What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best GF Outcome For The Game

Cronk2011

Juniors
Surely what's best for the game is seeing the 2 best and most consistent teams all season fight it out on Grand Final day, that being Storm vs Sea-Eagles. Sometimes i find it funny how the best team over 26 weeks is not even a blip on the radar, but winning a 4 round KO comp is the holy grail! Is the FA Cup bigger than the premier league?

Tommax25

Bench
How?

Everyone keeps repeating this mantra but i'm not seeing many facts. We've had all 3 players since they were just starting out. What's to say we couldn't have kept them without cheating the cap? And why have Slater and Cronk just signed long term deals to stay if they wouldnt stay without us cheating the cap? And who is Slayter?

Spelling errors in other peoples posts=the last haven for people without a valid point. It kind of loses impact when everything you say before that indiactes you knew what he meant and then you throw in at the end "who is Slayter?". Kind of makes you look petty :eek:

RHCP

Bench
Surely what's best for the game is seeing the 2 best and most consistent teams all season fight it out on Grand Final day, that being Storm vs Sea-Eagles. Sometimes i find it funny how the best team over 26 weeks is not even a blip on the radar, but winning a 4 round KO comp is the holy grail! Is the FA Cup bigger than the premier league?
If you don't like it go watch soccer.

Cronk2011

Juniors
If you don't like it go watch soccer.

I do watch soccer, aswell as rugby league. I don't get your point? You do know RL used to be a 1st past the post sport aswell yeah? Friendly people on here to new guy's :?

firechild

First Grade

Go introduce yourself you Popeye, he'll love you forever.

It's been discussed a million times. Until we reach a point where all teams play each other an even number of times and teams are not decimated by representative commitments, the minor premiership will be just that...minor.

Cronk2011

Juniors
Go introduce yourself you Popeye, he'll love you forever.

It's been discussed a million times. Until we reach a point where all teams play each other an even number of times and teams are not decimated by representative commitments, the minor premiership will be just that...minor.

Fair enough, like i said i'm new and have no doubt missed all the hot topics of the past, sorry guys. Your right about the minor premiership, i was just stating i think it's a shame it's lost it's standing thats all.

sting

Bench
- Last year they played for nothing;

Rightly so.

- This year they signed up new sponsors & extended others

As do most teams. Did they not lose some as well?

- Attendance/s at their home ground do not rely on away support; Compare this to a STG/Cronulla game for instance. If Cronulla was in Melbourne, they would easiuly have died in the first few years.

They are the only team in the alleged sporting capital of Australia. They have been extremely successful (albeit illegally) they should be selling out their stadium week in week out regardless.

- They are going to blood their first Victorian raised players (U20s - http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/de...play&id=3870&player=mahe-fonua&team=Storm-NYC) gun palyer - star of the future.

Wow, only took 14 years

- They have a battle hardened support base of at least 10K. I do recall a game with the roosters/cows getting 6.5K.

- If they win this year, you'd expect their attendance to grow by 2K.

Refer to previous points.

Cronk2011

Juniors
Who do you support Sting if you don't mind me asking? You seem to really hate the idea of a team in melbourne (not that i blame any fan for feeling this way after the salary cap rorts). Are you one of those guys that will never get over what we did ?(fair enough might i add)

firechild

First Grade
A lot of people will never forgive Melbourne. I won't forgive them any time soon. It is compounded by the fact that Melbourne have also brought so many poor tactics into the game. Smith, Slater and Blair have been the worst offenders and Melbourne will be my most despised team until all 3 of them are gone. What they did was only marginally worse than what Brisbane did in the mid-90s though.

RockWheel

Bench
I do watch soccer, aswell as rugby league. I don't get your point? You do know RL used to be a 1st past the post sport aswell yeah? Friendly people on here to new guy's :?

Point being we've had finals for almost the entire history of the game in Australia. To win a premiership you have to be consistant enough to make the top half of the ladder, then you have to beat the top teams in high pressure, high intensity games.

Cronk2011

Juniors
A lot of people will never forgive Melbourne. I won't forgive them any time soon. It is compounded by the fact that Melbourne have also brought so many poor tactics into the game. Smith, Slater and Blair have been the worst offenders and Melbourne will be my most despised team until all 3 of them are gone. What they did was only marginally worse than what Brisbane did in the mid-90s though.

Fair enough, but the wrestle and the niggle isn't any one players fault, they are coached and trained to be the best at it, now all 16 clubs employ FT wrestling coaches, i agree it's a shame this is the way the game has gone but it's up too the administration to govern the game in a way where rules can't get exploited like this, honestly what we do in the ruck by the letter of the law is fair game and its abit hypocritical to still always have the finger pointed at us, sure we may have been the 1st to employ the tactics, but were not the only one's using it. And i'm not being all us against them like alot of the gooese's on here, trust me sometime's i sit watching the lads play and i'm screaming at them for abit of laterall movement or to just f***** get up off the tackled player, we do get away with murder in the ruck, but you give someone an inch they'll take a mile, until it's outlawed i can't see anyone stopping anytime soon. It's a shame really.

Cronk2011

Juniors
Point being we've had finals for almost the entire history of the game in Australia. To win a premiership you have to be consistant enough to make the top half of the ladder, then you have to beat the top teams in high pressure, high intensity games.

I see what your saying, it just frustrates me that a team with a 12-12 record can cop a 40 point hiding in the finals and still get a shot in a one off game against a team who runs undefeated up until GF day. And be crowned undoubted champions if they somehow jag a win. I know there is no perfect system, but thats an argument for another day.

sting

Bench
Who do you support Sting if you don't mind me asking? You seem to really hate the idea of a team in melbourne (not that i blame any fan for feeling this way after the salary cap rorts). Are you one of those guys that will never get over what we did ?(fair enough might i add)

Mate I'm a Saints fan. I'm not against the idea of a team in Melbourne, in fact I always love it when our teams play against each other cause they're normally cracking games.

I just hate the Storm for the things they've done, not to mention the fact their team is full of Queenslanders. I personally will get over it one day but I think it's a joke that they get busted and then the next year everything is ok again.

Sure they got stripped of the titles but does that really take anything away? I mean really??? They still got to celebrate their victories and by the looks of things it's very likely they will this year too. I would like to have seen them struggle for a bit, to go through the downtimes that every team goes through. Instead, they're back like nothing ever happened and it's debatable whether they are still benefiting from the cheating (I'm someone who says they obviously are)

If they win this year, a lot of league fans will question the validity of the win and it will be forever tainted, much like the Bulldogs of '04.

How can that be the best outcome for the game?

Cronk2011

Juniors
Mate I'm a Saints fan. I'm not against the idea of a team in Melbourne, in fact I always love it when our teams play against each other cause they're normally cracking games.

I just hate the Storm for the things they've done, not to mention the fact their team is full of Queenslanders. I personally will get over it one day but I think it's a joke that they get busted and then the next year everything is ok again.

Sure they got stripped of the titles but does that really take anything away? I mean really??? They still got to celebrate their victories and by the looks of things it's very likely they will this year too. I would like to have seen them struggle for a bit, to go through the downtimes that every team goes through. Instead, they're back like nothing ever happened and it's debatable whether they are still benefiting from the cheating (I'm someone who says they obviously are)

If they win this year, a lot of league fans will question the validity of the win and it will be forever tainted, much like the Bulldogs of '04.

How can that be the best outcome for the game?

I guess as a Storm fan i see a GF win as the start of a new era, i understand other fans frustration and i know how i'd feel if we were to lose to a team cheating the rules, but even you must admire the determination and grit shown by this new squad of players, the rise from adversity from for all you & i know could possibly be innocent players/coaches in this whole fiasco.
I mean people say we didn't really get punished yet we were (rightfully) stripped of 2 premierships and 3 MP, fined $1.5 million dollars, made to play for nothing all year, heckled, abused, laughed at. For 18 months i've personally been abused for standing by my team, even though i've never condoned what we did. Yet other fan's want me to apoligise? We are innocent bystanders like you, except we have to live with the cast shadow over us, just for supporting our footy team.
At the start of the year when we ran out with our rookie 20's like Duffie, O'Neill, Widdop, Bromwich & Proctor along with "Nuffie's" no other club wanted like Woolnough, Lowe, M.Blair, Norrie, Lowrie, Kostjasyn, Waqa etc nobody gave us a chance of doing anything this year, and i think if we ran 10th no one would care, it's because were 1st it irratates people.
I don't know what we can do as a club to show were ready to play fair, all the rats in administration have been weeded out and sacked, all the books are now level, we've gone through 18 months of hell, a large portion of people in the firing line have been innocent people like myself.
There's no smugness here, no siege mentality, i'm embarrassed and ashamed, we cheated the rules and denied everyone else a fair go, but i love my footy, and i will always support my team, and you will be waiting awhile if you think any true fan would ever apoligise for doing so. You say you wish we had downtime's? We as fans have had the darkest imaginable. You say were back like this never happened, this club and it's fans are forever scarred and honestly dude, it f***ing sucks, i just wanna watch some footy and cheer for my team.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I guess as a Storm fan i see a GF win as the start of a new era, i understand other fans frustration and i know how i'd feel if we were to lose to a team cheating the rules, but even you must admire the determination and grit shown by this new squad of players, the rise from adversity from for all you & i know could possibly be innocent players/coaches in this whole fiasco.
I mean people say we didn't really get punished yet we were (rightfully) stripped of 2 premierships and 3 MP, fined $1.5 million dollars, made to play for nothing all year, heckled, abused, laughed at. For 18 months i've personally been abused for standing by my team, even though i've never condoned what we did. Yet other fan's want me to apoligise? We are innocent bystanders like you, except we have to live with the cast shadow over us, just for supporting our footy team.
At the start of the year when we ran out with our rookie 20's like Duffie, O'Neill, Widdop, Bromwich & Proctor along with "Nuffie's" no other club wanted like Woolnough, Lowe, M.Blair, Norrie, Lowrie, Kostjasyn, Waqa etc nobody gave us a chance of doing anything this year, and i think if we ran 10th no one would care, it's because were 1st it irratates people.
I don't know what we can do as a club to show were ready to play fair, all the rats in administration have been weeded out and sacked, all the books are now level, we've gone through 18 months of hell, a large portion of people in the firing line have been innocent people like myself.
There's no smugness here, no siege mentality, i'm embarrassed and ashamed, we cheated the rules and denied everyone else a fair go, but i love my footy, and i will always support my team, and you will be waiting awhile if you think any true fan would ever apoligise for doing so. You say you wish we had downtime's? We as fans have had the darkest imaginable. You say were back like this never happened, this club and it's fans are forever scarred and honestly dude, it f***ing sucks, i just wanna watch some footy and cheer for my team.

You are an example of the genuine Storm fans that got devastated by the f*cked up events of last season. Good on you for facing up to what happened & good luck for this weekend