What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best buy of 2014

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ben Barba might have a breakout year with a change of scenery.

Jamie Soward might be able to play his best football feeling like he is wanted at the Panthers.

mxlegend99

Referee
f**kwit Newton would have to be the worst.
I was never happy that the Panthers signed him, or that he played so often for us. But I am certain he will not be the worst buy of 2014. He'll atleast have a go for the Knights and probably deliver a decent return on what is likely a minimum wage contract.

The worst buys are the guys like Adam Blair and Tony Williams. Taking up huge chunks of the salary cap, forcing players out of the side to fit them in, and then delivering about 10% of the effort that Clint Newton gives.

I would expect a player like Barba, Hopoate, Widdop or Tomkins to end up being the worst value for money. All are considered star players with huge expectations on them. But each has a big area to fail and be the next Tony Williams or Adam Blair IMO. Barba is so far a one season wonder IMO, Hopoate has been away from the game for 2 years, Widdop has played his first grade career with the best spine around him under the best coach, and Tomkins will be new to the NRL. All are expected to do good things and for good reason, but I can see atleast one of them failing to deliver and being a shit buy. Not a guarantee ofcourse, but it just seems to be a trend each season that the bigger names on bigger money are the ones who end up failing to deliver. Atleast in the first season. ie. Tomkins could probably show up and be a deadset flop in 2014, but have an epic 2015 season after he adjusts to the NRL.

Canard

Immortal
I'd like to bullshit it is someone from my team, but we bought a cast off from the cellar dwellers Penriff and someone from lowly Saint Merge. So I have nothing

RWB

Bench
Hopefully Tyrone Peachey can become a weapon off the bench for Penrith.

I think Peachey will prove to be one of the best purchases of the season, maybe not for output in 2014 but he'll show his potential, still very raw but amazing talent. Kevin Naiqama is the other one I rate highly too, think he has the potential to be a very good winger.

I sort of question why on every other signing though.... as a whole I think there's been a shit load of shuffling at the club but the overall quality of the squad is pretty much the same as what it was in 2013. I don't see Wallace & Soward being an improvement on what you guys already had & the halves is definitely one area that needed to be addressed.

RWB

Bench
I'd like to bullshit it is someone from my team, but we bought a cast off from the cellar dwellers Penriff and someone from lowly Saint Merge. So I have nothing

Coote's a classy player if he can stay on the field, I reckon you'll eat your words about him. I'm tipping he'll do really well up at the Cowboys.

Spot On

Coach
I think Peachey will prove to be one of the best purchases of the season, maybe not for output in 2014 but he'll show his potential, still very raw but amazing talent. Kevin Naiqama is the other one I rate highly too, think he has the potential to be a very good winger.

I sort of question why on every other signing though.... as a whole I think there's been a shit load of shuffling at the club but the overall quality of the squad is pretty much the same as what it was in 2013. I don't see Wallace & Soward being an improvement on what you guys already had & the halves is definitely one area that needed to be addressed.

He already is a very good winger. Very, very good.

Gus has bought a lot of depth and with those new recruits and focus on their juniors, Penrith are building to what should be a very long and successful period for the club. Securing players like Peachey and Kevvie (and others) was very f**king smart.

POPEYE

Coach
He was 2 years ago. I reckon it will take until mid year at least to see him back on his pre-mission tradjectory.

Can't wait til he relegates Hayne to centre, could be the defining moment in Arthur's credibilty

What impact do you expect we'll see from Robinson at Melbourne . . . any interest ol' mate

Kiwi

First Grade
Tough call. Barba, Sam Williams, Widdop, Hoppa, Tompkins and Soward all bring something that was greatly needed at their new clubs.

I am gonna say either Barba or Tompkins will be the buy of the year.