What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best GF Outcome For The Game

NRLMad

Juniors
It won't have massive ratings if Sydney fans, who are the largest audience, refuse to watch and/or take no interest in the game.

So you'd prefer to put on a skirt and watch the AFL? Get over it, you'd surely pick a team regardless of who's in.

Eels Dude

Coach
So you'd prefer to put on a skirt and watch the AFL? Get over it, you'd surely pick a team regardless of who's in.

I couldn't give a flying f**k about the AFL grand final. People outside Sydney underestimate how much the Melbourne Storm are hated here after last year's 'discovery'. I'll watch the grand final, but there will be a lot of people that won't simply because the Storm are playing and nobody wants to see them win apart from half assed Storm supporters.

NRLMad

Juniors
I couldn't give a flying f**k about the AFL grand final. People outside Sydney underestimate how much the Melbourne Storm are hated here after last year's 'discovery'. I'll watch the grand final, but there will be a lot of people that won't simply because the Storm are playing and nobody wants to see them win apart from half assed Storm supporters.

I live in Sydney & to be honest; I think it just shows that despite losing everything how resilient they are. Latst year people were talking about then folding.. I am glad that they've doen well this year. I'd go for them after the warriors. I hate brisbane and manly.

Eels Dude

Coach
I live in Sydney & to be honest; I think it just shows that despite losing everything how resilient they are. Latst year people were talking about then folding.. I am glad that they've doen well this year. I'd go for them after the warriors. I hate brisbane and manly.

I hate Brisbane and Manly too... but I hate the Storm more. They pretty much nullified the NRL premierships between 2006-2009 and they don't deserve to be rewarded for that a year later.

As I said I'll watch the GF, I know a lot that won't if Melbourne make it though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the hatred is so strong surely you would just cheer the other team, regardless if you disliked them? I find it hard to believe a RL FAN wouldn't watch the NRL GF just because they disliked the Storm. I hope there's not many like you!

Eels Dude

Coach
If the hatred is so strong surely you would just cheer the other team, regardless if you disliked them? I find it hard to believe a RL FAN wouldn't watch the NRL GF just because they disliked the Storm. I hope there's not many like you!

Why would you want to cheer on a team you disliked? If it's Manly v Melbourne I'll be going for Manly but I won't be cheering for them. I already explained I'll be watching the Grand Final no matter what, but I know others that won't be and are already planning going away for the long weekend siimply because there's no side they care for in the GF. Do I need to repeat myself?

macnaz

Staff member
Manly V Storm teams both deemed ineligible due to several factors...
* Lack of Fans that will turn up.
* To many players breaching the Grubbery Cap in one game.
* And basicaly no one in the NRL would give a f**k if these teams were playing.
So by default a Bronco's V Warriors game would be deemed more appealing to the NRL public and will now be the official 2011 GF and Manly and Storm can just fight it out in the back streets of the cross till last man standing or last man running in and we can read the result in the telecrap afterwards in the mad monday report . :)

Last edited:

sting

Bench
I think you completely missed the point of my post - I said that the storm weren't victims and were fully to blame. Funny how people can turn it into a "lets laugh at the storm" thread but storm fans cant respond.

Best GF outcome for me is Storm Broncos due to tv figures.

Why? The storm will guarantee that the GF will have massive ratings which is pretty damn huge considering our tv deal is next year. If gives us a chance to show how well we can rate in Melbourne.

That plus it will guarantee that we will have a GF with a big rivalry.

The warriors making it would be great for the game in NZ though.

Regardless of whether people like the storm, the viewership will prove that broncos vs storm will outrate any other combination....

The lockyer and 'playing for nothing last year' factor/s will draw huge ratings.

How many GFs have Melbourne been in recently though? What's the difference?

Warriors being in it will have a much better effect on the game for reasons I've already mentioned in this thread.

Melbourne being in the grand final will anger the vast majority of league fans who feel they don't deserve to be in it. Not so soon anyway. Although I can see the positives in this via people tuning in just to support the opposition!

Overall, the only people who think it's better for the game to have the Storm feature in the GF are Storm fans.

I doubt I'll be watching the game regardless of who is playing. Better things to do that day!

big_matt

Juniors
How many GFs have Melbourne been in recently though? What's the difference?

Warriors being in it will have a much better effect on the game for reasons I've already mentioned in this thread.

Melbourne being in the grand final will anger the vast majority of league fans who feel they don't deserve to be in it. Not so soon anyway. Although I can see the positives in this via people tuning in just to support the opposition!

Overall, the only people who think it's better for the game to have the Storm feature in the GF are Storm fans.

I doubt I'll be watching the game regardless of who is playing. Better things to do that day!

Were the Storm not involved in the 3 highest regular season ratings games on tv this season?

No matter how much you hate the Storm (and how much you claim people don't want to watch them), that quite clearly shows fans across the country like watching them on telly.

It's therefore reasonable to assume that having them in the grand final would rate very well on tv. It's not complicated logic.

The question in this thread was not 'is it too soon for the storm to be allowed back in a gf?'. It was 'what matchup is best for the game'.

There is a good argument that having the Warriors in the final would be good for growing the game. On the other hand it might get lost amongst the yawnion coverage over there which wouldnt be good at all.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Manly V Storm teams both deemed ineligible due to several factors...
* Lack of Fans that will turn up.

You do realise all but the last 14 000 tickets for the GF have been sold already...

Both Melbourne and Manly GF's (2007 and 2008) sold out.

big_matt

Juniors
You do realise all but the last 14 000 tickets for the GF have been sold already...

Both Melbourne and Manly GF's (2007 and 2008) sold out.

Yea. I don't understand why some people seem to think having interstate/poorly supported teams will mean an empty stadium for the grand final when the tickets are sold out so far in advance.

sting

Bench
Were the Storm not involved in the 3 highest regular season ratings games on tv this season?

No matter how much you hate the Storm (and how much you claim people don't want to watch them), that quite clearly shows fans across the country like watching them on telly.

It's therefore reasonable to assume that having them in the grand final would rate very well on tv. It's not complicated logic.

The question in this thread was not 'is it too soon for the storm to be allowed back in a gf?'. It was 'what matchup is best for the game'.

There is a good argument that having the Warriors in the final would be good for growing the game. On the other hand it might get lost amongst the yawnion coverage over there which wouldnt be good at all.

I'm not sure, maybe they were?

As much as I claim people don't watch them? Did you not read this part - "Although I can see the positives in this via people tuning in just to support the opposition!"

There is no way for you to prove that the Storm in the GF will draw a higher television audience than the Warriors in the GF so that part of the argument is invalid. The game will rate its ass off no matter who plays in it so that is irrelevant.

We've seen the Storm in multiple GFs in the last few years and have seen no great benefits or improvements to the game.

Pyroz

Juniors
Give me the Broncos over Manly... but the Warriors are just so unlikely - they're either perky tits or hairy balls - usually in the same game.

big_matt

Juniors
I'm not sure, maybe they were?

As much as I claim people don't watch them? Did you not read this part - "Although I can see the positives in this via people tuning in just to support the opposition!"

There is no way for you to prove that the Storm in the GF will draw a higher television audience than the Warriors in the GF so that part of the argument is invalid. The game will rate its ass off no matter who plays in it so that is irrelevant.

We've seen the Storm in multiple GFs in the last few years and have seen no great benefits or improvements to the game.

Irrelevant? The participants in the grand final makes a big difference to viewing figures:

"The Storm have featured in the two best-viewed NRL Grand Finals, making it perhaps the best marketing prospect in Rugby League for sponsors."

Doesnt matter whether people are tuning in to support us or cheer on the opposition - we are good for viewing figures and hence sponsor engagement etc.

link: http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/10/05/nrl-grand-final-out-rates-the-afl/

Last edited:

sting

Bench
Ugghh.. We haven't seen the Warriors in a GF in recent history so there is no way of comparing. Every ex pat in the country will be tuning in to watch. Not to mention the neutrals who like the way they play and want to cheer on the underdog to their first premiership.

There's no way you can say because Melbourne have rated well previously they are guaranteed to rate better than an unknown proposition.

big_matt

Juniors
Ugghh.. We haven't seen the Warriors in a GF in recent history so there is no way of comparing. Every ex pat in the country will be tuning in to watch. Not to mention the neutrals who like the way they play and want to cheer on the underdog to their first premiership.

There's no way you can say because Melbourne have rated well previously they are guaranteed to rate better than an unknown proposition.

Where did I say anything was guaranteed?

None of us know who will rate the best. I think Storm would get a much bigger tv audience than Warriors but that's just my opinion.

sting

Bench
Exactly which means the discussion is pointless I guess.

The Storm have been in plenty of GFs lately and I haven't really seen any real benefits that have come from it.

I would love to have a chance to see what happens if the Warriors made it and took it out.

Billythekid

First Grade
Despite the discussion about ratings i still think a warriors GF victory or even loss would be pretty damn good for the game.

Actually we probably can work it out as the warriors have been in a GF. I really don't think it would even be close.

It won't have massive ratings if Sydney fans, who are the largest audience, refuse to watch and/or take no interest in the game.

Which is more than made up for by the extra viewers we get in Melbourne. Of course you would know this if you weren't a complete moron blinded by his hate for the storm.

Exactly which means the discussion is pointless I guess.

Well than you might as well stop positng in this thread. All the benefits being discussed are hypothetical to some degree. That doesn't mean they are pointless. Also just because we don't know something is 100% likely we can still work out what is the likely outcome.

sting

Bench
Despite the discussion about ratings i still think a warriors GF victory or even loss would be pretty damn good for the game.

Actually we probably can work it out as the warriors have been in a GF. I really don't think it would even be close.

Well than you might as well stop positng in this thread. All the benefits being discussed are hypothetical to some degree. That doesn't mean they are pointless. Also just because we don't know something is 100% likely we can still work out what is the likely outcome.

This is true, but it was 10 years ago. Can't really compare as a lot has changed since then, especially with the game in NZ

LOL I was referring to my discussion with old mate that was going round in circles.

I'd like to see what could happen if the Warriors get through. We've seen what happens when the Storm have made it a few times already.

NRLMad

Juniors
The Storm have been in plenty of GFs lately and I haven't really seen any real benefits that have come from it.

- Last year they played for nothing;
- This year they signed up new sponsors & extended others
- Attendance/s at their home ground do not rely on away support; Compare this to a STG/Cronulla game for instance. If Cronulla was in Melbourne, they would easiuly have died in the first few years.
- They are going to blood their first Victorian raised players (U20s - http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/de...play&id=3870&player=mahe-fonua&team=Storm-NYC) gun palyer - star of the future.
- They have a battle hardened support base of at least 10K. I do recall a game with the roosters/cows getting 6.5K.
- If they win this year, you'd expect their attendance to grow by 2K.