What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best buy of 2014

gronkathon

First Grade
Paterson is on sweet FA comparatively at Wests Tigers.

He could be that vital cog needed to unlock the talent of the outside speed in the side

The Pelican

Juniors
The DT did a muck racking story about the fact that an injured Hayne didn't attend a Parra match and instead went shopping.

See story here:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/jarryd-hayne-goes-missing-as-his-parramatta-team-mates-are-flogged-by-manly/story-fnbh07p7-1226421978467

The Tele mocked up a photo of him at Woolies (as you see above) And some borderline genius, called kevin commented Mr big head,shopping in his footy gear??Mr big head,shopping in his footy gear?? really,as his team gets belted yet again...i wonder did he have his fancy coloured boots on as well. What n.r.l player goes shopping in his footy gear..... what an absolute Muppet..

And then followed by this belter

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

betcats

Referee
The DT did a muck racking story about the fact that an injured Hayne didn't attend a Parra match and instead went shopping.

See story here:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...flogged-by-manly/story-fnbh07p7-1226421978467

The Tele mocked up a photo of him at Woolies (as you see above) And some borderline genius, called kevin commented Mr big head,shopping in his footy gear??Mr big head,shopping in his footy gear?? really,as his team gets belted yet again...i wonder did he have his fancy coloured boots on as well. What n.r.l player goes shopping in his footy gear..... what an absolute Muppet..

And then followed by this belter

Hahahahaha wow howd i miss that.

maple_69

Bench
I will nominate one addition for each club that I rate highly

From there we can all argue about who is best and tell each other they're full of shit

Broncos - Ben Barba
Raiders - No one minus the addition of Ricky Stuart means they're already worse
Bulldogs - Chase Stanley (can I say that with a straight face?)
Sharks - Blake Ayshford, no Reni Maitua, no Daniel Holdsworth, no Eric Grothe Jnr oh f**k it this is hilarious
Titans - Maurice Blair
Sea Eagles - errrrr, errrrrr, errrrrr, ummmmmm well they signed Cheyse Blair :lol:
Storm - weeeeeeell they added weight to their pack by signing George Rose. No it's Hymel Hunt purely because his name is so very nearly rude
Knights - Out of Clint Newton and Michael Dobson I'll have to say their best gain was Kurt Gidley returning from injury
Cowboys - Lachlan Coote
Eels - Will Hopoate & Nathan Peats
Panthers - Elijah Taylor & Kevin Naiqama
Souths - Joe Picker
Dragons - Gareth Widdop, Dylan Farrell & Joel Thompson
Roosters - Jackson Hastings (in five years for some other club probably) It sure as shit aint Remi Casty
Warriors - Sam Tomkins & Jason Bukuya
Tigers - Some geriatrics & Dene Halatau

Looking at that lot all I can say is most clubs are already happy with their roster or they're going to announce some more signings soon.

The best are
Ben Barba (Broncos)
Lachlan Coote (Cowboys)
Will Hopoate & Nathan Peats (Eels)
Elijah Taylor (Panthers)
Gareth Widdop & Dylan Farrell (Dragons)
Sam Tomkins & Jason Bukuya (Warriors)

All in all, the only team that finished in the top eight and made a strong signing were the Cowboys - and they finished in 8th and therefore under performed. Plus Coote is a straight swap for Bowen who went to England

Barba, Tompkins, Soward and Widdop (maybe Hopa) are going to be the most influential on their new side.
I think Peats will be a really good pick up for the Eels, Bukuya coulf also be a smart bit of business. For my club I think Naiqama and Peachey will turn out to be gems.

skeepe

Immortal
Pretty interested to see what Lagi Setu can bring to the Raiders. I rates him big time before he went to the Broncos but he's fallen off the radar the last few years.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pretty interested to see what Lagi Setu can bring to the Raiders. I rates him big time before he went to the Broncos but he's fallen off the radar the last few years.

If you get him fit he will be an asset...big IF though. Wish him all the best though.

eozsmiles

Bench
Brad Arthur. Was given the credit for manly's sound defence last year and will have learnt plenty from the winning culture over there. Will be an improvement on his predecessor. One of the better decisions made by the parra board over the last few years. And they nearly merkined it up, too.

Brad Arthur. Was given the credit for manly's sound defence last year and will have learnt plenty from the winning culture over there. Will be an improvement on his predecessor. One of the better decisions made by the parra board over the last few years. And they nearly merkined it up, too.

Stephen Kearney mark 2 you could substitute a couple of names and its word for word.

NAS

Juniors
I think that we'll see a few of the lesser lights probably end up as the best buys.

1) Nathan Peats (Rabbitohs to Eels)- He's a f**king good player this kid, and was stuck behind Issac Luke. The eels are going from Matt Keating (the Bani of Hookers) to Peats. I think he improves the team immeasurably. He's a smart footballer too.

2) Martin Tapau (Bulldogs to Tigers)- He's not the Kasiano/Graham type prop, but he works hard. And that's what the tigers desperately need. Someone in the middle helping Farah out.

3) Tyrone Peachey (Sharks to Panthers)- Lots of class in this kid. Wouldn't mind betting that they're looking at him as an alternative 6.

4) Josh Starling (Rabbitohs to Manly)- He's got the attitude to fit right in at Manly. Was stuck behind some pretty decent players at souths but still got a few opportunities and played well when he got the shots.

5) Dunamis Lui (Broncos to Manly)- I'm a bit of a fan of this bloke. And Manly is the right place for him to be as well.

6) Chase Stanley (Dragons to Bulldogs)- Looks like a player who needs a few strong mentors. Enter Dezbollah.

7) Elijah Taylor (Warrior to Panthers)- Always been a big fan of this kid, and the only reason why he's not higher is I believe that they've paid top dollar for him.

8) Dylan Farrell (Rabbitohs to Dragons)- Farrell can play, no doubt. He was a little out of place at souths as their game plan was more focussed on a power game where as Farrell is more finesse, although he's got good size about him. I think Maguire also saw him more as a utility. The best thing the dragons can do is train him at centre and leave him there. Get him some early ball with room, and he'll return dividends.

9) Martin Kennedy (note- subject to not being exposed as a dirty drug cheat)- Kennedy would be no.1 on this list if he wasn't so injury prone. And injury prone he is. But when fit, can play and will give the broncos some much needed intimidation.

10) Kalifa Fai Fai Loa- I don't know what this kid did to upset Henry (and now Henry's at the titans as well, I know), but he can play football. Amazing athlete. If they can get him focussed, will be great for the titans.

I'll be more interested to see who people think will be the worst buys of the year. I actually believe that a few of the high profile guys are going to fall flat on their face...

betcats

Referee
Thread needs to be done after half a season or something.

Did anyone think Justin Horo would be the best buy of 2013?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm really excited about having Nathan Peats as our hooker. I know he's "nothing special", but he's a competitor, he's tough and he's miles ahead of Keating.

But I am expecting Hopoate to be our best. He's a freak.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mossop is a bloody good player. The fact I've mentioned Peats and Hopoate before him shows you how well the Eels have recruited. OK, sure you needed to recruit well and are missing quality in the second row, but you're not going to be the piss poor team you were last season.

It's a crying shame the other Pom pulled out because he was a decent second rower

I agree. Gareth Hock was the one player I was really looking forward to signing. He would single-handedly have turned our pack from dead average to decent, just because he's such a loose cannon.

Hock would probably have spent more time suspended than playing, but it would have been worth it. Love the merkin.

grouch

First Grade
Peats is simply average. Lacks the explosiveness of hookers like Luke, and lacks the guile of hookers like Smith, Farah and even Ennis. He's middle of the road. Another Nathan Friend or Mitch Rein.

Chase Stanley is similarly too slow for the centres and not quite skilful enough for the halves. If he's bulked up he might make a decent lock.

Josh Starling. Meh. Dave Tyrrell isn't that great and he was keeping him out of the Souths team. Manly have lost a couple of props so he should get more games as a result

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
Im hoping Cody Walker turns out to be a great signing, A young combination of Walker and Hampton might see the storm move on without missing a beat after cronk leaves.....Replacing Smith will be a whole other issue

Kiwi

First Grade
Barba is getting a lot of nominations, but although he has some freakish qualities, I put him in a similar class to Benji, burst onto the scene and was a freak,but as he got older and the other teams put in place strategies to negate his attack, he has came back to field. Maybe playing with the Bronks he may reinvent himself but I get the feeling has has peaked
huh....he was player of the hear in 2012, had an injury interrupted 2013 where the dogs attack always looked 100 times better when he was on the field. the off season has been harsh for barba if all what you listed happened in that time frame