What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennetts Knights in 2012

Loudstrat

Coach
Just wondering what Knights fans are thinking, watching Bennett's Dragons falter at the business end of the season after a long losing streak that was only arrested in the nick of time?

To me, there doesnt need to be much added to Newcastle to be a genuine premiership force. Rick Stone has them in the finals again with a solid side with a lot of grit, and a ton of flamboyance around Mad Dog and Uate.

I really doubt, though, that Bennett and his lap dog Boyd will deliver a premiership, at best he will make them a top 4 club.

Thoughts?

Matchball

Bench
They are coming for Tinklers cash, nothing more.
Bennett's style is not working anymore so i hope the old dog has some new tricks next year but i doubt it.

lol@ at lapdog boyd.

typicalfan

Coach
I don't think Bennett will employ the same tactics for the Knights as he has for the Dragons. Remember Bennett said the Dragons had a reputation of being mentally soft and that would be something he has tried to change, and apart from the last few months the Dragons have been mentally strong, very consistent and fulfilling their potential. Fair to say the Knights have a bit more natural flamboyance, the key for Bennett is to get them playing 80 minute footy. That is probably one thing Stone hasn't been able to do.

dogslife

Coach
Bennett's side won the comp last year, his team isn't out of it this year and his methods are no longer effective? Knights for top 4 next year, just cause these nuffies said they won't

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Bennett's style is not working anymore so i hope the old dog has some new tricks next year but i doubt it.

lol@ at lapdog boyd.

The style is depenedent on the squad. Take Benji out of the Tigers and Sheens style is null and void too.

Our style was based on absorbing pressure and outstanding defence. This came from great depth in the forwards, which we just don't have this year.

On topic, Newcastle's success will depend on what Bennett can get out of Mullen. He's more physical than Soward, but he's just as soft in the melon and a show pony too.

Boyd at his best will add a lot.

Ulysseus

Bench
Wayne will give them the tools, it is up to the players to utilise them.
There has to be hunger for a start, if there is no drive or no will then it just wont happen.
Maybe that's what Saints have lacked this year, the same level of passion that they had last year.
I'd understand that to a degree, after such a wait followed by a triumph there is bound to be a mental lapse at some point.
It is either that or fatigue, I think the involvement in the rep season along with some poorly timed injuries conspired to f**k our shit up.

Matchball

Bench
The style is depenedent on the squad. Take Benji out of the Tigers and Sheens style is null and void too.

Our style was based on absorbing pressure and outstanding defence. This came from great depth in the forwards, which we just don't have this year.

On topic, Newcastle's success will depend on what Bennett can get out of Mullen. He's more physical than Soward, but he's just as soft in the melon and a show pony too.

True.
Tigers lose every game Benji doesn't play in and we got zero after that.

The choking your opponent style of play from the dragons has worn thin and it lacks the same impact this year.
I hope they do well as i have always had a soft spot for Newcastle.

Johns Magic

Referee
Just wondering what Knights fans are thinking, watching Bennett's Dragons falter at the business end of the season after a long losing streak that was only arrested in the nick of time?

To me, there doesnt need to be much added to Newcastle to be a genuine premiership force. Rick Stone has them in the finals again with a solid side with a lot of grit, and a ton of flamboyance around Mad Dog and Uate.

I really doubt, though, that Bennett and his lap dog Boyd will deliver a premiership, at best he will make them a top 4 club.

Thoughts?

To give you my answer, I'm not taking much from the Dragons' form this year...things seem a bit sour there since Bennett announced his departure.

Suitman

Post Whore
To give you my answer, I'm not taking much from the Dragons' form this year...things seem a bit sour there since Bennett announced his departure.

Yeh, I agree. Downturn in form = Bennetts announced departure.
I reckon Bennett will have the Knights up there in Top 4 contention.

Suity

Spot On

Coach
I think Bennett has done wonders with the Dragons squad. This year their forwards have really been nothing more than mediocre. Bennett will have a solid pack to work with next year and some very good backs. Get Mullo to play consistently well and top four is well within reach.

innsaneink

Referee
I doubt any Knights fan is that impatient to really demand and expect a premiership in year 1 in the era of wayne
Offer me a top 4 spot now for next year its something to work with, but to say top 4 but no premiership is getting quite picky....

Noname36

First Grade

lol@ at lapdog boyd.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Snowden is coming back because he never wanted to leave in the first place, Tahu is coming back on minimum wage, and Boyd, well that's all Bennett too.

And like someone else said, Bennett employed that style at the Dragons because the players he had at his disposal suited that style. His Broncos team played a completely different style. Who knows what he'll do with the Knights.

As a Newcastle supporter I'd happily swap our flamboyance for some results.

Cliffhanger

Coach

I agree that a lot of Newcastle's success will depend on what Bennett can do with Mullen. Mullen has always had the potential but has failed to produce consistently. If Bennett can help Mullen develop the confidence to take on the line more and to take control of matches then the Knights will go far. That said I just can't see them winning a comp.

azza18

Juniors
If he can get them to improve their defense and get them to play consistently for the full 80 then they should easily finish within the top 6.