doesn't deserve the same slack as a new coach and questions directed to him is needed.

On paper we are a better side than last year but are playing well below last year's standard.

Only need to look at Hasler with a new team and is taking them only forward from last year.

Bennett needs to provide answers for his massive salary and Tinkler needs to fire away.

aqua_duck

Coach
Not giving up on him just yet but on $1.5 million he doesn't deserve the same slack as a new coach and questions directed to him is needed.

On paper we are a better side than last year but are playing well below last year's standard.

Only need to look at Hasler with a new team and is taking them only forward from last year.

Bennett needs to provide answers for his massive salary and Tinkler needs to fire away.

The bulldogs team is alot more fundamentally sound than ours, they've got a massive pack, solid halves and have 2 strike weapons in the backline to take advantage of the opportunities. Rick Stone did an outstanding job hiding our weaknesses and playing to our strengths

The bulldogs team is alot more fundamentally sound than ours, they've got a massive pack, solid halves and have 2 strike weapons in the backline to take advantage of the opportunities. Rick Stone did an outstanding job hiding our weaknesses and playing to our strengths

Tactically he just does not seem up to date with the modern day coaches. Look at the structure set by hasler, bellamy etc.. Lots of bodies in motion, guys running on angles, halves that have a plethora of options, it looks beautiful to watch. Our attack has none of that at all. I love watching teams like the dogs, broncos, storm, cowboys because they all have similar attacking structures. You dont need to have a brilliant team to pull it off either, you just need guys that know their place.

The Red Afro

Juniors
We started the game with our two most damaging runners, and then when they, along with Bedsy, left the field, the game turned to shit and we never established any presence again.

Is our depth that utterly shit that we have nothing else, or is Bennett trying to play something here?

Agree on the comments in regards to our attacking structure too. We have nothing. Zero. Zilch.

I watch in awe when the top teams just flow. It's so enthralling to watch, and it works. f**k, we cant even support our runners.

Dont even think I've seen an inside man play, which is pretty damned straight forward. The only attacking play we have is seemingly trying to spread it quickly wide, or putting in some half-assed shit kick that is always defused. We talk of building pressure, yet we are totally inept when it comes to building repeat sets.

Last edited:
Yep, if we had 2 quality props and an organising halfback we would be competitive. I can not see us winning another game all year unless we fluke a win.

RABK

Referee
As far as 2012 goes Bennett is doing a shithouse job. We are a complete rabble and have gone backwards in EVERY facet of the game with a better roster than 2011. Bennett has not earn't a cent of his 43 million dollar contract. His loyalty to a bunch of blokes simply performing below NSW cup and bringing Cuthbertson here pisses me off.

There i said it.

However i'll give him 2012 as a rebuilding/clean out year - if this has to be a write off for the greater good of 2013/14/15 so be it. I'll be one of the first to think back and realise we had to be a rabble before we become a force. Beau Scott does not equal clean out/rebuilding to me however. All off contract guys not been re-signed is a start though.

This is going to hurt to say it but this knights side is boring, i don't look forward to watching them. Infact i near dread it they are so boring, lacklustre and disinterested. I enjoy watching other sides more than the Knights.

Whatever you got up your sleeve i hope it bears fruit Bennett because I, and i assume plenty of other Knights fans, won't tolerate this bullshit in 2013.

I wouldn't go emo yet. We were just beaten by a team that lost 6 games in a row and, over the last month, have gained in confidence and were spoken of as a good chance of the semis and well on the improve.

On paper we have a decent and capable team. I reckon what is really missing is the plot. We lose it too easily.

Rusty

Juniors
There's a reason why Bennett signed up for 4 years. In saying that I was expecting more than the crap we're dishing up. Our performances have been so poor this year. It almost seems like a silent protest by the team against Bennett because I don't recall them ever play this poorly under Stone. Extraordinary, considering we didn't have the calibre of players we did this year.

Nuffy

Bench
Bennett needs to start letting us in on the secret plan because it's one thing to say that the plan is coming together and its another altogether seeing the fruits of that effort being laid bare on a cold Saturday night.

I'd really like to understand the rationale behind the one out play, it's boring and ineffective, the players get dominated and burn out faster. It's difficult to see how this is improving things.

Irrespective of public utterances, I suspect that all associated with HSG is getting really nervous as performances get worse.

Nuffy

Bench
The scary thing is that outside of Scott, we've added no one and there doesn't seem to be lot of quality around.

For a clean out to be successful, we need to be able to add quality and we may not be able to in 2013.

Fire

First Grade
Hi guys. I know it's easier said than done for me, as I'm a Dragons supporter. But keep the faith and don't give up on this guy. I just hope Tinkler doesn't have a brain snap and fires him.

Bennett has the formula for success, just give him time and tough it out. Next year you will give it a shake. 2014-2015 you'll be genuine contenders. Just be patient.

Yosh

Coach
He has been the best coach for over 25 years. His class won't suddenly disappear. He is probably more concerned than all of us put together. Premierships aren't won in May so i'll be keeping my thoughts reserved till end of October.

timka4

Bench
Agreed, we havent been great for the most part of the season. But our team is pretty dam different to what we had last year. New coach, centres, fullback, hooker, props. It won't just happen in 12 weeks. Like Fire said, maybe 2013, but 2014-15 hopefully we will be a great team

Whats Doing

Bench
I don't agree (and I am sure Tinks thinks the same) that this year is seen as a rebuilding year.

That way of thinking in professional sport is a cop out and an excuse to buy time.

The benchmark is last years 8th spot and Bennett has an improved roster and resources over last year.

We are paying Bennett more than 4 times the amount of most other other coaches and his pass mark is to improve on last years performance.

I am not saying sack him or anything, but Bennett is to be judged on performance from day one and because of his salary there is an expectation he will deliver from day 1 and not 12 months down the track.

He needs to be critically looked at and not given the same slack as other new coaches to teams.

His performance todate, team selections and the way the team and individuals are performing has Bennett well below a pass mark at this stage.

macavity

Referee
I am becoming very concerned that we are finding out all too late that Bennett isn't the best coach, he has simply always had the best players.

I won't be surprised if Tinkler sacks Bennett. The whole feeling of deflation is bordering on humiliation a little now. I think we are being too lenient with Wayne. He is a man trying to mask the fact he has failed miserably. I am waiting for a journo to have the balls to ask him whether his success is based on having great players as opposed to him as a tactician. The room would go dead silent. Noone is infallable.