What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett

Spot On

Coach
I am becoming very concerned that we are finding out all too late that Bennett isn't the best coach, he has simply always had the best players.

This will always be said because of the Broncos set up and fair enough. There is truth to the Broncos plethora of great players coming off the production line all those years they had one state and one team. However, Bennett was responsible for the structures at the club that led to all that talent being identified, retained, developed and used in his team.

My thoughts late last year was that we should finish sixth. No higher. Definitely would not miss the eight. I am disappointed to say the least and cannot see any improvement in anything we do. I will say Jarrod Mullen has played much better footy this year but he is at best a running 5/8 with a handy kicking game and little ball playing skills. He has 4 try assists in 11 games. The best playmakers in the comp rack that up in one or two weeks. He has however crossed the stripe a few time himself so congrats there. We have no halfback and THAT is our major problem. It is possible that Bennett is setting his structures this year to integrate his half next year. That said, this team seems unable to offload or pass or have any attacking flair or structures. That is Bennett's fault. Maybe we will be a more effective offensive team when the half comes???? I do believe we could compete with the better teams if we had a top shelf half. We have the squad to make the top six easily.

Off field, my hope was Tinkler's money and Bennett's knowledge would put together a team of league men who would transform the clubs and local league structures to develop, identify, retain and then take the best players in a sort of production line to the Knights first grade team for years to come. I hope this off field dream is being worked on and is up and running with some result before Bennett leaves.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
What exactly are these "structures" I keep hearing about? One would swear he built the opera house.

This is the first real challenge of his coaching career. The first team he has had to pull up, rather than manage along. It will either tarnish his image or secure his legacy. Jury is well and truly out.

aqua_duck

Coach
What's even more concerning is in the past 5 years we've produced not 1 decent junior. Other teams are churning them out, every half promising youngster we've had has either failed to make it or has had very little success once in 1st grade

Spot On

Coach
Have a look where the Dragons finished in 2007 and 2008 at the completion of R26 Mac. Same job to do here as he did there.

This is all a classic case of too much hype. Maybe we are just facing the fact that the old Wayne structure is not going to cut it. It is deadset St George 2010 and it has already been made obsolete. This game evolves every year. Wayne needs to remove the shackles. We move the ball well. It was our strength and i believe we have to attack our way back into this comp.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Gus said it best when he said transition takes time and can be quite painful too. Couldn't agree more.

Fact is we all expected way too much this year, whether we want to acknowledge it or not.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm not overly worried yet.

I didn't have massive expectations for this year. Some of the posts from our fans in the NRL section in the offseason were a bit embarrassing unfortunately, so others will be quick to tear us down. That is probably adding to the frustrations here.

The end of next season is when I'll start getting genuinely worried. This year I'll give him the chance to dismantle what he was given. Next year is when I hope to see his plan coming together and us making a reasonable run at 6th or so.

aqua_duck

Coach
Gus said it best when he said transition takes time and can be quite painful too. Couldn't agree more.

Fact is we all expected way too much this year, whether we want to acknowledge it or not.

I don't think improving on last year could be considered expecting too much. Even if we expected very little we'd still be disappointed ATM.

As for Gus, I suspect he's just trying to justify leading Penrith into oblivion

Johns Magic

Referee
I don't think improving on last year could be considered expecting too much. Even if we expected very little we'd still be disappointed ATM.

You can't say improving on last year shoud be expected, because we were never going to be a genuine force playing that style of footy. I don't think it's fair to say 8th is the benchmark when we are implementing a completely different and new style of footy at the club.

I would rather see positive change by the end of the year and miss the eight than scrape in 7th or 8th and get barreled out in the first week of the finals.

We have had major problems at the club since Johns retired. At no point in the last seven years have we looked like a team that could actually make a difference in this competition. We've made the finals a couple of times but at no point have we actually played a style of footy that would allow us to go any further than that.

Frankly I'm sick and tired of the way we've been. I would rather take a few steps backward before running a mile forward than hovering in the same uninspiring position for the foreseeable future.

Bennett is the man with the courage of his conviction to make the changes we need. You can't demand immediate success from him. There are major problems at this club at the moment. The fact he had to recruit Willie Mason off the scrapheap, who is now just about our best player, says it all.

I must add that I do not want to see Wayne sacked by Tinkler cos he wants instant success. I think if any coach deserves time to get his structures in place it is Wayne. It would be embarassing to the max for that to even cross Tinkler's mind. We signed off on this. We have to ride it out.

RABK

Referee
I'm not overly worried yet.

I didn't have massive expectations for this year. Some of the posts from our fans in the NRL section in the offseason were a bit embarrassing unfortunately, so others will be quick to tear us down. That is probably adding to the frustrations here.

The end of next season is when I'll start getting genuinely worried. This year I'll give him the chance to dismantle what he was given. Next year is when I hope to see his plan coming together and us making a reasonable run at 6th or so.

Agreed however, and upon looking at whats available on the player market i'm sure you'll agree, 2012 is not a very ideal year to have a rebuilding year. I just can't see any off contract players that are capable of helping to turn around our side whilst adhering to the Bennett style.

2013 is certainly looking like a much better time to rebuild as there is some real talent off contract next year. I honestly believe Pearce should be a huge target for us. He is the little general we need.

6th would still be possible with a couple of more good signings to go with Beau Scott. But we'll never be a true threat with Jarrod Mullen as our dominant half. The guy is a ball runner and long kicker and is brilliant at that but he really is carrying our side with limited skills.

I actually predicted in the NRL forum we'd miss the 8 this year but i certainly didn't think guys like Aqua saying how could we miss the 8 from 2011 plus Bennett and our signings were far wrong.

Whats Doing

Bench
I don't see Maguire and Hasler who have both implemented new playing structures into their teams which both finished outside the 8 last year requiring any transition period in improving their teams.

To expect that our team would at least be in the 8 should be a given considering where we were last year, and the players Bennett brought to the club.

Transition periods, needing time to implement new structures are all cop outs in professional sport for people who are seeking breathing space for not performing

RABK

Referee
I honestly think if Stone was still coach in 2012 with his style coached upon this roster we'd be a top 4/6 side throwing the ball around but nothing more then finals cannon fodder. JM brings up a very good point. Despite making the finals a couple of times the bottom line is we've never ever been anything more than also rans post Johns. A $1 bet on us to win the comp anytime in the last 5 years was $1 wasted every single day since Johns retired.

The club has a rotten culture - not off field, on field. 2012 if Bennett was coaching to win then he's been awful but if he walked in here and banged his head against the wall then perhaps there was never going to be a season 2012 but just one long ass 2013 off season.

It is well known Pearce is dirty on Carney's sacking and the recent poor treatment of Anasta by Brian Smith. Essentially his two closest mates. He is a very real target if we are serious. I honestly think he will leave the Roosters. Origin form aside he is a superb club halfback.

RABK

Referee
I don't even see what he gets bagged about at Origin level. Watch the second half of last weeks game. He was the best half on the park. He ran to the line and gave Bird and Jennings a heap of service variety and they along with Hayne made about 300m in 40 minutes of football down the left fringe. His kicking game ain't brilliant but was probably the best amongst the halves in the game and his defence is tough for a guy his size.

He's not an elite game breaker but he is a general who'll bark orders at runners and arrange set plays. Most of all he is mentally tough and has a real dig. He is the next NSW captain after Gallen - no doubt in my mind.

Fire

First Grade
It is well known Pearce is dirty on Carney's sacking and the recent poor treatment of Anasta by Brian Smith. Essentially his two closest mates. He is a very real target if we are serious. I honestly think he will leave the Roosters. Origin form aside he is a superb club halfback.

Yep. Dragons and Knights are chasing him hard. I think you guys will get him.

Newynut

Juniors
After listening to Bennett on the wednesday news I am not surprised at this weeks performance.
Why would you bust a gut for the coach when he doesnt think we should be in the Eight.

RABK

Referee
Yep. Dragons and Knights are chasing him hard. I think you guys will get him.

Sharks are well in the hunt too mate.

Sharks > Knights > Dragons.

Either way he won't be a rooster in 2014.

Fire

First Grade
Sharks too? I didn't know that, cheers. Agreed, definitely won't be a Rooster in 2014.