What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best buy of 2014

hitman82

Bench
Value for money is a different issue imo. All I care about is impact on the field... thus, Barba or Tomkins

Kiwi

First Grade
He already is a very good winger. Very, very good.

Gus has bought a lot of depth and with those new recruits and focus on their juniors, Penrith are building to what should be a very long and successful period for the club. Securing players like Peachey and Kevvie (and others) was very f**king smart.
will be hard to keep them all together, always is.

hunters

Juniors
Can't really see Hoppa being the best buy. They are paying him halfback money to play on the wing and the ball will go through two or three complete nuffies before he gets it. He will need to create a hell of a lot all by himself if he is to be the best buy.

legend

Coach
IMO Joel Thompson will have a great year for the Dragons. Hopoate is the other obvious choice.

Lambretta

First Grade
I will nominate one addition for each club that I rate highly

From there we can all argue about who is best and tell each other they're full of shit

Broncos - Ben Barba
Raiders - No one minus the addition of Ricky Stuart means they're already worse
Bulldogs - Chase Stanley (can I say that with a straight face?)
Sharks - Blake Ayshford, no Reni Maitua, no Daniel Holdsworth, no Eric Grothe Jnr oh f**k it this is hilarious
Titans - Maurice Blair
Sea Eagles - errrrr, errrrrr, errrrrr, ummmmmm well they signed Cheyse Blair :lol:
Storm - weeeeeeell they added weight to their pack by signing George Rose. No it's Hymel Hunt purely because his name is so very nearly rude
Knights - Out of Clint Newton and Michael Dobson I'll have to say their best gain was Kurt Gidley returning from injury
Cowboys - Lachlan Coote
Eels - Will Hopoate & Nathan Peats
Panthers - Elijah Taylor & Kevin Naiqama
Souths - Joe Picker
Dragons - Gareth Widdop, Dylan Farrell & Joel Thompson
Roosters - Jackson Hastings (in five years for some other club probably) It sure as shit aint Remi Casty
Warriors - Sam Tomkins & Jason Bukuya
Tigers - Some geriatrics & Dene Halatau

Looking at that lot all I can say is most clubs are already happy with their roster or they're going to announce some more signings soon.

The best are
Ben Barba (Broncos)
Lachlan Coote (Cowboys)
Will Hopoate & Nathan Peats (Eels)
Elijah Taylor (Panthers)
Gareth Widdop & Dylan Farrell (Dragons)
Sam Tomkins & Jason Bukuya (Warriors)

All in all, the only team that finished in the top eight and made a strong signing were the Cowboys - and they finished in 8th and therefore under performed. Plus Coote is a straight swap for Bowen who went to England

natheel

Coach
Can't really see Hoppa being the best buy. They are paying him halfback money to play on the wing and the ball will go through two or three complete nuffies before he gets it. He will need to create a hell of a lot all by himself if he is to be the best buy.

Arthur has already said Hoppa will be in the centres.

Lambretta

First Grade
Arthur has already said Hoppa will be in the centres.

Yep hangin' out w' Jarryd Hayne in da shoppin' centa when the Eels is loosin

452038-jarryd-hayne.jpg

Loudstrat

Coach
Are we the only club to sign two internationals?

Lee Mossop to fly under the radar, Gareth Ellis style, for the first third of the season, until he is "discovered". Probably against Souffs when he smashes all the Burgii at once.

Lambretta

First Grade
Mossop is a bloody good player. The fact I've mentioned Peats and Hopoate before him shows you how well the Eels have recruited. OK, sure you needed to recruit well and are missing quality in the second row, but you're not going to be the piss poor team you were last season.

It's a crying shame the other Pom pulled out because he was a decent second rower

natheel

Coach
Mossop is a bloody good player. The fact I've mentioned Peats and Hopoate before him shows you how well the Eels have recruited. OK, sure you needed to recruit well and are missing quality in the second row, but you're not going to be the piss poor team you were last season.

It's a crying shame the other Pom pulled out because he was a decent second rower

If only fui was a couple years younger he would be awesome for us and the team we have started to build. We need a huge impact forward like Fifita. Most of our forwards are hard workers or young and still learning like Terepo and Tanginoa

super_coach

First Grade
Barba is getting a lot of nominations, but although he has some freakish qualities, I put him in a similar class to Benji, burst onto the scene and was a freak,but as he got older and the other teams put in place strategies to negate his attack, he has came back to field. Maybe playing with the Bronks he may reinvent himself but I get the feeling has has peaked

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Yep hangin' out w' Jarryd Hayne in da shoppin' centa when the Eels is loosin

452038-jarryd-hayne.jpg

i piss myself everytime i see that pic :lol:

Barba is getting a lot of nominations, but although he has some freakish qualities, I put him in a similar class to Benji, burst onto the scene and was a freak,but as he got older and the other teams put in place strategies to negate his attack, he has came back to field. Maybe playing with the Bronks he may reinvent himself but I get the feeling has has peaked

the way barba was playing was TOO freakish for it to be a once off. gotta remember last year fell apart totally for him. in the all stars he was on fire till he got injured then it all went to shit.

i'm hoping a fresh start will help him

bluey

Bench
Well apparently nobody is upset he has left at the doggies, more like go away

beave

Coach
That Hayne shopping pic, can someone explain the story behind it please?

I was out of the country when it happened

Canard

Immortal
That Hayne shopping pic, can someone explain the story behind it please?

I was out of the country when it happened

The DT did a muck racking story about the fact that an injured Hayne didn't attend a Parra match and instead went shopping.

See story here:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/jarryd-hayne-goes-missing-as-his-parramatta-team-mates-are-flogged-by-manly/story-fnbh07p7-1226421978467

The Tele mocked up a photo of him at Woolies (as you see above) And some borderline genius, called kevin commented Mr big head,shopping in his footy gear??Mr big head,shopping in his footy gear?? really,as his team gets belted yet again...i wonder did he have his fancy coloured boots on as well. What n.r.l player goes shopping in his footy gear..... what an absolute Muppet..

And then followed by this belter

Not only was he shopping in his footy gear but he is posing for the cameras. GET RID OFF HIM!

Last edited: