What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett's ego out of control

KiamaSaint

Coach
Anyone who calls him honourable or a gentleman after his dealings with the Roosters in 2006 and then pulling out after Stuart got sacked because he had agreed to come again needs to pull themselves out of fairy land.

You mention this point frequently. Are you a bitter Rooster, Rooster man\\\\:D/?

Bluebag

Juniors
Dr J, tell us how you found these quotes which were never made at all and to use quotation marks is stupid on non existant quotes. I have met Wayne several times as many years ago the Jets followed the Broncos and he was terrific and would always say hello and introduce himself often. While others say he had a super squad can you tell me which rep players he signed as he was the one who brought these guys through and his ability to manage people is extraordinary and give players the confidance to play to their best, not to be as good as the superstars but their best. He sacked King Wally as well and everyone thought OMG but he was proven right. He is a class act and is protective of his players and will take the flack to ensure that, Dr J are you upset that he isnt coaching your team.

Dr.J

Juniors
From today's Tele:

"WE'VE said all along that Wayne Bennett is a done deal at the South Sydney Rabbitohs. There are now concerns he may have a change of heart like he did at the Roosters four years ago. The smart money is now on Benny going home to Brisbane."

From today's Sun-Herald:

"WAYNE BENNETT'S link to Souths was first made on this page on September 5 - and now I can tell you the Rabbitohs do not have a plan B when it comes to the super coach. It might be a dangerous move - especially with Brisbane clearing the decks for a romantic return to the Broncos for Bennett. ......Souths can't even plan to make a play for Tim Sheens or Michael Maguire - if word got back to Bennett, they would lose any chance they had.... Bennett's rival coaches are over his posturing and secret manoeuvres because he is holding them up.."

Normally the Sunday papers in Sydney love to sit on opposite sides of the fence and accuse each other of beat ups. When they BOTH claim that Bennett has recently agreed to coach Souths in 2012 and they BOTH claim that he is now planning to reneg on this deal to return to Brisbane (unless a better offer comes from Tinkler) and he is doing all of this while under contract to the Dragons......And he has form for doing all of this previously.

Any further takers for honourable and a gentleman?

Anyone?
(and don't repeat yourself by saying he is entitled to behave this way because he is such as great coach).

Is there someone out there who wants to say it is honourable gentleman-like behaviour to repeatedly be under contract to club A and agree on a handshake to coach club B and then pull out when club C comes with a better offer, with no concern about both clubs B & C sacking their incumbents?

My point is that if he carried on like Jose Mourinho everyone would say "great coach, egomaniac, so be it". I don't know how 90% of the general public is naive enough to buy the line that Bennett is "a man of honour and of his word".

Gaba

First Grade
when the telegraph puts a club as short price favourites its unlikely that person will go there.

Since the telegraph is saying the broncos are short price favourites i wont be surprised he stays at the dragons

Canard

Immortal
If that gossip column that Phil Rothfield wrote is even half correct, doesn't the mud stick more to Souths??

Why don't they tell Wayne to f**k off, and get someone who wants to coach there side next year? They will be left at the altar with only Paul Langmack or even worse Neil Henry to coach them if they continue like this.

Its seems more a case of clubs falling over themselves in the hope of signing a coach than anything else.

badav

Bench
Dr J surely you must be aware that coaching NRL sides you will not be shown any loyalty by any club. Its business and as a coach you would have to be stupid not to take the best offer available to you rather than showing loyalty.

Its the one job where when things go bad clubs will turf you without batting an eyelid so why would you be naive enough to think that coaches are going to be perfect people?

Its like when Newcastle fan's got pissed off at Brian Smith for taking a longer deal for more money at the Roosters. Had he resigned with Newcastle and taken a paycut to do so, 5 weeks into the next season a poor start would have seen him out on the kerb unemployed.

Last edited:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Whilst I tend to think that Dr.J has exagerated his point, I do agree that the public perception of Wayne's honour and loyalty is a little overplayed.

But there are two issues being discussed here - ruthlessness and honour - and, whilst they overlap, they are different.

I think that people need to accept that Bennet is going to be ruthless. Nearly all successful sportsmen are ruthless. Even Pat Rafter said that he had to be totally selfish towards his family and friends when on tour.

His sacking of his assitants is an example of his utter ruthlessnes - he had a bunch of some of the brightest and best former players working under him - wasn't it his job to help them improve? Was it wrong to sack them? That's arguable, and would depend on what he had said to them in the background. We'll never know. All we know is that it definitely was ruthless.
However, if Brian Smith did that everyone would say he was ruthless and nasty, and Brian wouldn't argue the point. But when Wayne does it he somehow manages to keep his humble, loyal public image.

However, honour is a different category, and can be expected of anyone.

If he was so honourable, why did Petero end up at Penrith after Wayne had agreed a high back-end deal? Petero - who is truly a gentleman - left angry. Gordie also fell out with him, Webcke wasn't too happy with him by the end etc etc

Fact is, he was preaching loyalty to Petero et. al and claiming they should stay for less money, meanwhile he was using the Thoroughbreds to get all he wanted and no-one knew. Just like he has got what he wants from the Boards he has worked with.

Remember when he didn't go to NQ? He stated he wanted a CEO who could "keep his board in line." In other words, Wayne wants to rule the CEO (like he does with Doust) and he wants them to then rule the Board. Therefore, Wayne gets his way. Again, this is ruthless behaviour, not necessarily wrong.

What IS wrong is that he uses his position to influence behind the scenes and hides behind the preaching of honour, loyalty etc. He is a political animal and he is winning the game BIG TIME. It's why he won't deny the stories that he won't work with Cullen under certain circumstances - he'll happily let people run with the fact that that he won't return unless he and Cullen can sort things out. That way, he either a) gets rid of Cullen, or b) has Cullen painted in a corner so that Wayne gets his way.

Don't fool yourselves into thinking that Wayne stays in the background simply because he doesn't play the media game. He uses the media exactly when he wants to. He often could end a lot of speculation with a few well placed words, but he won't do that if it doesn't benefit him.

And anyone who buys the "I didn't join the Roosters because they leaked it to the media" is kidding themselves. That one thing alone wouldn't turn the deal sour, but it was probably on top of a bunch of other things, and proved to him that it would be Politis etc running the show, not him. While over at Saints he had the chance to work with Doust, who was desperate for someone to save his job and would easily do everything that Wayne wanted.

You may love him because he is a great coach, but don't delude yourself into thinking that the sun shines out his backside.

Canard

Immortal
But do most NRL fans really care about his "honour and loyalty" as ascribed in this instance. Yeh Ive heard it mentioned about Wayne, but I also heard Todd Carney say his sober and Shovel Nose Hopaoate say he has "turned the corner". We are all very cynical about this sort of thing.

Most care about his coaching ability, if he has to run the club as dictatorship, than so be it. Im don't know how he did anything "wrong" with the Roosters, a club who approached him whilst he was currently under contract? etc.

Its worked for the last 20 years or so, so I dont have a problem with it.

If clubs are clearing there decks 12 months out hoping to get a run at Wayne surely thats totally there issue.

Hooch

Juniors
If he's chalking up premierships he could probably eat a few babies on the down low and the fans wouldn't care.

Bennet is a wily, ruthless creature. I agree totally that this 'Honest Wayne' image is just laughable. He is a very bloody good coach and knows how to bring a group of men together and get the best out of them. But he is not loyal and never has been... he is a manipulator. A very bloody good one but a manipulator none the less.

Anyone who holds genuine loyalty knows it comes at a price. People like Bennet use loyalty as something to be manipulated. They all do it.. look at Shifty Sheens.. frickin scumbag of the highest order. Even Benji woke up and got that Sheens clause out of his contract.

The blokes who end up on the wrong side of Wayne are players of less use to him.. at the back end of their careers or retired. What happened to Petero was a f**king disgrace.

Imo Wayne's best trick is being a blank slate.. he just lets other people see what they want to see. Encourages their loyalty. He's got Darius Boyd eating out of his hand.

Brian Smith is just a flat out weird bastard sometimes but he is honest.. he'll flat out see it's not my job to be their best mate or confidant. At least there is honesty in that and people know where they stand.

Mr Spock!

Referee
If that gossip column that Phil Rothfield wrote is even half correct, doesn't the mud stick more to Souths??

Why don't they tell Wayne to f**k off, and get someone who wants to coach there side next year? They will be left at the altar with only Paul Langmack or even worse Neil Henry to coach them if they continue like this.

Its seems more a case of clubs falling over themselves in the hope of signing a coach than anything else.

Maybe they need to do just that. No one wants to say anything which might upset the mastercoach. Thing is his decision has serious ramifications for lots of clubs. If Souths haven't got him on a signed contract and only his word, I'd be very worried.

KiamaSaint

Coach
So which of you on here who are commenting on Wayne's character have played with him or for a team he has coached? Because it seems to me that every player that plays for him has nothing but good things to say and that is after 3 decades in the game.

The fact DJ that the media keeps speculating about his future is good reason for Wayne to shut the heck up and get on with the task at hand. Why does he owe any of those clubs an answer, they all know he is contracted to the Dragons until the end of 2011.

I agree with Canard, it does seem more a case of clubs falling over themselves in order to secure his signature.

Dr.J

Juniors
Bennett has earnt the right - as top coach in the game - to take his pick of about 8 clubs as his next coaching assignment.

The only thing he hasn't earnt the right to do is carrying on as if other coaches are ruthless and disloyal and the key to his success is honesty and loyalty.

He can screw people and go back on his word with the best of them. He has most the world conned in this regard.

Latest posts